Bands Changing Musical Style

For general discussion of all things metal-related.
Metalchemyst
Denim Demon

Bands Changing Musical Style

Postby Metalchemyst » Mon Dec 23, 2019 12:06 am

Which bands have changed their formula too much, too little and just about the right amount?
DISTORTION JUNKIES SHALL INHERIT THE EARTH

jwh20
Slayer of Wimps/Posers

Re: Bands Changing Musical Style

Postby jwh20 » Mon Dec 23, 2019 8:19 am

Just the right amount:
The Gathering
Ulver
Deathspell Omega
Anathema (even if the Optimist is gash)

someone else
Denim Demon

Postby someone else » Mon Dec 23, 2019 9:11 am

The 90s were dreadful for it - I had mentioned this on another forum - back then, the mags catered for 'the kids' and once you were out of step with them, there wasn't really an outlet, this also meant bands trying to chase trends as they had no way of getting press. Motley Crue, Warrant, Shotgun Messiah, Faster Pussycat, Skin, Def Leppard etc going grunge/industrial
She wanted nothing...and I delivered

http://www.last.fm/user/apm11

metaldinosaur
Leather Rebel

Postby metaldinosaur » Mon Dec 23, 2019 10:06 am

I usually prefer a band to change its style than dishonestly regurgitate something they have grown out of.

Satyricon may not always hit the mark every time, but they believe in what they do, and it is, at the very least, interesting. Fear Factory, however, got to the stage of rehashing old tropes ad nauseum and I find it pretty tedious to listen to.

I also agree with the above about bands chasing trends. It doesn't usually turn out well.
Welcome to a brave new world/ The future here or haven't you heard?

gavdann
Slayer of Wimps/Posers

Postby gavdann » Mon Dec 23, 2019 11:22 am

As far as I'm concerned a good album is a good album. I've never been too concerned about genres so it doesn't matter to me if (for example) an old school death metal band suddenly incorporates black metal influences.

Deliberate band wagon jumping to remain relevant is definitely a no-no but if it's done subtly by incorporating a cross pollination of modern sounds I'm ok with that. I'm all for a band trying different things and experimenting whilst remaining true to their core sound as it keeps them interesting.

someone else
Denim Demon

Postby someone else » Mon Dec 23, 2019 11:42 am

Its strange how some bands can avoid sounding old hat and others just embarrass themselves with a two-footed leap into modern sounds - Crue went from Dr Feelgood to songs about child abuse, Van Halen went from calling an album F.U.C.K to a comeback single featuring knife and gunshot victims, Def Leppard went from Lets Get Rocked to 'I'm tired and feeling hateful' in the space of one album.

I think now, theres outlets for people who have grown out of what's in Kerrang or Metal Hammer, so bands don't have to change to fight for space. The flipside is so many 'new wave of classic rock' bands that are just Zep clones with audiences that are mostly 40+

houston4044
Denim Demon

Postby houston4044 » Mon Dec 23, 2019 2:47 pm

For me it depends if they can make it sound like a natural progression/evolution than just a wholesale switch up. Metallica are a good example (and the reason why bands who aim to "make our black album" miss the point) of a band doing it right. Discharge and Celtic Frost are the good examples of a band doing it wrong.

Think the best case of a band wagon jumping band has to be Papa Roach, went from a nu-metal rap band to a Buckcherry esque rock band, to a dubstep-ish electronica band and now onto an Imagine Dragons style. One point I will give them is that they have been consistently shit throughout.

Gandalf the Red
Denim Demon

Postby Gandalf the Red » Mon Dec 23, 2019 2:48 pm

What I hate is when bands drastically change and then piss over their entire back catalogue and even ridicule the fans who put them where they are in the first place.

Metallica is a prime example. Remember them laughing at old footage of when they were still a Thrash band and had long hair when on the Jules Holland show?

If you want to do alternative projects or totally change the direction of the band then do it under a different name.

I much prefer it when bands have gradual change. Iron Maiden for example is a totally different beast than it was in the early 1980s, but it's been evolution rather than revolution and I doubt they pissed off many fans over the years.

It's also quite telling that many bands that didn't drastically change in the 1990s still did quite well. Motorhead, Slayer, Megadeth, etc. were still packing big venues whilst many of their contemporaries were playing tiny clubs.
“He likes having the ball, playing football, passes. It’s like an orchestra. But it’s a silent song. But I like heavy metal more. I always want it loud.” - Jürgen Klopp

Gandalf the Red
Denim Demon

Postby Gandalf the Red » Mon Dec 23, 2019 3:06 pm

houston4044 wrote:For me it depends if they can make it sound like a natural progression/evolution than just a wholesale switch up. Metallica are a good example (and the reason why bands who aim to "make our black album" miss the point) of a band doing it right. Discharge and Celtic Frost are the good examples of a band doing it wrong.

