Last Gig/Next Gig Thread

For general discussion of all things metal-related.
someone else
Denim Demon

Re: Last Gig/Next Gig Thread

Postby someone else » Mon Oct 07, 2019 8:05 am

Gandalf the Red wrote:To be honest I think they were struggling with bands without constantly repeating the line up. Same thing was happening with the NWOBHM one. The Country/Southern Rock one has now merged with the Blues due to a lack of suitable bands.

Looks like Stoner vs Doom is canned for now - will be part of Hammerfest in Gt Yarmouth next year
She wanted nothing...and I delivered

http://www.last.fm/user/apm11

houston4044
Denim Demon

Postby houston4044 » Mon Oct 07, 2019 7:30 pm

someone else wrote:
Gandalf the Red wrote:To be honest I think they were struggling with bands without constantly repeating the line up. Same thing was happening with the NWOBHM one. The Country/Southern Rock one has now merged with the Blues due to a lack of suitable bands.

Looks like Stoner vs Doom is canned for now - will be part of Hammerfest in Gt Yarmouth next year

Where did you see that?

someone else
Denim Demon

Postby someone else » Mon Oct 07, 2019 10:43 pm

It's in one of their replies to a photo comment

Ghost
Hell Bent for Leather

Postby Ghost » Tue Oct 08, 2019 8:22 am

Last: Exhorder - Good stuff. Decent crowd and they played for more than an hour which seems rare for smaller headliners at the moment.

Next: Entombed + Aborted.
I see the bad moon arising.

bloodofthekings
Paster of Muppets

Postby bloodofthekings » Tue Oct 08, 2019 8:37 am

someone else wrote:

There's only so many times Orange Goblin can headline before folk get bored. Tbh, I imagine the HRH guys always knew that these things had a limited shelf-life. The NWOBHM one was never going to last very long considering they basically booked every available NWOBHM band in current existence within the first two years. I can't see the Viking/Folk one lasting more than another couple of years too.

Hopefully, with C.R.O.W.S getting absorbed into the Blues event and Stoner/Doom getting absorbed into Hammerfest, then they'll begin concentrating on the main HRH festival again as those line-ups have taken a serious dip in quality since all these fringe events started.

Jay1993
Knight of the Eemerald Svord

Postby Jay1993 » Wed Oct 09, 2019 1:56 pm

Last was Gary Numan and Kanga in Norwich last night. Brilliant gig! Gary played a really diverse set of old and new stuff with some deep cuts thrown in. It was my first time seeing him and songs like M.E and Metal sounded well heavy live! Said he should be returning to tour again next year so I'll definitely be keeping an eye out for that. :D

Next is The Cult in Nottingham next week. Yeah boi!

houston4044
Denim Demon

Postby houston4044 » Thu Oct 10, 2019 2:09 pm

bloodofthekings wrote:
someone else wrote:

There's only so many times Orange Goblin can headline before folk get bored. Tbh, I imagine the HRH guys always knew that these things had a limited shelf-life. The NWOBHM one was never going to last very long considering they basically booked every available NWOBHM band in current existence within the first two years. I can't see the Viking/Folk one lasting more than another couple of years too.

Hopefully, with C.R.O.W.S getting absorbed into the Blues event and Stoner/Doom getting absorbed into Hammerfest, then they'll begin concentrating on the main HRH festival again as those line-ups have taken a serious dip in quality since all these fringe events started.

If they rotated the spin off fests every few years or so (like Doom, Stoner etc) with whatever genre they can cobble a strong whole bill of decent bands that year while whatever genres are a bit thin on the ground put them onto the main fests (Hammerfest etc) it'd be ideal. Would suck for continuity but considering they're a brand of fests who attract roughly the same audience I think it could work.

Powerslave
Slayer of Wimps/Posers

Postby Powerslave » Sat Oct 12, 2019 9:58 am

Last: Alice Cooper in Birmingham last night. Alice was ace as always. There is a special place in hell reserved for The Stranglers' keyboard player.

Next: Annihilator in Wolverhampton on Wednesday.

metaldinosaur
Leather Rebel

Postby metaldinosaur » Mon Oct 14, 2019 12:27 pm

Powerslave wrote:Last: Alice Cooper in Birmingham last night. Alice was ace as always. There is a special place in hell reserved for The Stranglers' keyboard player.

What the keyboard player do?
Welcome to a brave new world/ The future here or haven't you heard?

Powerslave
Slayer of Wimps/Posers

Postby Powerslave » Mon Oct 14, 2019 1:08 pm

metaldinosaur wrote:
Powerslave wrote:Last: Alice Cooper in Birmingham last night. Alice was ace as always. There is a special place in hell reserved for The Stranglers' keyboard player.

What the keyboard player do?

Just ruined pretty much every song. If you've ever heard a child hammering away on a cheap Casio keyboard that's pretty much what it was like.

robin8585

Postby robin8585 » Tue Oct 15, 2019 10:07 am

Last: Scumface reunion show in Manchester on Saturday night. Brilliantly stupid fun from all 3 bands, The Paul Taylor Experience in particular should be ashamed of themselves. Never been to The Whiskey Jar before, it's a nice little event space. Shame about the beer prices, but that's the Northern Quarter for you I guess.

Next: Badgerfest at The Bread Shed in Manchester Friday evening and all day Saturday. Great line-up, particularly looking forward to seeing Five the Hierophant, Archetype and Hundred Year Old Man again.

metaldinosaur
Leather Rebel

Postby metaldinosaur » Tue Oct 15, 2019 1:29 pm

Last: Gary Numan, Leeds. Finally got round to seeing him. Very good.
Next: Cradle of Filth, London.
Welcome to a brave new world/ The future here or haven't you heard?

Ghost
Hell Bent for Leather

Postby Ghost » Fri Oct 18, 2019 10:50 pm

Last. Entombed + Aborted + Baest. Good gig but felt the sound could have been better.

Next. Ghost at Wembley.
I see the bad moon arising.

Jay1993

Postby Jay1993 » Sat Oct 19, 2019 12:15 am

Last gig was The Cult at Rock City on Tuesday night. Brilliant night and finally ticked one of my all-time favourite bands off the bucket list! :D

Next is Ghost next month in Nottingham again. :)

someone else
Denim Demon

Postby someone else » Tue Oct 22, 2019 6:14 pm

Last - DesertFest Antwerp - 6th one I've been to and still a highlight of the year - exchange rate means its not quite as cheap as it was when I first went, but its well organised, runs to time schedule each day, easy to get served, relaxed security (they're barely seen in the halls) and the bogs remain pristine all weekend. Zeal and Ardour were a head scratcher when they were announced as headliner, but were superb. Ty Seagall did his fuzzy, Crazy-Horse style jams on the Saturday. Sleep are a band that should tick all the boxes, but they do bore me after a while as they're one of the most charmless bands going. Other highlights were Monkey3s psyche instrumentals, Crypt Trips fuzzy take on Allmans-y country rock, Wolvenests candle lit occult rock, and mates in Elephant Tree filling the second stage to the point where people were stopped from getting (a rarity here).
Next - Few I could go to, but probably Tyla from Dogs D'Amour next week