Next Announcement

For general discussion of all things B.O.A.
varangian
Consort of the Beast

Re: Next Announcement

Postby varangian » Mon Sep 30, 2019 3:40 pm

I guess it makes quite a few happy but I dont see Devin as a headliner esp as they are touting the 20th anniversary, SG at best for me, maybe I`d think different but cant get into his solo stuff

Gloryhammer do nothing for me either, I guess always bit of Scarecrow/Alestorm esuqe fun needed on some counts

Jinjer is a predictable booking, face it the bookers love Metal Core and we are stuck with it

The poster so far looks like Download lite and wouldnt touch with a barge pole...however it`s early doors and perhaps if i`m really good that Saxon, Mercyful Fate announcement will be just round the corner

Tet
Denim Demon

Postby Tet » Mon Sep 30, 2019 4:07 pm

So far, there's only one band for me on this year's lineup: Gloryhammer. Of the rest, Devin and Dark Tranquillity can be OK on their day. Jinjer are dreadful, but were inevitable, given the (inexplicable to me) hype that's been following them around of late.

There are still plenty of bands to be announced yet, but I confess I'd been hoping for a bit more to celebrate 20 years of Bloodstock. It's all a bit underwhelming so far.
CH3NO2 -- It's the only way to be sure
You laugh at me because I'm different. I pity you, you're all the same...

cheesemason
Slayer of Wimps/Posers

Postby cheesemason » Mon Sep 30, 2019 4:12 pm

People do need to settle down a little. We still have to be announced:

2 headliners
3 special guests
3 second stage headliners
2 of the third place spots (assuming Skindred are one)

So the bulk of the big hitters still to be announced. So far its only really Devin and Gloryhammer for me, so dont get me wrong, I'm hoping for improvements, but there's still plenty of time for that

JB65
Consort of the Beast

Postby JB65 » Mon Sep 30, 2019 5:18 pm

Not worth a ticket yet, only one band I have pencilled in out of the nine so far.

Jay1993
Knight of the Eemerald Svord

Postby Jay1993 » Mon Sep 30, 2019 5:23 pm

Well that's blown our Volbeat predictions out of the window! :lol:

Quite surprised to see Devin get a headline slot; was expecting him as a special guest, but he's clearly more than capable of headlining and will smash it! Only seen him the once at Damnation 2011 and he was excellent then so very much looking forward to his set. :D

Jinjer seems to have a lot of hype around them so make for a good contemporary booking. Will have to check them out.

Not a fan of Gloryhammer personally but seemed to go down well last time.

I'm now guessing Behemoth will headline the Saturday night and potentially Priest for the Sunday...

robin8585

Postby robin8585 » Tue Oct 01, 2019 8:46 am

The new Devin record is still my album of the year and is unlikely to get shifted from that spot, so I'm obviously very happy with that.

Jinjer are one of the few core bands out there I like, and I really like them.

Gloryhammer are fantastic fun.

Superb announcement for me (plus I got 3/3 on the bingo). Still going to be holding off on getting tickets for a little while, want to see what Brutal Assault has on offer before we commit.

houston4044
Denim Demon

Postby houston4044 » Tue Oct 01, 2019 10:01 am

cheesemason wrote:
2 headliners
3 special guests
3 second stage headliners
2 of the third place spots (assuming Skindred are one)

Great start then if the names we have so far aren't even the big ones. Guess Jinjer will take the spot of the current hyped band like Power Trip/Alien Weaponry previously.

Bearintown

Postby Bearintown » Wed Oct 02, 2019 6:15 pm

Saw Devin at BOA in what?13? Sounded okay , but headliner ?
Suppose BOA is faced with the same dilemma as Download but on a smaller scale, when to promote bands to headline in order to survive down the line.
Will have a listen to revise him

J.Ross29
Powermetal Child

Postby J.Ross29 » Thu Oct 03, 2019 8:53 am

Gloryhammer and Jinjer - Spot on. I think both will bring it!

Devin, Devin, Devin. I have tried. Oh how many times I have tried but I just cant get into his stuff. Trust me I'm all for giving bands the fair time they deserve to truly appreciate what they do but whatever it is that DT is doing still eludes me.