Are you sure? Metallica are by far the worst offenders IMO. Went from Thrash Metal to corporate sell outs as soon as major record labels started waving money about.

Those of us who were there at the time remember them changing virtually overnight from a band that would help load their own gear, sign autographs and having a drink in the local pub with the fans before the gig, to turning up in limos wearing sunglasses. That was even still happening when they were playing places like Manchester Apollo and Hammy Odeon.

They also went from encouraging fans to make bootlegs to going through the courts to stop fans distributing bootlegs.

Corporate Rock really does suck....
“He likes having the ball, playing football, passes. It’s like an orchestra. But it’s a silent song. But I like heavy metal more. I always want it loud.” - Jürgen Klopp

gavdann
Slayer of Wimps/Posers

Postby gavdann » Mon Dec 23, 2019 3:19 pm

Gandalf the Red wrote:Are you sure? Metallica are by far the worst offenders IMO

I actually agree with most of what you've said but for me the style shift and attitude shift was more noticeable from Black album => Load than And Justice => Black.

Having a large amount of success with One, releasing Enter Sandman and then hearing the Black album for the first time really didn't come across as a major stylistic change to me. The whole Napster shit, short haircuts and black eyeliner was a lot more jarring in the mid 90's when Load came out. That's the real point at which I started to lose interest in them.

Although I thought Death Magnetic was better than most of what they'd released in the previous 20 years or so, it did smack of a desperate attempt to be accepted again by the metal community. Come the release of Hardwired, they went back to not giving a shit again.

houston4044
Denim Demon

Postby houston4044 » Mon Dec 23, 2019 4:23 pm

Probably should of been more specific :lol:

I can only comment on album output (wasn't alive in the 80's) but from Kill to Black it feels like a natural progression. Each album refined the sound until Black which Imo condensed it.

Load to Death Magnetic however is when it felt like they changed style to stay relevant rather than it being a natural curve in the music. Think the new album was just something they could throw out to have a reason to tour and not get (more) stale rather than an artistic statement.

someone else
Denim Demon

Postby someone else » Mon Dec 23, 2019 4:56 pm

Gandalf the Red wrote:
It's also quite telling that many bands that didn't drastically change in the 1990s still did quite well. Motorhead, Slayer, Megadeth, etc. were still packing big venues whilst many of their contemporaries were playing tiny clubs.

Hmm - each one of those had their moments, most sailed through grunge but had a wobble in the mid-late 90s, like Slayer telling everyone they were a punk band and Megadeth coming out with Crush Em etc - both went down to much smaller venues like the Astoria or LA2 in Megadave's case, rather than the Brixton Academies, Hammy O's of previous tours. Motorhead tried to refine their sound for March Or Die, but gave up on the idea and just plugged on.

varangian
Consort of the Beast

Postby varangian » Tue Dec 24, 2019 8:13 am

To be fair most bands tend to change their style, ACDC would be a major who have clung to their style thick and thin
Famously saw many bands change both style and image circa 1991-93, suddenly hair metal band dropped the big hair, detuned the strings and grew goatees, certainly recall Metallica with eye liner on all very strange.

sometimes it works, sometimes it dosent- I mean Motorhead`s Another perfect Day and Motley Crue`s self titled both were hated at the time now looked on a lot more positively, time changes opinions

Soze
Denim Demon

Postby Soze » Fri Dec 27, 2019 11:13 am

For me, of all the bands who have experimented and altered their syle over the years, the two which have always succeeded at whatever they've tried, and have near faultless discographies, are Voivod and Enslaved.

varangian
Consort of the Beast

Postby varangian » Fri Dec 27, 2019 7:50 pm

The obvious ones who could transcend boundaries succesfully before it was universally popular to do so- Queen and Led Zeppelin
In fact Robert Plant particuarly continues to do so, looking forward rather than back

Deep Purple changed their sound greatly under Coverdale/Hughes into what would be be the classic rock sound, later adding more soul/funk and blues, perhaps fans of Mothers Finest may argue who was first to do so but surely FNM and RHCP owe them a debt?

A lot of the earlier bands didnt make that great first album and sounded a lot different in their golden heyday than those early years-Thin Lizzy, UFO, Journey, Deep Purple, Gillan et al.