The (Un) Official Football thread

Put the world to rights here (off-topic discussion)
Gandalf the Red
Hell Bent for Leather

Re: The (Un) Official Football thread

Postby Gandalf the Red » Wed May 04, 2016 10:57 pm

Tet wrote:
Gandalf the Red wrote:What's the odds that Leicester will go straight down? Might be worth a punt. :P

Leicester are slightly more likely to be relegated than to win the Premier League next season according to the bookies. Might be worth a punt. You can get a price of 34ish.

And Burnley are also 5000 to 1 to win the league. :P
“He likes having the ball, playing football, passes. It’s like an orchestra. But it’s a silent song. But I like heavy metal more. I always want it loud.” - Jürgen Klopp

kanet666
Hell Bent for Leather

Postby kanet666 » Wed May 04, 2016 11:26 pm

Gandalf the Red wrote:
Tet wrote:
Gandalf the Red wrote:What's the odds that Leicester will go straight down? Might be worth a punt. :P

Leicester are slightly more likely to be relegated than to win the Premier League next season according to the bookies. Might be worth a punt. You can get a price of 34ish.

I saw someone say more people have put bets on Burnley than Man City at least one bookies... they'll be getting any money they paid out on Leicester back plus excess. The house always wins as they say.
Steam = Starchild

Catch me at:
Nightwish - London

Gojira - London
Sabaton - London

houston4044
Hell Bent for Leather

Postby houston4044 » Thu May 05, 2016 11:11 am

kanet666 wrote:

I saw someone say more people have put bets on Burnley than Man City at least one bookies... they'll be getting any money they paid out on Leicester back plus excess. The house always wins as they say.[/quote]

Was talking about this with friends yesterday, the amount of money the bookies are going to make from people thinking some other small team are going to win the league they'll recoup their money back easy.

Another all Madrid CL final then, City just looked like deers caught in headlights. Been quite a season though; never thought Leicester would win the prem, L'Pool to get to any kind of semi final and City to get out of the group stages of the CL. Crazy stuff.

Gandalf the Red
Hell Bent for Leather

Postby Gandalf the Red » Thu May 05, 2016 11:27 pm

Don't worry. We 're doing pretty well by ourselves. :yes:
“He likes having the ball, playing football, passes. It’s like an orchestra. But it’s a silent song. But I like heavy metal more. I always want it loud.” - Jürgen Klopp

houston4044
Hell Bent for Leather

Postby houston4044 » Fri May 06, 2016 8:30 am

Gandalf the Red wrote:Don't worry. We 're doing pretty well by ourselves. :yes:

Bring back Rodgers, go on, you know you want to really

Gandalf the Red
Hell Bent for Leather

Postby Gandalf the Red » Thu May 12, 2016 1:20 pm

Martinez sacked.

I would have thought that they could have waited until the end of the season, given him a "thank you for getting us to the semi finals and good luck for the future" type of send off.

Unfortunately there's little sentiment in football anymore.

houston4044
Hell Bent for Leather

Postby houston4044 » Thu May 12, 2016 3:09 pm

Mike Ashley relegated, couldn't have gone to a more deserving person.

Martinez... I'm always on the fence with him, did well at Swansea but he only really does well at teams in his first season when the spine of the team was established by his predecessor, although I agree with Gandalf that it is unfair and a bit pointless dropping him with 1 game left and nothing to play for.

Did have a bit of a giggle at McNulty's BBC article, apparently the North East will be represented in the PL next season by " Boro and Norwich" :lol:

kanet666
Hell Bent for Leather

Postby kanet666 » Thu May 12, 2016 3:12 pm

Gandalf the Red wrote:Martinez sacked.

I would have thought that they could have waited until the end of the season, given him a "thank you for getting us to the semi finals and good luck for the future" type of send off.

Unfortunately there's little sentiment in football anymore.

I think they've save him from a hostile atmosphere at the weekend tbh. They've been absolutely dire recently.

