BOA 2018: The Good, The Bad, The Ugly.

August 9-12, Catton Park, Walton on Trent, Derbyshire
Powerslave
Slayer of Wimps/Posers

Re: BOA 2018: The Good, The Bad, The Ugly.

Postby Powerslave » Tue Aug 14, 2018 7:47 am

regarding the price of food, the stands charge what they need to charge to make it worth their while. they have to pay a reasonably hefty fee for their location and generally speaking most of them won't start making a profit until Sunday.

nihility00
Powermetal Child

Postby nihility00 » Tue Aug 14, 2018 8:10 am

Love the passive aggression in these threads.
Don't care.

houston4044
Denim Demon

Postby houston4044 » Tue Aug 14, 2018 8:14 am

Good
- The pie shop, it was filling plus tasty and was the only thing that came close to being value for money
- The toilets, didn't find a dirty one all weekend
- Had plenty of room in the camp site even with the increased capacity since people wouldn't venture into the centre to check for space
- Suicidal Tendencies moving to the tent and ripping it a new one
- Being able to sneak in beer with ease
- Not playing the same song on rotation ad infinium between bands was a welcome relief

Bad
- increasing the campsite capacity by making the walkway smaller and moving them close to the toilets (why people camped there I'll never know)
- The sound, nearly every band had something wrong be it muddy guitars or low vocals, didn't ruin bands but did hamper them.
- Bloodbath starting late meaning I missed them completely
- Got to BOA early this year to beat the queue but still a good 40 minute wait at 11am, if they don't expand then it seems like you'll have to get to the gates at like 10am to beat the queue
- The mud, why not throw something down? Entrance to Midguard and Arena were awful
- The little trenches dug into the grass on the walkway between tickets and the arena entrance, total trolley killer
- Too few water points and some of them were just a trickle

Ugly
- The queue at the main gates when walking back to the car at 3pm, good lord.
- The poor passer by who got a face full of someone's gazebo when the wind took it, looked painful
- Walking past the drunks who had collapsed seemingly overnight in the mud, what a hangover they looked to be

cheesemason
Slayer of Wimps/Posers

Postby cheesemason » Tue Aug 14, 2018 9:19 am

Good:

-Great weekend again as usual
-The pie shop near the entrance - best festival food I've ever had
-Loads of good performances, particularly Nightwish, Emperor, Gojira, Septicflesh and VOLA
-Missed last year so was worried the big crowds would spoil it a bit, but felt the same as ever really

Bad:

-The official BOA Twitter saying that Nightwish's start time was changed to 9.15. So I decided to stay to the end of Pallbearer, and when I left the tent realised the Nightwish had already played one song. Piss poor
-The sound was distinctly ropey for a few bands. Emperor was really quiet and for the first half of Nightwish the bass guitar and bass drums were FAR too loud
-Not anyone's fault, but Suicidal Tendencies being moved. Meant I could only watch first 20 minutes and they looked great, so gutted to miss the rest
-Not putting a steward at on the road by the Overflow Car Park. So drive past it to the main entrance to be told to go back to the overflow. When I suggested they should put someone there, he just looked at me blankly, and then he started kicking off when I turned round in the road
-They really need to put the Jagermeister stage back to being an acoustic stage. Whats the point of putting extreme metal bands on a stage where you cant see or properly hear them unless you are in the first 3 rows. Not fair on the bands either

Ugly:

-Nothing I can really think of

red_death
Definitely Not Nu

Postby red_death » Tue Aug 14, 2018 10:37 am

The Good: great music in a great location with great friends. Good beer choices most of the time in Lemmy's bar.

The bad: the queue to get in - we arrived at around 1300 and it took us over 2 hours to get in. Ridiculous. Particularly given the lack of checks that were actually being done. The organisers know that X thousand people will be arriving at various points and should plan accordingly.

Deli-kates was missed. Some nice food but prices high for what you got - some of the portions were miserly.

GTFCMike
Definitely Not Nu

Postby GTFCMike » Tue Aug 14, 2018 11:47 am

Good
Sophie and New Blood stage sound
Toilets
All the bands I enjoyed, especially Judas Priest.
The usual crowd of people whose company I enjoy.
The lack of thieving complaints. Hope that's a genuine reflection of the festival as a whole.
Lager was nicer than the 2017 offering.

