2019 Albums

For general discussion of all things metal-related.
Bisset
Denim Demon

Re: 2019 Albums

Postby Bisset » Tue Oct 22, 2019 10:43 am

Yeah don't get me wrong, the quality can vary and the Android version of the App has had a bug with the equalizer for about 5 years now at least (massive volume spike in the first second of music before the equalizer actually kicks in)

Access to a massive library, new music instantly, having all the music I want in my pocket and the ability find new bands on a whim. Yeah it's fucking awful isn't it?
http://www.facebook.com/farseermetal

Jobdone wrote:Currently jealous of my mate whose got tomorrow off and can just hammer it for 3 days straight.

Ghost
Hell Bent for Leather

Postby Ghost » Tue Oct 22, 2019 11:27 am

I listen to loads more music due to spotify, I see more bands live as a result. It's great to go to a gig when you've already been listening to the support bands music. In the old days I would probably of only heard the main band. I wouldn't buy a CD from all three bands that are playing the gig.

It does open up bands to a wider audience. For example I was amazed that the band toxic holocaust has over a million streams for one of their songs. They would probably of only sold a few thousand records before spotify.
I see the bad moon arising.

gavdann
Slayer of Wimps/Posers

Postby gavdann » Tue Oct 22, 2019 12:35 pm

Personally I've been using Amazon music because my son has an Echo Dot and at the time we had a free trial and it seemed easier to hook up than Spotify. They've been badgering me to upgrade to their HD version for another £5 a month recently but I'm not sure whether the standard membership is the same audio quality as Spotify or worse. I might actually switch anyway because from time to time there's stuff I can't find. There hasn't been very much though!

Like everyone else, I've listened to waaaaaaaaaaaay more new music this year as a result and there is none of that disappointment when you fork £10 for something which turns out to be rubbish. I do feel slightly cheap though, as apparently the artists get close to fuck all per stream. Unless you're Ed Sheeran, almost no one makes money from these services.

I think the only CDs I've bought in the past 2-3 years are the Ghost back catalog and some Hellripper ones as I love them so much and wanted to support him.

Ghost
Hell Bent for Leather

Postby Ghost » Tue Oct 22, 2019 2:03 pm

gavdann wrote:
Like everyone else, I've listened to waaaaaaaaaaaay more new music this year as a result and there is none of that disappointment when you fork £10 for something which turns out to be rubbish. I do feel slightly cheap though, as apparently the artists get close to fuck all per stream. Unless you're Ed Sheeran, almost no one makes money from these services.

I think the only CDs I've bought in the past 2-3 years are the Ghost back catalog and some Hellripper ones as I love them so much and wanted to support him.

I hope you show your wife and kids the same affection you have for HellRipper :lol:

Death/Black metal bands have hardly ever made a living from music so I wouldn't feel cheap. Yes Spotify payments are a problem but you could also argue that the sheer amount of bands nowadays is the problem too. Anyone can make an album in their bedroom now. If we went back to buying cds then bands would still struggle because there is too much choice for the consumer.

Another problem is that when the majority of people hit thirty years old they stop checking out new music. For example they'll just happily keep buying Metallica's new albums and Merch. Even when they are now past their best.

gavdann
Slayer of Wimps/Posers

Postby gavdann » Tue Oct 22, 2019 2:32 pm

Ghost wrote:I hope you show your wife and kids the same affection you have for HellRipper :lol:

Almost. :lol:

houston4044
Denim Demon

Postby houston4044 » Wed Oct 23, 2019 10:34 pm

Ghost wrote:
Gandalf the Red wrote:
J.Ross29 wrote:
The 21st century :rolleyes:

It's shit though. There are far better means to access music.

Enlighten us big guy.

I watch Top of the Pops and Scuzz :eyes:

Ghost
Hell Bent for Leather

Postby Ghost » Wed Oct 23, 2019 10:58 pm

houston4044 wrote:
I watch Top of the Pops:

Yeah but that's just because you like that DJ that hosts it....Jimmy something.

houston4044
Denim Demon

Postby houston4044 » Thu Oct 24, 2019 9:28 pm

Ghost wrote:
houston4044 wrote:
I watch Top of the Pops:

Yeah but that's just because you like that DJ that hosts it....Jimmy something.

Now then now then, lets not be going there :P

Black Wizard
Leather Rebel

Postby Black Wizard » Fri Oct 25, 2019 8:22 am

I'm more of a CD:UK fan myself.

gavdann
Slayer of Wimps/Posers

Postby gavdann » Fri Oct 25, 2019 10:24 am

Black Wizard wrote:I'm more of a CD:UK fan myself.

Cat Deeley was rather dreamy. :D

someone else
Denim Demon

Postby someone else » Fri Oct 25, 2019 10:39 am

I remember Slash's band being booted off after he told a story about blow jobs and a lizard that 'bit the fuck out him'. Cue Ant or Dec making a serious faced apology and the band not allowed to play.
She wanted nothing...and I delivered

http://www.last.fm/user/apm11

houston4044
Denim Demon

Postby houston4044 » Fri Oct 25, 2019 1:00 pm

Decided to put Kerrang on earlier for recommendations for something new to listen to, found 3 artists who released something this year and gave the first 3 tracks a listen and I got:

Alter Bridge- Pretty boring to be honest, wouldn't listen to the rest of it

Devil Wears Prada- Haha, no.

Korn- Went on to give the whole a go, quite good actually.

Pretty crap idea to get ideas from Kerrang all in all :lol:

Czech's Mate
Denim Demon

Postby Czech's Mate » Sat Oct 26, 2019 5:07 pm

New Alcest is lovely and has the same vibe as some of the earlier albums which is pleasing

New Dawn Ray'd is absolutely superb.

Both albums likely to be in my top 10 albums of the year
Television is the opium of the people

kanet666 wrote: I can deal with the odd Slipknot track now and then. Pantera on the other hand are dreadful and I'd rather stab myself in the eye with a rusty fork than put up with them.

Kanwulf
Denim Demon

Postby Kanwulf » Tue Oct 29, 2019 1:17 pm

Alcest - They've forced its way into my top 3 of the year (Just after Drab Majesty and Devourment). Really, really loved this album a lot.

Jinjer - It was quite good, normally wouldn't enjoy that style of metal but it was enjoyable.

Mayhem - Surprised me a lot. Was half expecting it to be complete shit, but they really pulled it out of the bag.

1349 - More of the same from 1349, but that's a very good thing. Loved every second of the album and was very pleased with some of the riffs.

Sunn O)))) - Never really "got" the whole drone thing, but this album spoke to my soul, I swear :P

J.Ross29
Powermetal Child

Postby J.Ross29 » Thu Oct 31, 2019 6:14 pm

Yeah Mayhems new album is a serious return to form. Could listen to Atilla's voice all day!