BOA 2018: The Good, The Bad, The Ugly.

August 9-12, Catton Park, Walton on Trent, Derbyshire
Noodle
I am the Law!

BOA 2018: The Good, The Bad, The Ugly.

Postby Noodle » Sun Aug 12, 2018 2:08 pm

The annual forum feedback thread is upon us. Day trippers this year have the opportunity to beat us weekenders to the punch on this one!

What did Bloodstock do right? What needs improvement? What didn't work? Highlights? Lowlights?
If it sounds good, listen to it
MetalBeast wrote: I got told off by the landlady for banging mine on the ceiling.
tranmerefan wrote:If there's one thing you can be guaranteed of, is that this forum complained about it. And we did.

Powerslave
Slayer of Wimps/Posers

Re: BOA 2018: The Good, The Bad, The Ugly.

Postby Powerslave » Sun Aug 12, 2018 4:01 pm

Good:
-Evergrey, Kamelot, Priest & Gojira in particular
-Bunnymans chilli and Hippy Chips
-Mainstage sound was good all weekend

Bad:
-Seemingly not being able to stand anywhere without someone lighting a fag right next to you
-Rain

Ugly:
-The inevitable fat bloke in a mankini
-Man being sick in the main stage crowd before Gojira came on
-Cannibal Corpse and Combichrist

nihility00
Powermetal Child

Postby nihility00 » Sun Aug 12, 2018 7:02 pm

Good:

- EMS. Very timely, helpful and thorough.
- Rock Society as a whole.
- Serpants Lair food in the VIP area, last year there was none.
- Litter pickers getting straight on it. Nice to see.
- Site expansion in Asgard.
- Locker/charging service was great. Always is.
- Movie nights was amazing! just needs some seating like beanbags or something.

Bad:

- A lot of disinterested showsec employees at VIP, road crossing and arena entrance. A lot of heads buried in phones and a number of times I was challenged saying rock soc bands aren't allowed in on the Friday. Also just walked straight in unchecked over Saturday/Sunday.
- Festaff woman in pink highvis going mental at a bloke for pissing through the fence into the maize field but lasses with pissing devices are fine. People piss through that fence since it was at Catton and will continue to until it moves. A very childish and unprofessional outburst with arms flailing.
- Came home early because one of the food vendors gave me food poisoning. After being on an IV for an hour and given a ltr of fluid and antisickness injections my mate had to drive me home cutting short our BOA by a day.
- Some dirty prick has dragged their baggage up against my new car and made a right fucking mess. Instead of using the main drag not 10m away they've tried to drag their carcass inbetween the cars. Thanks you cunt.

Ugly:
- As much as I've tried, Sunday has really put a downer on a great festival.
- Watching people use crap trollys and giving up every 150m carrying 10 ton of crap.
Last edited by nihility00 on Tue Aug 14, 2018 10:24 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Don't care.

Turbo
Denim Demon

Postby Turbo » Sun Aug 12, 2018 11:28 pm

The Good.

Only went for the day, worst lineup in the history of Bloodstock in my opinion. Judging by the amount of people I saw with pink wristbands I’m guessing I wasn’t alone in that opinion either. Also four of last years 12 or so strong camp attended this year. I myself went to Slovenia for metal days instead and several of the camp went to Wacken instead. Sort it out.

Got to see people I don’t see very often and then also go on dodgems with said people.

Judas Priest

Emperor.

I brought the sun with me.

The Bad

Thought the car park staff on the entrance to the main car park could have been more helpful. Abrupt dickhead quick to tell me where the overflow car park was even though there was plenty of space in the main car park. I achieved my fit bit steps though so thanks.

The cunt that decided to crowd surf with a lit fag burned a hole in my hoodie. It annoys me because this is all I’m finding with metal festivals these days is that they’re littered with genuinely shit people.

The sound quality: I’ve decided to stop going to BOA because in the rare instance of them booking a band I really like it’s not nor has it ever been the best place to watch them. Remember hating the sound for Coroner when they played, I went to metal days and they completely slayed! I was stood really close for Emperor and it was all drums and whilst the sound improved for Priest, it was far from perfect.

Whatever that band was that subbed in for Suicidal Tendencies. God. Awful.

The Ugly.

Yeah I saw the guy in the mankini as soon as I was on site. Hadn’t even got my wristband.

Felt stiff as a board on Saturday after the most savage dodgems ever.

north sea storm
Leather Rebel

Postby north sea storm » Mon Aug 13, 2018 6:14 am

Was only there on Friday
Good Judas Priest sensational , Love bites getting on main stage kamelot emperor and bloodbath.
Bad Wednesday 13 although seemed to go down well , not my thing , price of food ,a rip off.
Ugly the rain mid day and portly girls dress sense.

Tankplanker
Consort of the Beast

Postby Tankplanker » Mon Aug 13, 2018 7:30 am

Did the weekend in VIP camping with my son.
The Good
Priest - they aren't my sort of band but they put on a great show and my son really enjoyed seeing them.
Gojira - despite the rain, some technical issues with the drum kit, and a muddy sound in places (at least from where I was standing) really good set. Can't be easy following Priest the next night.
Alestorm and Cannibal Corpse- did what they were paid to do very well: get the party started
Saturday's line up - not many dead spots on the line this day for me
Powertrip - for being amazing at 11:30am and drawing a large crowd
The Young Boys - hope that kid sticks at it as he has the makings of being a big star

The Bad
The toxic couple who would verbally abuse each other at 4am at full volume most mornings in VIP camping. If this is you, you really need to split up as it can't be good for your health. The fact that the Tangerine Fields camping people had to come over and help you setup your tent before you murdered each other says it all.
Sunday's line up - Really poor, I had like 2 bands I actually wanted to see
Far too many crap bands like Lovebites and Devil Driver that belong at Download.
Food - choice of good places to eat was far too small, loads of crappy trading estate vans, compare to somewhere like End of the Road for a decent selection

Really enjoyed Friday and Saturday, but will we go next year? Highly unlikely based on the line ups being mooted, its like Sunday but over three days than just one.

Everdreamer1990
Lowly Peon

Postby Everdreamer1990 » Mon Aug 13, 2018 8:07 am

The good
Sunday as the limeup was amazing
The ravioli food stand
Meeting Orphaned Land & being front row for their set
Kamelot, Weds 13, Fozzy & Evergrey
NIGHTWISH

The bad
The rain
Some rude Showsec staff. Most were great though
The noise from the Sophie tent at night un VIP

The ugly
The idiots fighting behind me during Nightwish
The sound. Especially yesterday.
The extreme cold on Fri night

JPMC
Warrior of Metal

Postby JPMC » Mon Aug 13, 2018 10:17 am

The Good:
Alestorm! Alien Weaponry, Onslaught, Priest!

The bad:
Me making out with some girl on Thursday who appeared to have a cough. Started to feel pretty bad on Saturday. Now I got strep throat for the first time in my life.
The security around VIP was extremely lax this year. I found two mates camped in midgard who walked into VIP to visit me but went totally unchecked.

The ugly:
There seemed to be a lot of fighting this year, people were tense.
My illness making me have to call it a day sometime on Sunday.

kurrupo
Consort of the Beast

Postby kurrupo » Mon Aug 13, 2018 10:38 am

The good:
- Lovebites smashing their unexpected main stage set. I know they may be a bit melodic for some people but you can't argue with the sheer amount of talent those girls have
- Gojira putting on headliner worthy set and managing to cheer me up after getting wet and miserably while waiting for them
- Orphaned Land being my surprise set of the weekend. They were brilliant and will definitely be checking them out again
- Mr Big proving they belong at the festival. Like Lovebites, might be too melodic for some people, but again you can't deny the talent they have. That Bass/Guitar trade-off before Addicted To That Rush was unreal
- As usual at Bloodstock, the atmosphere was great again. Met some great people
- On a personal note meeting 3 members of Lovebites while watching the Emperor set was a pretty special moment for me

The bad
- The sound at main stage this year was atrocious at times. Most notably during Venom and Orden Ogan when I could hardly hear anything other than kick drum. Couldn't hear the vocals for Devildriver either which kinda ruined their set for me
- The rain on Saturday was pretty miserable but at least it stopped for Gojira

The ugly
- As others have mentioned, the fat bloke in the mankini really wasn't necessary!

All in all, had great weekend though and will definitely be back next year

Methuen
Warrior of Metal

Postby Methuen » Mon Aug 13, 2018 10:54 am

My first Bloodstock since 2008 (and my wife's first festival ever)

Good:
Great mixed lineup for me - plenty to see in the tents when the Kerrang rubbish was on the main stage.
Lovebites - got a great reception filling in on the main stage, and can really really play.
Mr Big - great to break up the Kerrang rubbish with some real musicians !
Nightwish !
Motley Brew - friendly, helpful, excellent place for some downtime.
Bunnyman's chilli and nachos.
Hippy Chips.
Friendly bar staff even when it was really busy.
The nice person that handed my (contactless) credit card into lost & found.
Great sound in the tents / main stage (mostly).
Merch / Music stalls - great range !
Range of Veggie / Gluten Free food - very, very useful for a coeliac visitor to be able to eat without carting in a car load of stuff.

