What made you Lol Today?

Put the world to rights here (off-topic discussion)
Gandalf the Red
Hell Bent for Leather

Re: What made you Lol Today?

Postby Gandalf the Red » Wed Nov 30, 2016 9:16 pm

But there is already a few million notes in circulation and I doubt they'll be withdrawn.

So they are going to sit there checking serial numbers to see if a note may or may not have been near a tiny bit of animal produce? What if they have touched another note whilst crammed in my pigskin wallet?

As I said, some people have far too much time on their hands.
“He likes having the ball, playing football, passes. It’s like an orchestra. But it’s a silent song. But I like heavy metal more. I always want it loud.” - Jürgen Klopp

houston4044
Hell Bent for Leather

Postby houston4044 » Wed Nov 30, 2016 10:05 pm

New fiver: Bank of England looking to make note meat-free - BBC News
The maker of the new fiver says it is working on "potential solutions" to the issue of animal fat.

1. slap some sense into them
2. tell them there are bigger problems in the world
3. perhaps remind them money is not something you should try to eat
4. remind them that £5 notes are not the only currency available, ask for coins or an old style fiver
5. use a credit/debit card instead

Think I need to apply for a job at the BoE

Jim
Denim Demon

Postby Jim » Fri Dec 02, 2016 5:03 pm

Is the polymer that the new fivers made from not oil based? As in, petrochemical oil? Because once upon a time, that oil was animals too. Albeit zooplankton, but still - sea creatures.
Who the hell reads anything in sigs these days, unless it's an animated gif?

Tet
Denim Demon

Postby Tet » Sat Dec 03, 2016 5:13 pm

WorMzy wrote:In the meantime: http://www.bbc.com/news/business-38164921

Result. :)

Result? Seriously? Wow. I'm almost ashamed of the Bank Of England for caving in over this. They should have stood their ground and stuck with what they had.
CH3NO2 -- It's the only way to be sure
You laugh at me because I'm different. I pity you, you're all the same...

Jobdone
Denim Demon

Postby Jobdone » Sat Dec 03, 2016 10:04 pm

Why does it matter tho?

Like if they stop using tallow, and it might make some other people happier, with no change in my quality of life.

Sounds like a win win.

NeglectedField
Denim Demon

Postby NeglectedField » Sat Dec 03, 2016 10:31 pm

That veggie restaurant that was turning people away for trying to use the fiver were being fucking tossers though, if you ask me. Can imagine them turning away a homeless bloke who'd been given one by a kind stranger.

Smerphy
Slayer of Wimps/Posers

Postby Smerphy » Sat Dec 03, 2016 11:50 pm

Jobdone wrote:Why does it matter tho?

Like if they stop using tallow, and it might make some other people happier, with no change in my quality of life.

Sounds like a win win.

Yeah I didn't get the criticisms of vegetarians who didn't like it, the Scottish notes aren't being made with animal fat so it's not like the English ones had to be.
Gandalf the Red wrote:
Fjar wrote:Guy on the far-right has just remembered he left the oven on.

That comment can be read very diffferently than what was meant. :lol:

WorMzy
Denim Demon

Postby WorMzy » Sun Dec 04, 2016 12:35 am

Unfortunately, they do: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-38169194 :(

But they're also looking to fix the problem.
"I don't always go to clubs... but when I do, I enter through the ladies room"
~ Adam Jenson

Nantha
Denim Demon

Postby Nantha » Sun Dec 04, 2016 1:50 pm

mmhmm, so what about all the other stuff that uses tallow in the manufacturing process, tyres, plastic bags, shampoo etc?

WorMzy
Denim Demon

Postby WorMzy » Sun Dec 04, 2016 3:16 pm

You don't use it, or at least try to avoid it. It's a bit easier to not buy shitty shampoo than it is to not receive shitty money in your change/from a cash machine.
~ Adam Jenson

Ensorcelled
Denim Demon

Postby Ensorcelled » Sun Dec 04, 2016 10:41 pm

World gone fucking mad. It's not as if steak is currency or anything. Jesus wept.

Nantha
Denim Demon

Postby Nantha » Mon Dec 05, 2016 1:57 am

WorMzy wrote:You don't use it, or at least try to avoid it. It's a bit easier to not buy shitty shampoo than it is to not receive shitty money in your change/from a cash machine.

It's not particularly easy to avoid when basically everything you buy is responsible for animal death in one way or another, and it's not 'shit shampoo' either.
Is this just a case of ''well cows are cute so..." or is there environmental reasoning behind it? if so i can think of a hundred different causes more worthy.
Also the majority of people, retailers etc, can't pick and choose what money to handle.
The world has indeed gone mad. With all the shite going on, and the horrific shit we're about to face within the next 50 or so years, the fact that this is news is absolute insanity.
Another retarded incident that puts people off being associated with vegetarian and veganism :(

Gandalf the Red
Hell Bent for Leather

Postby Gandalf the Red » Mon Dec 05, 2016 2:32 am

I originally posted it as it genuinely made me laugh that people were being so petty about something that to the vast majority of the world is not even an issue.

I reckon most of the people who signed the petition didn't even have any views on the matter until someone on Facebook told them "animals are dying to make the new £5 notes". Then they probably went to McDonalds or KFC after they had been a SJW.

I quite like vegetarians (even some vegans) but this sort of thing gives them all a bad reputation. It's an animal by product, no animal was killed just to make money, it was already dead. So not using it would be wasteful.

Far more important things happening in the real world. What about the dogs in Korea for example? Now that's a subject worth petitioning about. Even the Daily Mirror is going on about that. Not the fact they get killed and eaten, more that the whole process is cruel.
“He likes having the ball, playing football, passes. It’s like an orchestra. But it’s a silent song. But I like heavy metal more. I always want it loud.” - Jürgen Klopp

Fjar
Denim Demon

Postby Fjar » Mon Dec 05, 2016 6:03 pm

The more time people spend losing their shit over things that don't matter, the more time the government has to quietly do things that do matter, and people would lose their shit about, if only they weren't so busy losing their shit over people losing their shit over things that don't fucking matter.

</remove tin foil hat>
Luke_X wrote:Got a ruler out and I measure it about 11 inches. Which pretty good value in my mind.

WorMzy
Denim Demon

Postby WorMzy » Mon Dec 05, 2016 7:09 pm

Just because something doesn't matter to you, doesn't mean it doesn't matter. And as I said:

WorMzy wrote:Feel free to bring light to the bigger issues

If you don't give a shit if your money has animal products in it, good for you. Don't get pissed off that other people do give a shit, just leave us to it.
~ Adam Jenson