The (Un) Official Football thread

Put the world to rights here (off-topic discussion)
houston4044
Hell Bent for Leather

Re: The (Un) Official Football thread

Postby houston4044 » Fri May 26, 2017 9:56 am

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-40047816 this made me chuckle a little :lol:

So in 5 days 3 managers have left 2 Prem teams (and 1 ex-prem team), seems to be reoccurring themes that either the boards aren't offering the managers enough resources or they want more than is probable from the manager. Wonder if Wenger is next :eyes:

Matty_the_Emo_Slayer
Denim Demon

Postby Matty_the_Emo_Slayer » Fri May 26, 2017 2:16 pm

Gandalf the Red wrote:Do you actually remember the ECWC? :P

It was on VHS a few years later but seeing Mark Hughes' goals in the 91 final is one of my first footballing memories. Great times.

And you're contradicting yourself there- it wasn't worth pissing in because of the quality of the opposition, but the times you lost it was because of top teams? En route to the '66 final you had to beat Juventus and Celtic and they are hardly minnows, and neither were Standard Liege at that time (Honved were 10 years past it at that stage though.) Winning it that year would've been pretty prestigious.

I know all about the mickey mouse clubs in it too though. Ards FC down the road from me held Roma to a 0-0 draw at home in 1969. The Italians must have been too disgusted at the state of the ground to play well :lol:

I don't get your attitude on the Intercontinental Cup either. It was another trophy to win, and it was to decide the best club in the world. If you're in it you've got to at least try to win it surely?
Upcoming Gigs
Aug 25|Bangor|PiL+Undertones+XSLF+Outcasts
Sept 7|B'fast|Rose Tattoo+Girlschool
Sept 15|Dub|Cruachan+Skyclad+Waylander
Sept 27|B'fast|RBOTN+Midnight Force
Oct 10|B'fast|Enslaved+High On Fire

houston4044
Hell Bent for Leather

Postby houston4044 » Fri May 26, 2017 3:49 pm

Matty_the_Emo_Slayer wrote:
I don't get your attitude on the Intercontinental Cup either. It was another trophy to win, and it was to decide the best club in the world. If you're in it you've got to at least try to win it surely?

You could say the same about the FA and Carling cup but few big teams ever put out their best until near the end. It's all about perception, priority and prize money. I've found very few football fans who actually care about the cup (i know i can't generalise here) but if fans don't hold it in high regard then why would the teams? You've kind of alluded to it with the Europa league, it's not a big prize in of itself but because you can win a spot in the CL.

Apart from bragging rights and a trophy you don't win anything, whereas other competitions such as the Premiership etc get you European football, hell even the FA cup gets you Europa football.

As for prize money, you get less than the League Cup finalists (from wikipedia admittedly) so it's not really worth chasing it when teams could make more money prioritising other competitions for more money.

Little incentive for big teams to try and win it unless they find their B and C teams have taken them close to the finals.

houston4044
Hell Bent for Leather

Postby houston4044 » Sat May 27, 2017 10:54 pm

Fairly boring game for most of it but feel Mertesacker was robbed of MOTM, he played a blinder

Matty_the_Emo_Slayer
Denim Demon

Postby Matty_the_Emo_Slayer » Sun May 28, 2017 8:10 am

I'd agree with that. He took Hazard out of the game and neutralizing Hazard's creativity was why Chelsea were so poor.
Upcoming Gigs
Aug 25|Bangor|PiL+Undertones+XSLF+Outcasts
Sept 7|B'fast|Rose Tattoo+Girlschool
Sept 15|Dub|Cruachan+Skyclad+Waylander
Sept 27|B'fast|RBOTN+Midnight Force
Oct 10|B'fast|Enslaved+High On Fire

houston4044
Hell Bent for Leather

Postby houston4044 » Tue May 30, 2017 10:46 am

Happy to see two new teams in the Prem next season, It'll be interesting to see how Huddersfield do as half their team this season are loanees. Hope they avoid the pitfalls of ending up with the usual Prem mercenaries that just swap lower league teams every other season.

houston4044
Hell Bent for Leather

Postby houston4044 » Thu Jun 01, 2017 11:26 am

Wenger signs new two year contract.

I'm happy with that, it's good to see a side stick by a manager and not descend into the merry go round farce others have fallen into (see Chelsea, Watford Man Utd etc)

houston4044
Hell Bent for Leather

Postby houston4044 » Mon Jun 12, 2017 2:51 pm

Surprised no one's jumped on the "we technically won a world cup!" bandwagon. Closest we're going to get to the big one for quite a while :lol:

houston4044
Hell Bent for Leather

Postby houston4044 » Thu Jul 06, 2017 9:12 pm

so, £75mil for Lukaku...

Gandalf the Red
Hell Bent for Leather

Postby Gandalf the Red » Thu Jul 06, 2017 10:30 pm

I don't know the ins and outs of that deal, but it almost certainly involves Rooney going the other way.

I know quite a few Blues that aren't happy. One I was talking to the other day wanted Lukaku to go to Chelsea for the full £100 Million if they could get it and for Everton to buy someone else with that money.
“He likes having the ball, playing football, passes. It’s like an orchestra. But it’s a silent song. But I like heavy metal more. I always want it loud.” - Jürgen Klopp

Skippy
Paster of Muppets

Postby Skippy » Thu Jul 06, 2017 10:33 pm

houston4044 wrote:so, £75mil for Lukaku...

Surprisingly cheap in this stupidly inflated market. I think he'll be quite a good player for them too.
BANDS I LIKE FOR BLOODSTOCK!!!

Jobdone
Denim Demon

Postby Jobdone » Fri Jul 07, 2017 6:13 am

Ai, over twenty goals a season for a couple of seasons, experienced in premier league, from a team that didn't need to sell him. Surprised it wasn't higher.

houston4044
Hell Bent for Leather

Postby houston4044 » Sat Jul 08, 2017 11:42 am

Jobdone wrote:Ai, over twenty goals a season for a couple of seasons, experienced in premier league, from a team that didn't need to sell him. Surprised it wasn't higher.

From the newer details leaked apparently that's the guaranteed payment, with fee's and other stuff chucked in it could rise closer to the 100 mil mark :o

houston4044
Hell Bent for Leather

Postby houston4044 » Sun Jul 09, 2017 7:21 pm

So Mersyside going blue then?

Gandalf the Red
Hell Bent for Leather

Postby Gandalf the Red » Sun Jul 09, 2017 8:10 pm

houston4044 wrote:So Mersyside going blue then?

Lol wut? :lol:
“He likes having the ball, playing football, passes. It’s like an orchestra. But it’s a silent song. But I like heavy metal more. I always want it loud.” - Jürgen Klopp