Next Announcement

August 10-13, Catton Park, Walton on Trent, Derbyshire
houston4044
Denim Demon

Re: Next Announcement

Postby houston4044 » Sun Oct 09, 2016 4:31 pm

Skippy wrote:
houston4044 wrote:
As for Gojira, I think their problem is that they're playing seemingly everywhere (good for exposure no doubt) but why elevate someone to one of your biggest draws when people have lots of chances to see them? Sabaton for example are only playing the 1 Brixton show and AA are playing 3-4? Dates and haven't added extra when they sold out (which means they aren't milking their draw like Gojira have); so both are percieved as stronger bookings than Gojira because there is a demand that hasn't been met/more people will want to see them

Again, I disagree with this. I don't entirely know about Amon Amarth because I don't like them so don't pay much attention (I know they did a huge tour last year where they played tiny venues but otherwise I have no idea), but I think Sabaton would be a weak headliner BECAUSE they've been over here so much. I've seen them every year at least once since 2012, they've just come off a big tour earlier this year, and now they are doing a few (4?) dates next year with Accept as well. I think people are starting to get fed up of them. Give it a few years off any maybe.

And again this is where I disagree with you :lol:

I would say Sabaton are heading towards what I call "Korn" territory, if they don't get elevated to a headline slot now while they have momentum I can see them missing the boat for good and being perennial subs; which wouldn't be in either BOA's or the band's interest. They maybe touring a lot but at the same time their momentum is allowing them to do that, it's not that they're spamming the same audiences (in fact they're moving up in venue size which would mean they have won over new fans) which would lead to overexposure since it's the same people buying tickets over and over (although yes, I admit it's nearing overkill). With their new album being pretty much a dud, they have to solidify themselves now in case they start to stall (the next album has to be a banger I think to prevent this) but accepting a sub spot now? That would pretty much see them show them as subs at best to people.

For Amon Amarth? While their tours are fairly intermediate venues with strong supports, I still think they are a band with an appeal that would attract a lot of people to a festival as one of three headliners (read: I wouldn't make them your center piece, but matched with 2 other strong headliners and I can see it working).

I would like to point out that I'm not advocating BOA book them as headliners (while I like AA I'm already seeing them in November and I only like a few Sabaton songs) as there are a host of other bands I'd prefer to headline next year :lol:

Gandalf the Red
Denim Demon

Postby Gandalf the Red » Sun Oct 09, 2016 4:38 pm

Erm... Sabaton are playing Manchester Apollo which is the same venue that Judas Priest play. They're already far too big for The Ritz and Academy. If they aren't seen as being headliners then I don't know who is.
“He likes having the ball, playing football, passes. It’s like an orchestra. But it’s a silent song. But I like heavy metal more. I always want it loud.” - Jürgen Klopp

Skippy
Hell Bent for Leather

Postby Skippy » Sun Oct 09, 2016 4:39 pm

someone else wrote:That seems logical but some bands seem to escape that stagnation that comes with over familiarity - Slayer, Anthrax got huge crowds when they play year in year out - there didn't seem to be a lower crowd than the last time they played. They have a history of being solid and dependable - like Motorhead or Alice Cooper, but they won't be around forever so taking a punt on 'new' (I know AA and Sabaton have been knocking around for ages) headliners may be worth a punt on equally dependable festival bands, albeit ones that are unlikely to get to the past peaks of the Slayers, Megadeths etc - otherwise what else is there? The Parkway Drives of the world headlining?

All of the other bands you've mentioned have huge name draws though, even outside metal. Maybe the shortage of other bands might push them up a bit, but I honestly don't think they are there yet. If you are going to take a risk on a band, I'd rather it be Devin, who at least hasn't played the festival in a while.
houston4044 wrote:
I would say Sabaton are heading towards what I call "Korn" territory, if they don't get elevated to a headline slot now while they have momentum I can see them missing the boat for good and being perennial subs; which wouldn't be in either BOA's or the band's interest. They maybe touring a lot but at the same time their momentum is allowing them to do that, it's not that they're spamming the same audiences (in fact they're moving up in venue size which would mean they have won over new fans) which would lead to overexposure since it's the same people buying tickets over and over (although yes, I admit it's nearing overkill). With their new album being pretty much a dud, they have to solidify themselves now in case they start to stall (the next album has to be a banger I think to prevent this) but accepting a sub spot now? That would pretty much see them show them as subs at best to people.