Bad:
Just the weather, but you can't control that.
Bizarre placement of urinals on the main path into Valhalla camp.
The group of Northern Irish lads that never left the camp, and were louder than the bands.
Sound bleed from the mainstage into the New Blood tent - could do with some walls around one side ?

The Ugly
The Veggie stall charging ten quid for a tiny tray of rice and chickpeas - just get out.
Amaranthe missing half of their set due to set up issues wasn't great - happened to a few bands (Weight of the Tide, Aonia, Gojira, etc.)
The idiots trying to crush all of the small folk at the front for Priest.
Indoor 2005, 2006
BOA 2008, 2018, 2019

Skippy
Hell Bent for Leather

Postby Skippy » Mon Aug 13, 2018 1:28 pm

The Good
The bands - almost everyone I watched were really good.
Kamelot, Orden Ogan, Combichrist, Arkona, Orphaned Land Evergrey, Nightwish and Watain (surprisingly) deserve mentions
The food seemed much improved this year. Wasn't amazing, but the footlong sausages were actually edible for once.

The Bad
The queue to get in. Thankfully we gamed it a bit to get in quickly, getting wristbands then coming back for our stuff but it still took way longer than it had any right to.
The weather. The rain didn't really bother me but the mud was annoying and the cold on the Friday night almost killed me.
The Friday lineup in general. Absolutely piss poor. Until Kamelot I watched barely anything.
Lovebites being moved - one of the few bands I wanted to watch on Friday, missed them because I had no interest in Tendencies. Really disappointing.

The Ugly
Judas Priest - controversial, but they looked a bit past it. Halford looked like a sad old man wandering around stage, and the rest of the band seemed to be stretching it a bit. Not terrible, but didn't really seem worth the massive crowd.
The obligatory fat men in mankinis, and the old naked woman on someone's shoulders during Alestorm. Excellent sight.
BANDS I LIKE FOR BLOODSTOCK!!!

samlewis45
Definitely Not Nu

Postby samlewis45 » Mon Aug 13, 2018 3:06 pm

My third BOA, and overall it was a excellent weekend.

Good:
- Most of the bands I wanted to see impressed, particularly Nightwish who were the band of the weekend for me
- Seeings bands that caused some grumblings when they were announced (Kamelot and Mr. Big in particular) absolutely smashing it and putting on great sets
- The fact that the toilets were mostly pleasant and well stocked with bog roll
- The fact that most of the people who camped near me were chill and kept things quiet at night
- The paella stall
- Meeting Evergrey
- Friendly security

Bad:
- The amount of generic death metal/not-even-proper-death-metal-just-riffs-and-bellowing-type-bands that filled up lots of the lower down slots on the smaller stages
- Amaranthe and Orden Ogan's sound. I thought for the most part the sound was decent, but Orden Ogan were so much quieter than everyone else and who the fuck knows what was going on with Amaranthe (who I do usually like)
- The queue to get in. Not as bad as what I read about last year (I didn't go) but it still took me an hour and a half to get in
- Someone said this further up but the amount of smoking, especially in the tents. Wherever you stood at times you'd get a face full of it
- The dickhead camped near me who kept shouting 'FESTIVAL' and 'MOTHERFUCKERS' for no reason at 3am on Sunday morning
- The price of most of the food, it is getting ludicrous

Ugly:
- Mankinis
- The people kicking off in Asgard at 3am this morning, cut that shit out

bloodofthekings
Paster of Muppets

Postby bloodofthekings » Mon Aug 13, 2018 3:47 pm

The Good:
- Nightwish - put on an excellent show and easily the band of the weekend for me.
- Lovebites - happy they got switched as it worked out for me better than my original schedule. Sure the singing could be improved but I thought they were pretty decent and I'm glad I watched them
- Orden Ogan - 2nd best band of the weekend for me behind Nightwish, need to listen to more of them.
- Chris Jericho putting everyone on the list during Fozzy's set :-)
- The jacket potatoes from the stall near where deli-kate used to be - was my food of choice for the weekend.
- Being able to hang out and drink with friends in the campsite on Saturday afternoon as there was fuck-all decent on after Orden Ogan.
- Often goes unsaid but the size of the festival - was really happy it hasn't grown as it's nice not having everything miles apart like at other festivals (e.g. Download)
- Security being generally pleasant. Didn't encounter any dickheads from Showsec this year.
- Staying in a hotel - spent a fair amount of time in the campsite drinking with friends when there weren't bands on I wanted to see and every year I just see more and more things which completely validate my choice not to camp.

