Next Announcement

For general discussion of all things B.O.A.
J.Ross29
Powermetal Child

Re: Next Announcement

Postby J.Ross29 » Thu Oct 03, 2019 8:53 am

Gloryhammer and Jinjer - Spot on. I think both will bring it!

Devin, Devin, Devin. I have tried. Oh how many times I have tried but I just cant get into his stuff. Trust me I'm all for giving bands the fair time they deserve to truly appreciate what they do but whatever it is that DT is doing still eludes me.

I'm also super disappointed that Volbeat didn't get announced as I have a feeling that wont be announced at all now. Shame.They were cracking in Manchester on Tuesday. As mentioned already though plenty more stuff to be announced. It is not the end of the world...yet

varangian
Consort of the Beast

Postby varangian » Fri Oct 04, 2019 6:30 pm

Volbeat wouldnt be any good, they go storming off if their sound is a bit off
No chance of perfect sound if we get hurricanes like this year , may as well book Manowar :lol:

Czech's Mate
Denim Demon

Postby Czech's Mate » Sat Oct 05, 2019 8:03 pm

J.Ross29 wrote:Devin, Devin, Devin. I have tried. Oh how many times I have tried but I just cant get into his stuff. Trust me I'm all for giving bands the fair time they deserve to truly appreciate what they do but whatever it is that DT is doing still eludes me.

A number of years ago I felt exactly the same and then it suddenly clicked. Now I like pretty much everything he touches and am really pleased with a headline set from him

Sure he borders between genius and downright bonkers and no one can say that the music is not challenging at times. I can easily see how people don't "get it" but I for one am really pleased that I persevered and am super excited to see him. This booking guarantees at least a day ticket being purchased by me.
Television is the opium of the people

kanet666 wrote: I can deal with the odd Slipknot track now and then. Pantera on the other hand are dreadful and I'd rather stab myself in the eye with a rusty fork than put up with them.

jwh20
Slayer of Wimps/Posers

Postby jwh20 » Mon Oct 07, 2019 7:10 am

Bearintown wrote:Saw Devin at BOA in what?13? Sounded okay , but headliner ?
Suppose BOA is faced with the same dilemma as Download but on a smaller scale, when to promote bands to headline in order to survive down the line.
Will have a listen to revise him

The size of the venues he plays are Roundhouse/Royal Albert Hall/Brixton Academy, is that really smaller than some of the headliners of recent years like Mastodon, Sabaton, Trivium etc?

I didn't get him at first either, but I love him now.

suicidal_orange
Powermetal Child

Postby suicidal_orange » Mon Oct 07, 2019 10:04 am

I still don't get Devin's latest but generally I'm a fan so that's one for Friday, Dark Tranquility on Sunday... just need someone good on Saturday and I'll definitely be there.

J.Ross29
Powermetal Child

Postby J.Ross29 » Mon Oct 07, 2019 10:52 am

Czech's Mate wrote:
J.Ross29 wrote:Devin, Devin, Devin. I have tried. Oh how many times I have tried but I just cant get into his stuff. Trust me I'm all for giving bands the fair time they deserve to truly appreciate what they do but whatever it is that DT is doing still eludes me.

A number of years ago I felt exactly the same and then it suddenly clicked. Now I like pretty much everything he touches and am really pleased with a headline set from him

Sure he borders between genius and downright bonkers and no one can say that the music is not challenging at times. I can easily see how people don't "get it" but I for one am really pleased that I persevered and am super excited to see him. This booking guarantees at least a day ticket being purchased by me.

I get what you are saying and I guess what I want to get across is the fact that I have tried many a time. Ive listened to stuff from the SYL days right through to Empath. It would be in my interest to get into him as he is now headlining.

On a related but separate point...how long is an acceptable amount of time to give a band/album before you decide it isn't for you? I think if you have listened to an album/artist at least four times and it still isn't working you could probably call it day, no? I realise that could be tricky though with an artist like devin as his work is so diverse. One mans 'Alien' is another mans Empath

houston4044
Denim Demon

Postby houston4044 » Mon Oct 07, 2019 7:27 pm

J.Ross29 wrote:On a related but separate point...how long is an acceptable amount of time to give a band/album before you decide it isn't for you? I think if you have listened to an album/artist at least four times and it still isn't working you could probably call it day, no? I realise that could be tricky though with an artist like devin as his work is so diverse. One mans 'Alien' is another mans Empath

Wouldn't really put a number on it myself, if you feel you've given it a reasonable try and it doesn't click then it''s just not for you; unless your plan is to Stockholm syndrome yourself into liking it

jwh20
Slayer of Wimps/Posers

Postby jwh20 » Tue Oct 08, 2019 7:18 am

On my previous last fm I had over 300 scrobbles for Morbid Angel and nearly 200 for Bolt Thrower. They're always deemed mandatory so tried really hard, every album, a few times. Still don't like them at all and I love death metal.

I wouldn't ever do that again. Normally once/twice on album, if they're at a festival maybe check them out and see if they change my mind. Only time recently I've changed my mind on someone was Leprous as they're one of my friend's favourite bands. Used to hate them, not being a prog person, gave them another proper listen and really liked it.

It shouldn't take too many listens to see if you like a band or not really.

CharlesDexterWard
Leather Rebel

Postby CharlesDexterWard » Tue Oct 08, 2019 12:33 pm

Vicky on Twitter just advised that the next announcement will be Tuesday 22 October.
You shall fetch me your universe's ultimate cup of coffee... black.
You have 5 Earth minutes...Make it perfect!

Black Wizard
Leather Rebel

Postby Black Wizard » Tue Oct 08, 2019 5:17 pm

It must be Killswitch Engage then. The last show of their UK tour is on Sunday 22nd.

bloodofthekings
Paster of Muppets

Postby bloodofthekings » Tue Oct 08, 2019 7:22 pm

Black Wizard wrote:It must be Killswitch Engage then. The last show of their UK tour is on Sunday 22nd.

Ffs I hope not. First Devin and now this shit?

cheesemason
Slayer of Wimps/Posers

Postby cheesemason » Tue Oct 08, 2019 7:33 pm

Black Wizard wrote:It must be Killswitch Engage then. The last show of their UK tour is on Sunday 22nd.

Because that theory went so well with Volbeat

Black Wizard
Leather Rebel

Postby Black Wizard » Tue Oct 08, 2019 8:03 pm

cheesemason wrote:

Because that theory went so well with Volbeat

A stopped clock is correct twice a day.

Jay1993
Knight of the Eemerald Svord

Postby Jay1993 » Tue Oct 08, 2019 9:39 pm

CharlesDexterWard wrote:Vicky on Twitter just advised that the next announcement will be Tuesday 22 October.

Did she say it's a headliner or no?

varangian
Consort of the Beast

Postby varangian » Wed Oct 09, 2019 6:27 am

I hope that means we dont have to have them post any more about Parkway Drive on Twitter until that date then :lol:

It would be interesting to see pre-New Year Ticket sales over the years
If sales are slow do they quickly do an announcement or headliner announcement based on?