Camping chairs in the arena megathread

August 9-12, Catton Park, Walton on Trent, Derbyshire

What should be done about camping chairs in the arena?

Ban them
19%
Nothing. They're fine.
62%
I have a cunning plan... See my post below
19%

Total votes: 53

bloodfiend
Denim Demon

Re: Camping chairs in the arena megathread

Postby bloodfiend » Tue Sep 26, 2017 4:06 pm

What's far more annoying when it's busy down the front is people sitting on the floor in the middle of packed crowds and tripping you over when you don't see them.

When headliners are on, the front of the field is packed, and people sitting down would only see the backs of people if they are sitting down, so there's only a few people sitting down towards the back of the field.

MadManiac
Warrior of Metal

Postby MadManiac » Sat Sep 30, 2017 7:13 am

Beardy wrote:
Rammsoldat wrote:I wasn't even aware this was an issue, i mean you gotta be pretty shit-faced to be unable to walk around a chair.

You have been to Bloodstock before, haven't you? At least half the crowd are shitfaced before they even get to the site! :lol:

Is that not tradition though... :lol:

houston4044
Denim Demon

Postby houston4044 » Mon Oct 02, 2017 10:12 am

Here's a compromise, those who want to bring chairs into the arena agree to be used as hurdles by those who didn't bring camping chairs in. It'll make the walk back to the campsite a lot more fun and is a better alternative than the strongman competition

Albinokev
Lowly Peon

Postby Albinokev » Tue Oct 03, 2017 6:53 am

Hey Guys

I and a group of friends tend to sit out in the same position each year, its our focal point and we need it because one of our party has mobility issues.

However we make sure we sit at just behind the line of the soundstage, because they occasional need the disabled access. Near the Mr Whippy van to for strategic purposes too lol

I did actually notice this year how far people were going forward with chairs and particularly the size of them. And I do think this was wrong.
I think it should be restricted to being beyond a perimeter from the stage - for example use the soundstage as a referenece and set it out like a massive semi cirlce from one side to the soundstage and then onto the other side ( get your compasses out )
Just my thought, not sure how practical this would be

It is a metal festival and the front areas need to be a place for the crowd to let loose
And as the blood trickles out of your body, the last thing you see as you fade into darkness is me smiling down at you

VizardAmata
Denim Demon

Postby VizardAmata » Tue Oct 03, 2017 9:38 pm

I think going no further than the sound stage is more than reasonable.

slayerslays
Consort of the Beast

Postby slayerslays » Mon Oct 09, 2017 1:19 pm

It's a bit worrying that a fifth of responders want to ban them when some people would not be able to come without a chair. One year a young member of our party had had an injury and had to rest by sitting down....and I daresay there are people who would be fit most years but could have a problem another time. Nobody in their right mind would put their chair in the pit- would they?

houston4044
Denim Demon

Postby houston4044 » Mon Oct 09, 2017 5:42 pm

slayerslays wrote:It's a bit worrying that a fifth of responders want to ban them when some people would not be able to come without a chair. One year a young member of our party had had an injury and had to rest by sitting down....and I daresay there are people who would be fit most years but could have a problem another time. Nobody in their right mind would put their chair in the pit- would they?

You forget people have had a few and think the rules don't apply as they're on holiday at a festival.

If you read most of the posts it's not an outright ban, more a ban beyond a certain point.

Gandalf the Red
Denim Demon

Postby Gandalf the Red » Mon Oct 09, 2017 6:17 pm

I think the main thing is to point out potential risks. It's not quite a serious issue yet, but it could become one. By pointing out risks then maybe it could stop someone getting hurt. Especially consider recent events such as what has just happened in Vegas and Manchester. What if you couldn't get out due to a load of chairs?

And yes, people have put chairs right at the front and right at the front in the tent stages where people also have pits. Also by the entrances which are emergency exits. So there are complete idiots out there.
“He likes having the ball, playing football, passes. It’s like an orchestra. But it’s a silent song. But I like heavy metal more. I always want it loud.” - Jürgen Klopp

Skippy
Hell Bent for Leather

Postby Skippy » Tue Oct 10, 2017 2:34 am

It seems like there's a huge area, by the stage on the New Blood side, where there isn't really much. People always sit there anyway. Personally, I'd use that as a designated chair zone. But the trouble is with anything like that - it just won't get enforced. The security is going to be doing other things, or (as they did with bag checks this year) just give up even trying. If it was a new site, then maybe but people would just carry on as they always have. So I think the only two options are - leave them as they are, or ban them.
BANDS I LIKE FOR BLOODSTOCK!!!

Gandalf the Red
Denim Demon

Postby Gandalf the Red » Tue Oct 10, 2017 11:29 am

The problem is much of that area was taken up with the total waste of space that was the Kraken Rum Bar. But I can't see them getting rid of something that is run by one of their main sponsors.
“He likes having the ball, playing football, passes. It’s like an orchestra. But it’s a silent song. But I like heavy metal more. I always want it loud.” - Jürgen Klopp

Ghost
Hell Bent for Leather

Postby Ghost » Thu Oct 12, 2017 7:08 pm

Be nice if they got rid of the kraken bar and put a huge Mr teas there instead. Put loads of chairs there and parasols. Then the bands I'm not too fussed about I can watch from there with a nice cuppa.
I see the bad moon arising.

weatherchannel440
Lowly Peon

Postby weatherchannel440 » Tue Oct 31, 2017 9:24 am

I think there should be a area where chairs are not allowed so its a bit easier to get past the main stage.
2009 highlights backyard babies manchester, hammerfest,
download - won guest tickets (too many people bloodstock - 3rd time, latitude - 1st time

PowerThrash
Warrior of Metal

Postby PowerThrash » Mon Nov 06, 2017 8:37 am

I'm buying this bad boy :lol:

bhuggins
Lowly Peon

Postby bhuggins » Thu Mar 29, 2018 11:12 am

I use a camping chair because I'm disabled and can't stand for a long time. If they were banned then the disabled seating area would have to be a hell of a lot bigger than it is now restricting the area available for standing. So to all you chair haters - did you realise that you are asking for BOA to directly discriminate against the disabled fans? Thought not.

ScrumpiesVeteran
Leather Rebel

Postby ScrumpiesVeteran » Thu Mar 29, 2018 11:18 am

bhuggins wrote:I use a camping chair because I'm disabled and can't stand for a long time. If they were banned then the disabled seating area would have to be a hell of a lot bigger than it is now restricting the area available for standing. So to all you chair haters - did you realise that you are asking for BOA to directly discriminate against the disabled fans? Thought not.

Absolutely. Not every disability is visible either :yes: