A free-for-all thread

Put the world to rights here (off-topic discussion)
houston4044
Hell Bent for Leather

Re: A free-for-all thread

Postby houston4044 » Mon Dec 19, 2016 9:29 pm

Gandalf the Red wrote:That just makes me go dizzy. I mean what's with all the writhing around on the floor? :lol:

Whatever floats your boat, but it's not something I would have any interest in.

I have no interest in either but I see more parallels between boxing and MMA than MMA and 2 drunks going at it.

edit: scratch that, the only interest I had was when one of my friends hyped up the fact that two wrestlers went into MMA and I wondered how they would do, seemingly not great from what I can find :lol:

Matty_the_Emo_Slayer
Denim Demon

Postby Matty_the_Emo_Slayer » Mon Dec 19, 2016 10:29 pm

Gandalf the Red wrote:That just makes me go dizzy. I mean what's with all the writhing around on the floor? :lol:

It's called jiu-jitsu :lol: :P

houston4044 wrote:edit: scratch that, the only interest I had was when one of my friends hyped up the fact that two wrestlers went into MMA and I wondered how they would do, seemingly not great from what I can find :lol:

CM Punk probably? Yeah his UFC debut was a disaster. Most pro wrestlers who went into MMA are considered pioneers or have very impressive fight records though. Minoru Suzuki, Masakatsu Funaki, Kazushi Sakuraba, Nobuhiko Takada, Kazuyuki Fujita, Kazuo Takahashi, Ken Shamrock, Naoyo Ogawa, Dan Severn, Brock Lesnar, Bobby Lashley...

The only other exceptions I can think of are Akebono and Yoshihiro Takayama who both ended up 0-4 in professional fights, but Akebono was a sumo which is a notoriously poor style to use in MMA, and Takayama still managed to have one of the most legendary and brutal fights ever with Don Frye.
Upcoming Gigs
Aug 25|Bangor|PiL+Undertones+XSLF+Outcasts
Sept 7|B'fast|Rose Tattoo+Girlschool
Sept 15|Dub|Cruachan+Skyclad+Waylander
Sept 27|B'fast|RBOTN+Midnight Force
Oct 10|B'fast|Enslaved+High On Fire

houston4044
Hell Bent for Leather

Postby houston4044 » Tue Dec 20, 2016 11:17 am

Matty_the_Emo_Slayer wrote:
houston4044 wrote:edit: scratch that, the only interest I had was when one of my friends hyped up the fact that two wrestlers went into MMA and I wondered how they would do, seemingly not great from what I can find :lol:

CM Punk probably? Yeah his UFC debut was a disaster. Most pro wrestlers who went into MMA are considered pioneers or have very impressive fight records though. Minoru Suzuki, Masakatsu Funaki, Kazushi Sakuraba, Nobuhiko Takada, Kazuyuki Fujita, Kazuo Takahashi, Ken Shamrock, Naoyo Ogawa, Dan Severn, Brock Lesnar, Bobby Lashley...

The only other exceptions I can think of are Akebono and Yoshihiro Takayama who both ended up 0-4 in professional fights, but Akebono was a sumo which is a notoriously poor style to use in MMA, and Takayama still managed to have one of the most legendary and brutal fights ever with Don Frye.

That's it. I have absolutely no idea who the other people you have named are though. I can see your a bit of a wrestling/MMA fan though if you actually remembered all those names and didn't google it :lol:

Is it just me or have lots of place put out their festive/new years content earlier than normal? Quite alot of media I follow have already released their best/worst of the year stuff and festive editions and have said that's it for new content for the year. Just seems earlier than normal to me.

Turbo
Denim Demon

Postby Turbo » Tue Dec 20, 2016 1:48 pm

0 planned gigs for 2017. :o

Selling my Sodom ticket, not going for one band.

houston4044
Hell Bent for Leather

Postby houston4044 » Wed Dec 21, 2016 10:50 am

Turbo wrote:0 planned gigs for 2017. :o

Unless it's really expensive or you are in need of some money I would try and go. I like going to gigs semi-reguarly

NeglectedField
Denim Demon

Postby NeglectedField » Wed Dec 21, 2016 6:49 pm

So I resorted to buying 5-HTP for the first time in ages yesterday, which since I last used them went from pill to capsule form. Had just one last night before bed and today I've just felt worse. Abdomen ain't too happy and feeling even grimmer and more lethargic.

Turbo
Denim Demon

Postby Turbo » Wed Dec 21, 2016 9:56 pm

houston4044 wrote:

Unless it's really expensive or you are in need of some money I would try and go. I like going to gigs semi-reguarly

£30 for a band I have seen 5 times is a bit pricey yeah. I am not really feeling any gigs this year. Want to make another Seven Sisters gig because I loved it and that Helloween tour whenever/wherever it is, otherwise I can see me sitting out of alot in 2017.

houston4044
Hell Bent for Leather

Postby houston4044 » Thu Dec 22, 2016 12:33 pm

Turbo wrote:
houston4044 wrote:

£30 for a band I have seen 5 times is a bit pricey yeah. I am not really feeling any gigs this year. Want to make another Seven Sisters gig because I loved it and that Helloween tour whenever/wherever it is, otherwise I can see me sitting out of alot in 2017.

From the rumors I've seen fly about I suppose you would need as much cash as possible to afford a ticket to that :lol:

Turbo
Denim Demon

Postby Turbo » Thu Dec 22, 2016 6:05 pm

Yeah if its completely unreasonable and obviously living in the Birmingham area will be on top of travel, hotel costs fuck that as well. Doubt that tour will come to within 80 miles of here.

Noodle
I am the Law!

Postby Noodle » Sun Dec 25, 2016 9:24 pm

It's that time where we get to involve ourselves in the usual pissing contest - Who got the most presents and who got the best?

I'm not submitting my list until I've been back home to open mine from the family ;)
If it sounds good, listen to it
MetalBeast wrote: I got told off by the landlady for banging mine on the ceiling.
tranmerefan wrote:If there's one thing you can be guaranteed of, is that this forum complained about it. And we did.

Gandalf the Red
Hell Bent for Leather

Postby Gandalf the Red » Sun Dec 25, 2016 11:57 pm

Loads of George Michael jokes already.
“He likes having the ball, playing football, passes. It’s like an orchestra. But it’s a silent song. But I like heavy metal more. I always want it loud.” - Jürgen Klopp

NeglectedField
Denim Demon

Postby NeglectedField » Mon Dec 26, 2016 4:31 pm

Quieter here than I thought! Seems most of you have the right idea. I had a very generous one, only a coupla prezzies (incl. booze) but a bit of moolah from my grandmother which is nice of her. Mum's dinner was on point.

thehairyone
Denim Demon

Postby thehairyone » Tue Dec 27, 2016 10:11 pm

Not a huge number of presents - mostly money which is what I asked for. Did get myself a Surface Pro 4 in the sales as a present for myself, and a friend took me out and gave me a huge hand updating the wardrobe.

NeglectedField
Denim Demon

Postby NeglectedField » Wed Dec 28, 2016 9:55 pm

I couldn't get away with asking for money. Vouchers, perhaps.

Gandalf the Red
Hell Bent for Leather

Postby Gandalf the Red » Wed Dec 28, 2016 10:45 pm

I always ask for beer tokens. The ones with the Queen's head on them.
“He likes having the ball, playing football, passes. It’s like an orchestra. But it’s a silent song. But I like heavy metal more. I always want it loud.” - Jürgen Klopp