The Bad:
- The weather on the Saturday evening but after 3 solid years of great weather all weekend, it was bound to break some time.
- The Saturday line-up. Absolutely dreadful for those of us who prefer the melodic side of things. After Orden Ogan there was absolutely nothing for me. Ended up getting a taxi back to the hotel at 9.30.
- Not knowing With the Dead had cancelled and having to sit through some "comedy" before we found out (couldn't get any signal on site so couldn't check what had happened).
- People moaning about the inclusion of Mr Big and Lovebites on the lineup particularly when they are actually more in tune with the original music policy of the festival than any of the black and death metal bands that get booked these days.
- Emperor - given them two goes at Bloodstock now and this time with what I was told was them playing a more 'accessible' album than '...Nightside'. Still don't get the hype about them at all.
- Some of the food prices. I'm glad I spotted how small the trays were at the ravioli place first as £8 for that was a total rip off.
- The drop-off point being moved down to the car park (I still can't see the benefit this has brought)

The Ugly:
- The campsite on Sat night/Sun morning. So glad I didn't camp
- Spotting a bloke in a mankini within 20 seconds of being on site
- Overflowing urinals before the first day had even finished

Haldamir319
Hell Bent for Leather

Postby Haldamir319 » Mon Aug 13, 2018 3:54 pm

The Good -

The bands. Our group discussed this across the weekend, and we are in agreement that this was one of the most balanced bills to date - not just in the bands booked, but in the placement of them. We have quite diverse tastes in our group, but we all had a base amount of around 5-8 bands each per day to see plus others we wanted to check out.

The headliners. Fantastic performances from all three on the RJD stage. All felt worthy of their slot and had some special quality about them. I can't comment too much on the Sophie stage, but Doro's set was loads of fun too (miles better than their previous performance), and the pals of mine that caught Orphaned Land really enjoyed them too.

Food. Despite Deli Kate's retirement and the seeming moving on from Uncle Gio's, I found the selection on hand to be good. There'll always be room for improvement, but the combo of paella, burritos, decent burgers / hotdogs / pulled pork sorted me out nicely. Even the bog standard vendors seem to have upped their game a bit - contactless payment at around half of them, as well as things like the breadcakes etc being and tasting of decent quality and freshness.

The Bad -

Announcements for changes in stage times. Whilst it wasn't awful, I think the festival could do a LOT better. The Lovebites / Suicidal Tendencies swap and the With the Dead cancellation and subsequent replacement with Andrew O'Neil's stand up show could have done with being broadcast much more clearly on some sort of site wide announcement system.

The organisation behind Andrew O'Neil's quiz show slot. Only watched the 80s night, so I don't know if it was improved on subsequent nights, but he went down like a lead balloon. It's a huge shame, as I find him usually very likable and really funny, but people turned up expecting music to find a cobbled together quiz that wasn't that funny. I think the festival itself should have been upfront with the supposed timings of everything (on the first night it was announced as meant to be 30ish minutes of music, then the quiz show, then apprx 2 hours more of music). I like that BOA are trying out different things, but this was a miss for me.

The queue. Not as bad as last year, but we were still in the thing for something close to the 3 or so hours. I think they widen it by at least 3-4 more lanes, and maybe have the queue dividing fencing run much further down (especially the fence for those re-entering on the far right).

The path in Midgard after the right. Not a lot peeps could do on site, at it far from the worst I've seen, but I think the festival should consider getting some hay or something on hand to put down the main walkways overnight.

Volume of toilets. As in, the amount. Quality of them was pretty good again and that seems to be nailed down now. However, I think they should consider adding around 10% more spread across all areas - some of the queues were crazy, particularly notable after Alestorm, for example.

The Ugly -

I'll be honest, I can't think of anything worthy of the comment.

Ghost
Hell Bent for Leather

Postby Ghost » Mon Aug 13, 2018 4:06 pm

With the dead cancelling was announced after voyager's set in the tent. They probably should have said something from the main stage too.
I see the bad moon arising.