Next announcement

August 9-12, Catton Park, Walton on Trent, Derbyshire
kurrupo
Consort of the Beast

Re: Next announcement

Postby kurrupo » Tue Mar 13, 2018 9:34 pm

houston4044 wrote:They really need to utilize those slots better, sometimes they can hit the nail on the head with these slots (Savage Messiah, Ghost Bath, Aborted, Death Angel, hell even Evil Scarecrow) and use them to elevate a band bubbling under the surface but as you point out, sometimes it just smacks of whatever's cheapest or easiest. If they do it right it could help tilt the quality of the mainstage in the right direction this year, don't hold out much hope though.

That's what I'm hoping. Would be nice to get some decent sized bands that people have actually heard of in those slots. Bands like Lost Society and Orange Goblin would probably be the right size for those slots and are actually bands that people have mentioned previously. We can only hope!

Also, there's still the Thursday night headliner to come which could be fairly decent sized band

Jay1993
Knight of the Eemerald Svord

Postby Jay1993 » Wed Mar 14, 2018 1:10 am

houston4044 wrote:
i0th wrote:
houston4044 wrote: Is this the first time a band had fallen a slot but now risen again?

Thought Arch Enemy had but they were SG each time they played.

Assuming we're ignoring Evil Scarecrow? Started as a Dio opener (2008), rose up the Sophie stage then back to opening main then going up main?

Floor's kind of done it. 3rd down with After Forever (but at the indoor fest rather than BOA, then 7th down with ReVamp and now headlining with Nightwish.

I wasn't ignoring ES, I didn't realize they had done the same. So this would be the first "high profile" one then? Thing is, nothing against CC but it's got to be for budgetary or availability reasons surely? The last album/current tour hasn't done better than usual right?

bloodfiend wrote:So with 7 bands each day on the main stage now, which are all "name" bands, you can almost guarantee the last 2 bands for each day are going to the first 2 bands that play and are going to be filler nobodies like Broken Teeth, Forever Still, Cambion, Hark, Beholder, Stormbringer etc

They really need to utilize those slots better, sometimes they can hit the nail on the head with these slots (Savage Messiah, Ghost Bath, Aborted, Death Angel, hell even Evil Scarecrow) and use them to elevate a band bubbling under the surface but as you point out, sometimes it just smacks of whatever's cheapest or easiest. If they do it right it could help tilt the quality of the mainstage in the right direction this year, don't hold out much hope though.

Not sure about CC's album sales but I know some of their dates on this tour have sold out. In Norwich tonight I heard the guy on the door saying there were only 20 tickets left to someone who was buying one so it seems to be selling well. Although I didn't attend Bloodstock in 2015, I heard they had a really good crowd so I can see why they bumped them up to special guest as a safe decision.

Haldamir319
Hell Bent for Leather

Postby Haldamir319 » Wed Mar 14, 2018 8:44 am

Personally, I'd quite like the opening main stage spot being given to bands that have impressed on the Sophie stage in recent years.

Similarly, I like the idea of the first two or three slots on the Thursday night going to bands that have impressed on the New Blood / Jager stages in previous years, with a couple of decent sized imports above them.

Haldamir319
Hell Bent for Leather

Postby Haldamir319 » Wed Mar 14, 2018 8:49 am

Also, as the band have now announced the tour, I can say that it was Skiltron and Lux Perpetua that I was talking about previously.

CharlesDexterWard
Leather Rebel

Postby CharlesDexterWard » Wed Mar 14, 2018 9:12 am

I have a declining weekend for mainstage bands this year.

Quite a few I want to see on Friday, a couple on Saturday and only one (ATG) on Sunday.

Once the announcements are complete, I will be spending time on the clashfinder to see who I can watch on other stages.
You shall fetch me your universe's ultimate cup of coffee... black.
You have 5 Earth minutes...Make it perfect!

Haldamir319
Hell Bent for Leather

Postby Haldamir319 » Wed Mar 14, 2018 12:08 pm

i0th wrote:
Haldamir319 wrote:Also, as the band have now announced the tour, I can say that it was Skiltron and Lux Perpetua that I was talking about previously.

I like Skilton, would be a good addition, never heard of Lux Perpetua :lol:

Tbf , I did say I'd never heard of the power metal band :)

jwh20
Slayer of Wimps/Posers

Postby jwh20 » Thu Mar 15, 2018 11:52 am

So at this point I wouldn't expect anymore name bands to be announced.

On Friday I want to see Priest, Emperor and Ingested. Emperor were ropey at NDF last weekend, so might be better again on a bigger stage.

Saturday only Alestorm, Venom Inc and Cannibal Corpse. Both played near me recently so not really too exciting.

Sunday is a big bag of crap besides Nightwish and At the Gates. Only reason I'm interested is because Nightwish are doing loads of Tarja era songs, and that's the Nightwish I grew up with, not the Anette and Floor songs they always play, and I missed At the Gates last week.

So Friday and Sunday I'd be hanging around right to the end of the day, and on Saturday there's a few bands I like but nothing to get excited about. A couple of bands I would definitely give the benefit of the doubt and watch on Friday and Saturday, but Sunday is absolute turd right up until ATG, not one band I'd be remotely interested in checking out. I mistakenly thought Orphaned Land were subheadlining the Sophie on Saturday, I find them dull as dishwater from seeing them a few times and was waiting for a headliner.

Could be worse, could be a lot better. Couple of years ago it would be a no brainer, but the decline in quality over the last few years has meant most of my friends do Metal Days every year instead. Might just have to go and spend 3/4 of my time in the new blood.

Soze
Denim Demon

Postby Soze » Thu Mar 15, 2018 1:11 pm

The only bands I'm interested in on Friday are Emperor and Priest. I'd watch Bloodbath, Doro and Suicidal Tendencies but none of those are bands I'd bother to watch on their own.

Saturday only has Venom inc. and Alestorm, both bands I like a lot. I'd watch Orden Ogan but probably sat down at the back with a beer.

Sunday - just At the Gates on the main stage (pretty much everything else I'd actively go out of my way to avoid!!) and Watain and Pallbearer on the Sophie.

dclizardking
Paster of Muppets

Postby dclizardking » Fri Mar 16, 2018 12:14 am

Soze wrote:The only bands I'm interested in on Friday are Emperor and Priest. I'd watch Bloodbath, Doro and Suicidal Tendencies but none of those are bands I'd bother to watch on their own.

Saturday only has Venom inc. and Alestorm, both bands I like a lot. I'd watch Orden Ogan but probably sat down at the back with a beer.

Sunday - just At the Gates on the main stage (pretty much everything else I'd actively go out of my way to avoid!!) and Watain and Pallbearer on the Sophie.

For my tastes Sunday may be the worst day ever, not a single band I am interested in seeing on the mainstage. I like ATG on record but was bored stiff last time they played. Sad to say it but it seems like bands like Rhapsody, Hammerfall, Helloween, Primal Fear etc are a thing of the past, and the festival is heading in a different direction.

bloodofthekings
Paster of Muppets

Postby bloodofthekings » Fri Mar 16, 2018 8:30 am

dclizardking wrote:
Soze wrote:The only bands I'm interested in on Friday are Emperor and Priest. I'd watch Bloodbath, Doro and Suicidal Tendencies but none of those are bands I'd bother to watch on their own.

For my tastes Sunday may be the worst day ever, not a single band I am interested in seeing on the mainstage. I like ATG on record but was bored stiff last time they played. Sad to say it but it seems like bands like Rhapsody, Hammerfall, Helloween, Primal Fear etc are a thing of the past, and the festival is heading in a different direction.

I agree that Bloodstock could make a greater effort in booking power metal bands than they seem to, but even as a power metal fan I can't say that any of the bands you mentioned there would be suitable for a special guest slot apart from Helloween and I imagine the sticking point with them was the set length - they're doing long headline sets everywhere else in Europe and presumably Bloodstock would have told them they could only have 1hr 15mins max which Helloween will have likely turned down.

dclizardking
Paster of Muppets

Postby dclizardking » Fri Mar 16, 2018 11:51 pm

bloodofthekings wrote: I agree that Bloodstock could make a greater effort in booking power metal bands than they seem to, but even as a power metal fan I can't say that any of the bands you mentioned there would be suitable for a special guest slot apart from Helloween and I imagine the sticking point with them was the set length - they're doing long headline sets everywhere else in Europe and presumably Bloodstock would have told them they could only have 1hr 15mins max which Helloween will have likely turned down.

I wasn't speaking with reference to the special guest slot specifically, it was more of a general opinion that as the festival grows those sorts of bands seem to be less likely to be booked. I would like to hope I'm wrong and it's just not worked out for Bloodstock booking power metal bands over the last few years, but I don't think I am wrong.

houston4044
Denim Demon

Postby houston4044 » Sat Mar 17, 2018 1:08 pm

Friday
Great: 2
Good: 3
might as well see: 2

Saturday
Great: 1
Good: 2
might as well see: 2

Sunday
Great: 3
Good: 4
might as well see: 3

Apart from JP, none of the headliners particularly excite me but that's the same for most years, difference is that in other years they didn't spaff the budget on just the headliners. The drain on the undercard is massive

Jay1993

Postby Jay1993 » Sat Mar 17, 2018 4:22 pm

In terms of must see bands, on Friday I have six, Saturday five and Sunday four with a lot of other bands I'm interested in checking out over the three days as well. Not too shabby so far!

houston4044
Denim Demon

Postby houston4044 » Sun Mar 18, 2018 4:31 pm

So do people think that's all the big hitters on both stages announced then?

Jay1993

Postby Jay1993 » Sun Mar 18, 2018 7:09 pm

houston4044 wrote:So do people think that's all the big hitters on both stages announced then?

I dunno, I think there will be another biggish band on the Saturday between Alestorm and Combichrist, and possibly on the Sunday between Devildriver and Mr Big. I expect one of them will be either Exodus or Sepultura.