Bad
Main stage sound - poor at times.
Rain (I like the sun!).
Ever increasing food prices and portion reduction.
People moaning about type of bands on stage when there are alternatives elsewhere.

Ugly
The sight of fully grown men trotting around in mankini's. Not cool. Not funny. Should be banned.
Come on Bloodstock. You know you want to. Hypocrisy. Sort it, Bloodstock! ;)

GTFCMike
Definitely Not Nu

Postby GTFCMike » Tue Aug 14, 2018 11:55 am

Dunning wrote:I love going down the front at gigs. When I do this I take care to avoid harming other people down there or generally being an arsehole, as most people do, but I accept that it's the front of metal festival, you may end up with a pint down you or painful blows to body parts. Fine, it happens. What I'm not fine with is someone being that much of a lazy, ignorant, drunken, disgusting person that they just whip their cock out in the middle of a crowded pit and piss everywhere. Rather than taking the two minutes to exit the crowd and go to a urinal to empty their bladder before returning to the front, you'd rather just piss on my leg, forcing me to leave Gojira so I could bin my clothes and wash.

Surely the idiot was dealt with?? It's a shame that what follows increased attendances are a larger number of arseholes who spoil the festival for those part of the decent, well behaved majority.
Come on Bloodstock. You know you want to. Hypocrisy. Sort it, Bloodstock! ;)

bloodfiend
Denim Demon

Postby bloodfiend » Tue Aug 14, 2018 12:02 pm

Powerslave wrote:regarding the price of food, the stands charge what they need to charge to make it worth their while. they have to pay a reasonably hefty fee for their location and generally speaking most of them won't start making a profit until Sunday.

I spoke to a woman from Birmingham last year who was running a stall that sold belts, wristbands etc, and she said the cost of having a stall was huge and she'd be lucky to break even. Unfortunately the organisers need to lower the site fees if what they cost is gonna come down.

I avoiding this year cos of the naff line up, and seeing as it was rainy and muddy and had massive queues, I'm glad....meanwhile I was watching great bands in the sun at Brutal Assault!

someone else
Denim Demon

Postby someone else » Tue Aug 14, 2018 1:29 pm

Good - good friendly crowd, and despite the lacklustre line up, particularly the lower orders, I had a good time and enjoyed 5 of the 6 headliners and some goods bands peppered about.
Arriving on Friday meant using the overflow car park, which meant less walking at the end of the day

Bad - beers weren't great, mainly flat and lifeless, like a CAMRA event 10 years ago. VIP has a large selection but maybe 10 good beers kept well would be better over 40 average ones.

Ugly - photos of the remnants of the campsites this morning, why can't people take their stuff back with them?! All adds to clean up costs that could be spent elsewhere
She wanted nothing...and I delivered

http://www.last.fm/user/apm11

bloodofthekings
Paster of Muppets

Postby bloodofthekings » Tue Aug 14, 2018 2:14 pm

If the price of food has gone up to meet the increasing costs faced by vendors, then the organisers need to look at lowering the pitch fees because paying £8 - £10 for anything remotely filling is bs

JPMC
Warrior of Metal

Postby JPMC » Tue Aug 14, 2018 3:39 pm

dclizardking wrote:
Tet wrote:
JPMC wrote:Oh and I almost forgot. What the hell was that The Lost band playing in VIP on Saturday? What a load of old shit. Have they ever actually heard the songs they were trying to play?

They were called The Lost Boys. Brule were originally meant to be playing in that slot, but one of the members ended up in hospital (fortunately, he's now on the mend) so they had to cancel. The Lost Boys were a last minute addition, basically due to a random conversation with one of the organisers in the bar the day before. It's some guy and his two young sons (I think he said they were 11 and 12), and they were offered the opportunity to fill the empty slot and took it. I didn't think they were great, but good on them for giving it a go at the last minute.

Have to agree with Tet here, they were two young kids given the opportunity of a lifetime to appear at the biggest metal festival in Britain and they grabbed it, who wouldn't? They weren't great, but one day those kids will be great musicians and the chance they were given last weekend could make all the diference in them going on to become stars in the future.