I'm also super disappointed that Volbeat didn't get announced as I have a feeling that wont be announced at all now. Shame.They were cracking in Manchester on Tuesday. As mentioned already though plenty more stuff to be announced. It is not the end of the world...yet

varangian
Consort of the Beast

Postby varangian » Fri Oct 04, 2019 6:30 pm

Volbeat wouldnt be any good, they go storming off if their sound is a bit off
No chance of perfect sound if we get hurricanes like this year , may as well book Manowar :lol:

Czech's Mate
Denim Demon

Postby Czech's Mate » Sat Oct 05, 2019 8:03 pm

J.Ross29 wrote:Devin, Devin, Devin. I have tried. Oh how many times I have tried but I just cant get into his stuff. Trust me I'm all for giving bands the fair time they deserve to truly appreciate what they do but whatever it is that DT is doing still eludes me.

A number of years ago I felt exactly the same and then it suddenly clicked. Now I like pretty much everything he touches and am really pleased with a headline set from him

Sure he borders between genius and downright bonkers and no one can say that the music is not challenging at times. I can easily see how people don't "get it" but I for one am really pleased that I persevered and am super excited to see him. This booking guarantees at least a day ticket being purchased by me.
Television is the opium of the people

kanet666 wrote: I can deal with the odd Slipknot track now and then. Pantera on the other hand are dreadful and I'd rather stab myself in the eye with a rusty fork than put up with them.

jwh20
Slayer of Wimps/Posers

Postby jwh20 » Mon Oct 07, 2019 7:10 am

Bearintown wrote:Saw Devin at BOA in what?13? Sounded okay , but headliner ?
Suppose BOA is faced with the same dilemma as Download but on a smaller scale, when to promote bands to headline in order to survive down the line.
Will have a listen to revise him

The size of the venues he plays are Roundhouse/Royal Albert Hall/Brixton Academy, is that really smaller than some of the headliners of recent years like Mastodon, Sabaton, Trivium etc?

I didn't get him at first either, but I love him now.

suicidal_orange
Powermetal Child

Postby suicidal_orange » Mon Oct 07, 2019 10:04 am

I still don't get Devin's latest but generally I'm a fan so that's one for Friday, Dark Tranquility on Sunday... just need someone good on Saturday and I'll definitely be there.

J.Ross29
Powermetal Child

Postby J.Ross29 » Mon Oct 07, 2019 10:52 am

Czech's Mate wrote:
J.Ross29 wrote:Devin, Devin, Devin. I have tried. Oh how many times I have tried but I just cant get into his stuff. Trust me I'm all for giving bands the fair time they deserve to truly appreciate what they do but whatever it is that DT is doing still eludes me.

A number of years ago I felt exactly the same and then it suddenly clicked. Now I like pretty much everything he touches and am really pleased with a headline set from him

Sure he borders between genius and downright bonkers and no one can say that the music is not challenging at times. I can easily see how people don't "get it" but I for one am really pleased that I persevered and am super excited to see him. This booking guarantees at least a day ticket being purchased by me.

I get what you are saying and I guess what I want to get across is the fact that I have tried many a time. Ive listened to stuff from the SYL days right through to Empath. It would be in my interest to get into him as he is now headlining.

On a related but separate point...how long is an acceptable amount of time to give a band/album before you decide it isn't for you? I think if you have listened to an album/artist at least four times and it still isn't working you could probably call it day, no? I realise that could be tricky though with an artist like devin as his work is so diverse. One mans 'Alien' is another mans Empath

houston4044
Denim Demon

Postby houston4044 » Mon Oct 07, 2019 7:27 pm

J.Ross29 wrote:On a related but separate point...how long is an acceptable amount of time to give a band/album before you decide it isn't for you? I think if you have listened to an album/artist at least four times and it still isn't working you could probably call it day, no? I realise that could be tricky though with an artist like devin as his work is so diverse. One mans 'Alien' is another mans Empath

Wouldn't really put a number on it myself, if you feel you've given it a reasonable try and it doesn't click then it''s just not for you; unless your plan is to Stockholm syndrome yourself into liking it