The UK political thread (formerly independence thread)

Put the world to rights here (off-topic discussion)

How will you vote in the 2019 UK General Election?

Conservative
6%
Labour
39%
Liberal Democrat
28%
SNP
No votes
Brexit
6%
Green
11%
Plaid Cymru
No votes
Other
No votes
Won't Vote
11%

Total votes: 18

Czech's Mate
Denim Demon

Re: The UK political thread (formerly independence thread)

Postby Czech's Mate » Wed Apr 26, 2017 5:27 pm

Gandalf the Red wrote:Coalition?

The Tories will win with a landside. Even with the usual error factor in the polls then they are looking at 400 odd seats, Labour with 150 and the SNP with 50. Lib Dems won't even get 10. The Conservatives are currently at 1/18 with most bookies and they hardly ever get it wrong.

Then the problem is Corbyn is like a limpet and will cling on for the next decade until he pops his clogs. Labour's finished as a political force. They've already lost Scotland which used to guarantee them 50 odd seats.

Much as it pains me to say so, I am broadly in agreement with you with two minor exceptions....I think the Liberals will do significantly better than you suggest as they more represent the views of the remain than any of the others and also will pick up some votes from the historic Labour voters who don't like Corbyn but can't bring themselves to vote Tory.

Secondly I think Corbyn will go after the election, but he may be replaced by a similar far left politician.

Personally whilst I have always sat politically on the left, I find Corbyn the most ineffectual and useless "leader" that a major political party has had in a very long time. Internationally he has no credibility and domestically pretty much the same.

Given that I think that Brexit is an economic disaster in waiting, I'll end up voting for the party that gives the best possible chance of at least remaining in the single Market....I.e. I'll vote tactically in the vain hope that it stops the Tories implementing a hard Brexit
Television is the opium of the people

kanet666 wrote: I can deal with the odd Slipknot track now and then. Pantera on the other hand are dreadful and I'd rather stab myself in the eye with a rusty fork than put up with them.

houston4044
Hell Bent for Leather

Postby houston4044 » Wed Apr 26, 2017 9:14 pm

Czech's Mate wrote:
Given that I think that Brexit is an economic disaster in waiting, I'll end up voting for the party that gives the best possible chance of at least remaining in the single Market....I.e. I'll vote tactically in the vain hope that it stops the Tories implementing a hard Brexit

I don't think a soft or mid-way Brexit will be too sad but I have a problem with people going all in with the Tories because you know they will throw everything under the bus to make a hard Brexit work, so that's goodbye to a lot of workers rights, the NHS etc. Labour seem to sometimes point to the kind of Brexit I'd like but given the fact they seem so disorganized it's essentially going to be a choice between Tory "full on fuck the plebs Brexit" or Lib Dem's "we're basically still in the EU Brexit"

Honestly hope that's how they word it in their manifesto's as well :lol:

Metalchemyst
Denim Demon

Postby Metalchemyst » Sun Apr 30, 2017 12:03 am

Tet wrote:All three major parties have positions with which I fundamentally disagree and find unpalatable. I'll probably vote LibDem as they're the best of a bad bunch. Not that it matters. Due to our shitty electoral system, my vote won't count. Again.
Pretty much this. The most apathetic I've ever felt about an election. Same old game of disproportional misrepresentation.
DISTORTION JUNKIES SHALL INHERIT THE EARTH

ScrumpiesVeteran
Leather Rebel

Postby ScrumpiesVeteran » Sun Apr 30, 2017 5:33 pm

"I will eradicate education poverty by raising corporation tax ....!" by my reckoning that is at least 12 things that will be completely paid for, according to "Jeremy" (effects sycophantic voice) by raising this tax. With Brexit to contend with, what business in their right mind would look to a UK start up with the prospect of a labour Gov under Corbyn.

My local MP; Hillary Benn; who is a decent bloke, has not dared raise his head above the parapet so far. Before the snap election he was facing de-selection due to his publically opposing Corbyn on Trident; even though Corbyn's view is not supported by the Labour Party !?? So much for freedom of speech.

Gandalf the Red
Hell Bent for Leather

Postby Gandalf the Red » Tue May 02, 2017 12:24 pm

According to Diane Abbott 10,000 police officers are going to cost £300,000? :lol:

Where's the money coming from for the proper figure which would add a few noughts to that?

