Trivial Grumblings

Put the world to rights here (off-topic discussion)
Tet
Denim Demon

Re: Trivial Grumblings

Postby Tet » Fri Jul 22, 2016 4:34 pm

Nantha wrote:Can't really decide whether to go to rambling man tomorrow.....
I got offered a guestlist, im not doing anything better, but i just can't be fucked?

I'd decided to give it a miss as they lineup wasn't fantastic for me this year. It's not terrible, and I'd enjoy it, but mostly not enough to go out of my way. But then today, Midge Ure has been dropping hints that he might be joining Thin Lizzy on stage, which has certainly got me tempted to go...
CH3NO2 -- It's the only way to be sure
You laugh at me because I'm different. I pity you, you're all the same...

Nantha
Denim Demon

Postby Nantha » Fri Jul 22, 2016 7:03 pm

I guess i've just been repeatedly disappointed with UK festivals for a while and i'm not really willing to repeat the experience so soon. I'm sure i'll regret it when i'm bored tomorrow evening and no ones about, well let me know if you don't end up going and you fancy a pint in london

tranmerefan
Denim Demon

Postby tranmerefan » Fri Jul 22, 2016 11:11 pm

My drive home (at half 11pm) was erractic enough that the police pulled me over for a breathaliser test. After a quick chat in her car she let me go without the test because she couldn't smell anything and I held my hands up in saying that I'm exhausted and that won't help.

On one hand it's good that they're out on friday nights pulling people over and I was always going to pass the test as I've only drank tea and coca-cola (which I was insistent in telling her for some reason) but on the other hand I now can't sleep because I've had far too much of an adrenaline rush and I'm paranoid about my driving. FFS :lol: :lol:

Not liking the fact she knew where I lived once I've given my name and DOB in but that's Teresa May's Police State for you.
Last.fm Profile

Facebook

BLIND GUARDIANl; FEN; A FOREST OF STARS; FEN; NIGHTWISH; FEN; OLD CORPSE ROAD; FEN; UFO; FEN; WODENSTHRONE; FEN; AGALLOCH AND FOR THE LOVE OF GOD FEN FOR BOA 2014

onona
Knight of the Eemerald Svord

Postby onona » Sat Jul 23, 2016 12:46 pm

tranmerefan wrote:Not liking the fact she knew where I lived once I've given my name and DOB in but that's Teresa May's Police State for you.

I'm no fan of May or the Tories, but that's a bit silly, don't you think? Your address is linked to your driving license; in fact, my license has my home address printed on it.

Jim
Denim Demon

Postby Jim » Sat Jul 23, 2016 12:51 pm

onona wrote:
tranmerefan wrote:Not liking the fact she knew where I lived once I've given my name and DOB in but that's Teresa May's Police State for you.

I'm no fan of May or the Tories, but that's a bit silly, don't you think? Your address is linked to your driving license; in fact, my license has my home address printed on it.

Exactly :lol:
Who the hell reads anything in sigs these days, unless it's an animated gif?

Gandalf the Red
Hell Bent for Leather

Postby Gandalf the Red » Sat Jul 23, 2016 1:30 pm

I think he means after giving just his NAME and DOB. He doesn't mention giving his licence in.
“He likes having the ball, playing football, passes. It’s like an orchestra. But it’s a silent song. But I like heavy metal more. I always want it loud.” - Jürgen Klopp

onona

Postby onona » Sat Jul 23, 2016 2:00 pm

Gandalf the Red wrote:I think he means after giving just his NAME and DOB. He doesn't mention giving his licence in.

Your license is generally the first thing they check when pulling you over. If, however, you didn't have it on you, it would nevertheless be linked to your name and DOB, along with your address, if they checked. That's hardly a hallmark of a police state, it's just a way of verifying whether you have a right to drive.

Jim
Denim Demon

Postby Jim » Sat Jul 23, 2016 2:06 pm

Don't forget that if they pulled you over from behind in their car your number plate would have been picked up on their ANPR camera and all current details about that car looked up right away. Whether your tax is due, if you passed your last MOT and if it's due, and the name and address of the registered keeper. All before you've even came to a stop on the hard shoulder.
Who the hell reads anything in sigs these days, unless it's an animated gif?

Nantha
Denim Demon

Postby Nantha » Sat Jul 23, 2016 2:26 pm

whats wrong with the police knowing your address anyway?

Gandalf the Red
Hell Bent for Leather

Postby Gandalf the Red » Sat Jul 23, 2016 2:39 pm

Well they never seem to know where the Muslim terrorists are. :lol:

To the rest of it. No idea about driving. But when I went to hospital with a cut hand a few years ago they knew much more about me than they should have known considering I haven't been registered with a doctor since 1990. The fact they knew my address at the time was very disturbing considering I didn't officially live there and my name wasn't on any bills.

That was Blair and his police state. :P
“He likes having the ball, playing football, passes. It’s like an orchestra. But it’s a silent song. But I like heavy metal more. I always want it loud.” - Jürgen Klopp

onona

Postby onona » Sat Jul 23, 2016 3:20 pm

Gandalf the Red wrote:Well they never seem to know where the Muslim terrorists are. :lol:

To the rest of it. No idea about driving. But when I went to hospital with a cut hand a few years ago they knew much more about me than they should have known considering I haven't been registered with a doctor since 1990. The fact they knew my address at the time was very disturbing considering I didn't officially live there and my name wasn't on any bills.

That was Blair and his police state. :P

Now that is actually quite interesting, although if I had to hazard a guess, I'd say it could simply be a case of the NHS having access to your HMRC contact information to confirm that you contribute NI? Although that wouldn't really be their business. Having said that, I'm occasionally asked for my NI number for unrelated things - for example, since doing away with the paper counterpart for your driving license, some car rental companies now require a code from the DVLA to show if you're currently down any points on your license. And part of filling out the form to get that code involves supplying your NI number. Which is odd, but probably a part of identity verification. Anyway, there's always going to be an address associated with your NI number, and it's likely to always be your current one if you're employed in any way.

Hospitals require your address because it's how they determine where the funds for your treatment come from (well, this is what I was once told when using a walk-in NHS clinic), as it's apparently sorted by the surgery where you're registered. I can't recall for sure, but I am fairly positive that my NI number was asked for on the registration form for my GP. It's possible that if you're not registered with a GP, that the hospital will go directly for your NI information from elsewhere, thereby finding out your details.

Food for thought though.

Turbo
Denim Demon

Postby Turbo » Sat Jul 23, 2016 7:44 pm

My foot is finished! No blisters just my ankle fucking cains! Though after walking 20 miles in two days it's probably expected!

Green Man III
Consort of the Beast

Postby Green Man III » Sun Jul 24, 2016 10:02 pm

When bands refer to their fans as "the kids". For fucks sakes, I'm older than most of the band members that say this shit.

Gandalf the Red
Hell Bent for Leather

Postby Gandalf the Red » Sun Jul 24, 2016 11:22 pm

:P

fluffymoo
Denim Demon

Postby fluffymoo » Mon Jul 25, 2016 8:47 am

Not even 11 o'clock in the morning here and I'm already necking anti psychotics. Today is a heavy day.