For Amon Amarth? While their tours are fairly intermediate venues with strong supports, I still think they are a band with an appeal that would attract a lot of people to a festival as one of three headliners (read: I wouldn't make them your center piece, but matched with 2 other strong headliners and I can see it working).

I would like to point out that I'm not advocating BOA book them as headliners (while I like AA I'm already seeing them in November and I only like a few Sabaton songs) as there are a host of other bands I'd prefer to headline next year :lol:

I see what you are saying with Sabaton, which is why I don't think they should play next year at all. Maybe get a mainstage slot at Download, and work through into a headlining slot the following year. As for Amon Amarth, I'm bias because I don't really like them, and I don't really think they are that big, but perhaps a "co-headline" slot with Emperor might be the way to go.

The trouble for me is that with Nightwish and Judas Priest counted out, who else is there? Emperor back would be pretty weak, but I guess acceptable, but having them AND an Amon Amarth/Sabaton as headliners, even with a bigger band isn't particularly inspiring.
BANDS I LIKE FOR BLOODSTOCK!!!

houston4044
Denim Demon

Postby houston4044 » Sun Oct 09, 2016 5:09 pm

Skippy wrote:I see what you are saying with Sabaton, which is why I don't think they should play next year at all. Maybe get a mainstage slot at Download, and work through into a headlining slot the following year. As for Amon Amarth, I'm bias because I don't really like them, and I don't really think they are that big, but perhaps a "co-headline" slot with Emperor might be the way to go.

The trouble for me is that with Nightwish and Judas Priest counted out, who else is there? Emperor back would be pretty weak, but I guess acceptable, but having them AND an Amon Amarth/Sabaton as headliners, even with a bigger band isn't particularly inspiring.

I should of stated I don't think Sabaton should headline next year, more that the next time they play they should (say 2019). As for Download? Unless it's a fairly prominent slot then I think they should avoid it, after this jump in venues to play in a fairly low slot would in the perception of many make them look like a small band (which if BOA is moving towards the DL demographic is a big problem).

I agree next year is looking pretty thin on the ground for headliners, but at the same time that kind of backs up my point, if you don't push up the bands floating around the headline spot then you will run into this problem over and over since promoters didn't take the chance to create more headliners. Personally I would take smaller headliners if they stack the undercard well.

Warlock
Leather Rebel

Postby Warlock » Mon Oct 10, 2016 12:07 am

I don't think having Amon Amarth or Sabaton as headliner would look very impressive seeing as how they've both had lower slots recently, and we've had some big headliners like Rob Zombie and Slayer. Maybe one of them stacked with two others like has been said.
What is the pool of potential headliners? Can see them starting to have repeats like they did with Twisted Sister. For the bigger bands maybe Machine Head? Lamb of God? Alice Cooper? Megadeth?
I think Whitesnake would make a good Sunday headliner, but not sure they would be considered, they seem to go more for heavier more modern bands, but nice to have some older classics too.

Gandalf the Red
Denim Demon

Postby Gandalf the Red » Mon Oct 10, 2016 1:34 am

So bands don't grow in two or three years....

I had tickets for Metallica in 1984 and the tour was cancelled due to lack of ticket sales, apart from one date in The Marquee. I even had the Kwid Off voucher out of Kerrang! if anyone remembers those. :P

Two years later they were selling out Hammersmith Odeon and similar venues. Two years are a long time in music. Whole genres come and go in that space of time.

Lamb Of God? Machine Head? Sabaton are playing the same venues they do. If they can headline then I'm sure that Sabaton can.