Sunderland stay up and Allardyce's "relegation Teflon man" status is preserved. Always happy to see Newcastle relegated too. Championship is going to be really difficult league next season, lots of big clubs desperate to return to the big time and the cash that comes with it.
Steam = Starchild

Catch me at:
Nightwish - London

Gojira - London
Sabaton - London

Danroush
Denim Demon

Postby Danroush » Fri May 13, 2016 1:22 am

Gandalf the Red wrote:I don't really think the Clough era Forest broke Liverpool's dominance. :lol:

Beat us in a European Cup match and that was it really. I appreciate they won two European Cups. But that's no where near what we won in the same era. :P

Beat you in the cup match AND won a league title, in a time that without those upsets would have become quite Schumacher-esque, to borrow from another sport :P

Glad to see Newcastle down, serves you right for hiring Steve McLaren. Useless tosspot who has been a failure at almost every job he's done. Somehow seemed to fit well with Derby though. I'll figure out a good joke for that later when I don't have a degree to worry about :P

Also wish sunderland had gone down. Don't like Allerdyce much
Freyja wrote:I never used to be able to fit a whole one in my mouth. But now I can with ease.

TheLotusEater193 wrote:WHY IS IT SO TINY?!

TheLotusEater193 wrote:To be fair 1 and a half minutes is really good if you've never done it before.

http://www.facebook.com/Danroush1

houston4044
Hell Bent for Leather

Postby houston4044 » Sat May 14, 2016 9:06 am

Sanchez to leave Watford at the end of the season. He far exceeded most people's expectations (except the board obviously) don't see why they'd get rid of him, with the squad and funds available to him I'd say he's done really well.

Gandalf the Red
Hell Bent for Leather

Postby Gandalf the Red » Sun May 15, 2016 1:07 pm

Funny how deluded that some Evertonians are. Now they seem to think that they are getting Mourinho and that he's getting £500 million to spend. :lol:

Tet
Denim Demon

Postby Tet » Sun May 15, 2016 4:54 pm

Well that was a depressingly predictable shitty end to the season. The last 4 games have all been pretty grim. Still, if you'd have offered me third place and direct entry to the Champions League group stages at the start of the season, I'd have gladly taken it. We still at least have a decent starting point on which to build for next year.
CH3NO2 -- It's the only way to be sure
You laugh at me because I'm different. I pity you, you're all the same...

houston4044
Hell Bent for Leather

Postby houston4044 » Sun May 15, 2016 6:53 pm

"Controlled explosion at Old Trafford"

So they finally fired Van Gaal then? :P

Tet wrote:Well that was a depressingly predictable shitty end to the season. The last 4 games have all been pretty grim. Still, if you'd have offered me third place and direct entry to the Champions League group stages at the start of the season, I'd have gladly taken it. We still at least have a decent starting point on which to build for next year.

Pretty much sums it up for me, for most the season I was amazed and for the last month we've started slipping into the Spurs of old which is a massive shame. Still, I have some optimism for next season if we handle the window correctly

kanet666
Hell Bent for Leather

Postby kanet666 » Mon May 16, 2016 10:31 am

Good to see Woy has picked "in form" players then! England won't win anything until we get a boss who has the balls to drop someone who doesn't deserve to be there. Wilshere shouldn't be anywhere near that squad, nor should Rashford, Delph, Sterling, Henderson or Stones (at least). I'd have taken a couple of the West Ham lads personally.
Steam = Starchild

Catch me at:
Nightwish - London

Gojira - London
Sabaton - London

Jobdone
Denim Demon

Postby Jobdone » Mon May 16, 2016 10:52 am

Insane that Wilshere/Delph/Sterling have got in considering they've done absolutely fuck all, but at a certain point you run out of other decent players to pick up.

Realistically Noble should've been in over the past few years, but it's getting a bit late to start bedding him in. Caroll/Defoe were never going to get in the squad in the first place.