Next announcement

August 9-12, Catton Park, Walton on Trent, Derbyshire
houston4044
Denim Demon

Re: Next announcement

Postby houston4044 » Sun Jan 28, 2018 11:01 pm

ScrumpiesVeteran wrote:We need Holy Moses - a tick in both boxes there!

Add in Mortillery, got to make sure we tick those boxes :lol:

After seeing them again, it amazes me neither DL or BOA have booked Power Trip this year or last, they'd be a big coup and probably pretty cheap to boot. and they're a thrash band so I'd be doubly happy

ScrumpiesVeteran
Leather Rebel

Postby ScrumpiesVeteran » Sun Jan 28, 2018 11:08 pm

German thrash outfit Cripper also have an excellent female vocalist. TICK TICK !!

houston4044
Denim Demon

Postby houston4044 » Mon Jan 29, 2018 12:22 am

ScrumpiesVeteran wrote:German thrash outfit Cripper also have an excellent female vocalist. TICK TICK !!

Nervosa are touring, add another one to the list

Jay1993
Knight of the Eemerald Svord

Postby Jay1993 » Mon Jan 29, 2018 1:50 am

Just noticed Trivium have announced a few UK dates with Code Orange, Power Trip and Venom Prison in April. I wonder if Trivium will be back in a special guest slot? Can also see Code Orange getting an early slot and would like to see Power Trip there!

CharlesDexterWard
Leather Rebel

Postby CharlesDexterWard » Mon Jan 29, 2018 6:10 am

Power Trip would make me very happy and Trivium would make me very sad.
You shall fetch me your universe's ultimate cup of coffee... black.
You have 5 Earth minutes...Make it perfect!

JD_B3E5
Warrior of Metal

Postby JD_B3E5 » Mon Jan 29, 2018 12:33 pm

CharlesDexterWard wrote:Power Trip would make me very happy and Trivium would make me very sad.

I'd be over the moon with both bands if they were at BOA. I saw Power Trip on the Persistence tour last night and they're definitely something special.

Jay1993
Knight of the Eemerald Svord

Postby Jay1993 » Mon Jan 29, 2018 12:41 pm

I wouldn't complain about Trivium if they were announced. I like their early stuff (not familiar with their newer stuff) and have only seen them once way back in 2007 or 2008 so would watch them.

Ghost
Hell Bent for Leather

Postby Ghost » Mon Jan 29, 2018 1:52 pm

I'd love power trip. Wouldn't mind code orange.
I see the bad moon arising.

Soze
Denim Demon

Postby Soze » Mon Jan 29, 2018 2:17 pm

Gandalf the Red wrote:I reckon that Thrash has been very poorly represented for the last few years. Most of the bands that are getting called Thrash aren't even Thrash. It seems that if they are "a bit noisy" then they must be Thrash. :rolleyes:

Kreator, Megadeth, Havok, Xentrix, Testament and Municipal Waste (although the latter sometimes get called crossover or whatever, they still sound thrash to me!). You could also make a reasonable argument for Annihilator and Possessed (who were always called thrash back in the day).

houston4044
Denim Demon

Postby houston4044 » Mon Jan 29, 2018 10:35 pm

JD_B3E5 wrote: I saw Power Trip on the Persistence tour last night and they're definitely something special.

They stole the show last night :D Think they would work well as one of the first bands on the main stage or a decent mid afternoon Sophie stage slot.

Soze wrote:
Kreator, Megadeth, Havok, Xentrix, Testament and Municipal Waste (although the latter sometimes get called crossover or whatever, they still sound thrash to me!). You could also make a reasonable argument for Annihilator and Possessed (who were always called thrash back in the day).

I'd class them all as thrash myself, they may have dropped in and out of the genre in the past but most of the material they're known for is certainly thrash.

They don't have to be big* bands either, I'd be happy with the likes of Power Trip, Skeletonwitch, Toxic Holocaust, Harlott et al. Bands who would be early on main or mid-day Sophie bands.

Saying this, now we know how the power metal fans must have felt all these years, even I've said in the past BOA should of thrown them a bone or two while we were getting plenty of thrash.

*=by thrash's standards

Gandalf the Red
Denim Demon

Postby Gandalf the Red » Mon Jan 29, 2018 11:45 pm

Soze wrote:
Gandalf the Red wrote:I reckon that Thrash has been very poorly represented for the last few years. Most of the bands that are getting called Thrash aren't even Thrash. It seems that if they are "a bit noisy" then they must be Thrash. :rolleyes:

I did say "poorly" represented....

Half a dozen bands on a festival that has over a hundred known bands on!

Yet loads of Metalcore, Stoner, Groove, Hardcore, Punk, etc.

And it's always "full" of Thrash Metal bands!!!
“He likes having the ball, playing football, passes. It’s like an orchestra. But it’s a silent song. But I like heavy metal more. I always want it loud.” - Jürgen Klopp

Skippy
Hell Bent for Leather

Postby Skippy » Tue Jan 30, 2018 12:10 am

Gandalf the Red wrote:
Soze wrote:

I did say "poorly" represented....

Half a dozen bands on a festival that has over a hundred known bands on!

Yet loads of Metalcore, Stoner, Groove, Hardcore, Punk, etc.

And it's always "full" of Thrash Metal bands!!!

You have got to be absolutely joking. It is a festival with over a hundred bands on, but he's only named the known bands on the main stages. Looking at the bottom there are just as many more. Jesus you can make that argument for any genre - there's only a handful of "known" metal bands in general at the festival!

Trash has been completely over-represented for years at Bloodstock. Compared to the other genres you've mentioned, only stoner comes close to the amount Bloodstock book, and those are only the smaller bands that fill the smaller stages - well known stoner isn't booked too much any year. The only genre that beats it is death metal, which is far too overbooked. For all the hardcore crap that gets booked every year, they don't come close to the number of thrash bands. And for me, thrash is almost as boring.
BANDS I LIKE FOR BLOODSTOCK!!!

Gandalf the Red
Denim Demon

Postby Gandalf the Red » Tue Jan 30, 2018 12:48 am

Think of it this way.

I had seen most of last years line up before the festival at other events. So yes they are known bands seeing as I've not gone to Outer Mongolia to see them. Nor have to listen to some obscure radio channel to hear them.

This year there is only three mainstage bands that I've not seen previously. Combichrist (who I'm very aware of), Mr Big (can't stand) and Jasta (who are just Hatebreed). Plus three others that I don't really know, but are on the other stage, but I've heard of.

I seriously reckon that anyone that doesn't know the bands on the line up needs to get out more. Or go on the internet....
“He likes having the ball, playing football, passes. It’s like an orchestra. But it’s a silent song. But I like heavy metal more. I always want it loud.” - Jürgen Klopp

Skippy
Hell Bent for Leather

Postby Skippy » Tue Jan 30, 2018 3:32 am

I don't care how known bands are. Last year I knew a few. I didn't know all of the bottom stage because occasionally I DO actually get out. The point is the top few stages are filled up with far more thrash bands than any other genre (barring death, as I said). You are saying half a dozen out of hundreds, but that isn't the argument - there were seven mainstage bands last year that are deemed to be thrash. Nearly a full day. That includes each of the top three slots. There being a less this year is absolutely warranted.
BANDS I LIKE FOR BLOODSTOCK!!!

houston4044
Denim Demon

Postby houston4044 » Tue Jan 30, 2018 11:27 am

Skippy wrote:There being a less this year is absolutely warranted.