Not that I particularly want Sabaton. There are plenty of other Power or Traditional Metal bands that I would prefer instead.
“He likes having the ball, playing football, passes. It’s like an orchestra. But it’s a silent song. But I like heavy metal more. I always want it loud.” - Jürgen Klopp

houston4044
Denim Demon

Postby houston4044 » Mon Oct 10, 2016 5:05 am

Warlock wrote:I don't think having Amon Amarth or Sabaton as headliner would look very impressive seeing as how they've both had lower slots recently, and we've had some big headliners like Rob Zombie and Slayer. Maybe one of them stacked with two others like has been said.
What is the pool of potential headliners? Can see them starting to have repeats like they did with Twisted Sister. For the bigger bands maybe Machine Head? Lamb of God? Alice Cooper? Megadeth?
I think Whitesnake would make a good Sunday headliner, but not sure they would be considered, they seem to go more for heavier more modern bands, but nice to have some older classics too.

The flip side to that is simple, would you rather see a young band in their prime headline their first UK festival and have a "I was there" moment; or would you rather see Coverdale wheeze his way through some classic songs? :P

If it was a toss up between a recent repeat headliner (barring final ever shows or my favourite bands playing again) or a new headliner then I would err on the side of a new bump up.

Tet
Denim Demon

Postby Tet » Mon Oct 10, 2016 11:16 am

Skippy wrote:Why are people so sure bands like Amon Amarth or Sabaton are headlining? Surely they, along with Volbeat, would only get the sub-headlining slot like they usually have...

If you look at the size of bands that headline Bloodstock, they're typically capable of playing 5000 capacity venues in London. Sabaton are playing Brixton Academy in a few months, which puts them firmly in that camp. Amon Amarth are not far off either. I'd say neither band are a clear cut headliner, but you'd be hard pushed to claim that booking them in that slot would be a poor choice.

Volbeat would also appear to be about the right size, but I'm unconvinced they'd be a good choice for Bloodstock.
CH3NO2 -- It's the only way to be sure
You laugh at me because I'm different. I pity you, you're all the same...

Gandalf the Red
Denim Demon

Postby Gandalf the Red » Mon Oct 10, 2016 11:50 am

No thanks!

They don't even have the attraction of Hank Sherman anymore.

Jay1993
Knight of the Eemerald Svord

Postby Jay1993 » Mon Oct 10, 2016 1:29 pm

Just read that System of a Down have announced a European tour for summer 2017. Would be a massive draw for Bloodstock but I suspect download will snap them up!

metalicbear
Consort of the Beast

Postby metalicbear » Mon Oct 10, 2016 4:02 pm

If we're to say that Emperor and Amon Amarth are 2 of our headliners next year, it's already looking like the weakest BOA to date in my opinion. However, if both these bands are special guests then it could turn in to a very strong year.

metalicbear
Consort of the Beast

Postby metalicbear » Mon Oct 10, 2016 4:18 pm

The following bands have been announced for Leyendas del Rock next year, think we should get quite a few of these -

Arch Enemy
Blind Guardian
Epica
Magnum
Aborted
Alestorm
Arkona
Amaranthe
And Then She Came
Bloodbath
Eclipse
Elvenking
Firewind
Omnium Gatherum
Primal Fear
Serious Black
Tako
Triptykon
Vreid

Czech's Mate
Denim Demon

Postby Czech's Mate » Mon Oct 10, 2016 7:12 pm

I would be happy with most of those.
Television is the opium of the people

kanet666 wrote: I can deal with the odd Slipknot track now and then. Pantera on the other hand are dreadful and I'd rather stab myself in the eye with a rusty fork than put up with them.

houston4044
Denim Demon

Postby houston4044 » Tue Oct 11, 2016 3:53 pm

Jay1993 wrote:Just read that System of a Down have announced a European tour for summer 2017. Would be a massive draw for Bloodstock but I suspect download will snap them up!

They've put up the dates on FB and DL is on one of the dates.

metalicbear wrote:If we're to say that Emperor and Amon Amarth are 2 of our headliners next year, it's already looking like the weakest BOA to date in my opinion. However, if both these bands are special guests then it could turn in to a very strong year.

Book a bigger and better undercard to compensate then, headliners aren't be all and end all

CharlesDexterWard
Leather Rebel

Postby CharlesDexterWard » Tue Oct 11, 2016 4:40 pm

Agree re a strong undercard. The headliners weren't great in 2015 but the undercard was strong so made up for it.
You shall fetch me your universe's ultimate cup of coffee... black.
You have 5 Earth minutes...Make it perfect!