Well now I feel like a dick. I didn't get close enough to get the full story on them. As for becoming stars, I would hope they are receptive to criticism nonetheless.

someone else
Denim Demon

Postby someone else » Tue Aug 14, 2018 3:48 pm

Good on them - a mate's band got the call to see if they could do the slot - he was already there - but one member couldn't make it
She wanted nothing...and I delivered

http://www.last.fm/user/apm11

Black Wizard
Leather Rebel

Postby Black Wizard » Tue Aug 14, 2018 4:54 pm

The Good
- All three headliners!
- Kamelot, Onslaught, Alestorm, Orden Ogan, Evergrey, Monument, Alien Weaponry
- Toilets in Asgard being generally usable
- Nutella Crepes in Midgard and Hippy Chippy in the arena :yes:
- Acceptable beer prices at the bars

The Bad
- Some of the food stalls in the arena increasing prices by £1 as early as Friday, specifically the only Vegetarian/Vegan stall. This stall had a monopoly across the whole site as the other food stalls only had a token vegetarian/vegan option at best. I refused to use this stall on principle when I noticed the prices had been increased.
- Smoking in the Sophie tent. There are No Smoking signs and last year I seem to remember there being announcements but the smoking ban was not enforced in any way.
- Rain. Sort it out Bloodstock!
- Poor sound at the main stage. I could barely hear the vocals for Devildriver and Monument. Sad!
- Amaranthe's use of backing tracks rather than having a keyboard player onstage and the guy's poor attempt at comedy with racial slurs before their late start.
- Too many Extreme Metal bands for my liking.

The Ugly
- Everyone who is not Floor Jansen
- The vomit outside Lichfield City train station before 11am on Thursday. Great start to the weekend for someone!

WorMzy
Denim Demon

Postby WorMzy » Tue Aug 14, 2018 6:18 pm

Good:
Awesome people.
Some sun.
Good variety of bands across the weekend.
Plenty of space in the regular campsites (can't speak for Vanaheim/VIP).
MEAD! Actually available at the VIP bar throughout the weekend! For a reasonable price! Bar staff that actually know what I mean when I ask for it! Take all my money!
Won a hoodie through Rock Soc. :D
Saw a random group of strangers playing Danger Can shortly after getting my tent set up on the Thursday.

Bad:
Although varied, the lineup wasn't particularly interesting. If I hadn't gotten a early-bird/rock soc membership well ahead of time, I wouldn't have been attending.
BGC still only has one pickup/drop off for the entire of Scotland.
The now infamous "Bloodstock queue" problem doesn't seem to be something the organisers are interested in fixing.
Can't get a program without buying a £6 lanyard, which I now refuse to do on principal.
Camping shop ran out of useful stuff pretty quick, and "weren't allowed to bring more onsite". Can't say it affected me particularly, but I can't remember this happening in previous years.
No DeliKate.
No IRC camp.
No Forky Forky.

Ugly:
Mud everywhere.
"I don't always go to clubs... but when I do, I enter through the ladies room"
~ Adam Jenson

CharlesDexterWard
Leather Rebel

Postby CharlesDexterWard » Tue Aug 14, 2018 6:35 pm

The good:
No wait to get my wristband and into VIP on Thursday.
Rhubarb cider and chili & ginger cider!
Texas Smoker - the chicken wings kept me going all weekend.
Old Blue Last beer, great session beer.
Suicidal Tendencies, Judas Priest, Alestorm (sometimes silly is a nice change), Cannibal Corpse, Doro, Ingested, Alien Weaponry, Demonic Resurrection.
Meeting up with old friends and making some new ones.
The friendly bar staff in VIP and Lemmy's bar.
Discovering Evergrey (I had never heard their stuff but they were excellent).
Rekovered who played in VIP on Sunday night, great easy listening and the Kate Bush cover was frankly brilliant!

The Bad:
The security staff seemed less friendly/not interested this year. I always make time to chat to the folk doing VIP security when it is quiet and some were abrupt to the point of rudeness - bit of a shame.
Main stage sound mix was a bit shitty at times.
Folk not tidying up their camp areas - it doesn't have to be pristine but some folk are dirty pigs. Use a bin bag and tidy up as you go FFS.
The cold on Friday night.
Folk lobbing partly empty cans of beer towards the front of the crowd in the main arena, folk can get hurt you stupid bastards.
The mud on the entrances and walkways, sawdust or straw would have helped.

The ugly:
Mankinis - just stop it.
The state of me at work today.
You shall fetch me your universe's ultimate cup of coffee... black.
You have 5 Earth minutes...Make it perfect!