It's the money they have already spent about ten times already....
“He likes having the ball, playing football, passes. It’s like an orchestra. But it’s a silent song. But I like heavy metal more. I always want it loud.” - Jürgen Klopp

Tet
Denim Demon

Postby Tet » Tue May 02, 2017 2:36 pm

Gandalf the Red wrote:According to Diane Abbott 10,000 police officers are going to cost £300,000? :lol:

It's worse than that. According to Diane Abbott, she is and was in full possession of the numbers, it's just us, the stupid listeners, that thought otherwise. At what point is she going to realise that just apologising would have been a better option than trying to insist that nothing was wrong? For a bit more gory detail:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/election-2017-39775693
CH3NO2 -- It's the only way to be sure
You laugh at me because I'm different. I pity you, you're all the same...

Gandalf the Red
Hell Bent for Leather

Postby Gandalf the Red » Tue May 02, 2017 2:52 pm

I'm just glad she's in the Shadow Cabinet as it means that This Week is watchable. :lol:
“He likes having the ball, playing football, passes. It’s like an orchestra. But it’s a silent song. But I like heavy metal more. I always want it loud.” - Jürgen Klopp

houston4044
Hell Bent for Leather

Postby houston4044 » Wed May 03, 2017 3:36 pm

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-39787353

I feel oddly conflicted because she's kind of pointing out the obvious but at the same time it feels like tin foil hat time :lol:

Gandalf the Red wrote:According to Diane Abbott 10,000 police officers are going to cost £300,000? :lol:

Where's the money coming from for the proper figure which would add a few noughts to that?

It's the money they have already spent about ten times already....

Either that or it's a genius way of slipping in the policy of massively reducing police pay without people realizing :eyes:

Gandalf the Red
Hell Bent for Leather

Postby Gandalf the Red » Wed May 03, 2017 4:29 pm

Apparently there's an election tomorrow....

Tet
Denim Demon

Postby Tet » Wed May 03, 2017 5:21 pm

CH3NO2 -- It's the only way to be sure
You laugh at me because I'm different. I pity you, you're all the same...

Czech's Mate
Denim Demon

Postby Czech's Mate » Wed May 03, 2017 11:19 pm

Tet wrote:Image

After a really hard day, this brought a serious smile to my face
Television is the opium of the people

kanet666 wrote: I can deal with the odd Slipknot track now and then. Pantera on the other hand are dreadful and I'd rather stab myself in the eye with a rusty fork than put up with them.

Gandalf the Red
Hell Bent for Leather

Postby Gandalf the Red » Wed May 03, 2017 11:46 pm

Is it sad that I actually worked out the answer? :lol:

Nearly as complicated as the Mayoral voting process. Put an X in column one and an X in column two. Blah, blah, blah.

There's only one vacancy, why make it complicated?

Nantha
Denim Demon

Postby Nantha » Fri May 05, 2017 2:45 pm

is it fair to say we can base the outcome of the general election somewhat on the results of the local?

Metalchemyst
Denim Demon

Postby Metalchemyst » Fri May 05, 2017 5:27 pm

What's the turnout going to be for this upcoming General Election? Pretty low I reckon, given the lack of real choice.
DISTORTION JUNKIES SHALL INHERIT THE EARTH

Noodle
I am the Law!

Postby Noodle » Fri May 05, 2017 5:48 pm

In this case, Hamdir, probably.

In case you're wondering, Cotgrave comfortably returned its Tory councillor with a 38% voter turnout. Nottinghamshire County Council had a boundary change for this election with 66 seats up for grabs. No overall control with Tories getting 31 (+10) seats, Labour getting 23 (-9), Ashfield Independents getting 5 (+1), Mansfield independents with 4 (+2), Selston Area Independents getting 1 (no change), Lib Dems 1 (-4), "Other" getting the final seat (-2). Turnout: 36%.

UKIP suffered the heaviest losses, down by 13.8%. Greens remain irrelevant here.
If it sounds good, listen to it
MetalBeast wrote: I got told off by the landlady for banging mine on the ceiling.
tranmerefan wrote:If there's one thing you can be guaranteed of, is that this forum complained about it. And we did.