Next Announcement

For general discussion of all things B.O.A.
houston4044
Denim Demon

Re: Next Announcement

Postby houston4044 » Thu Jan 23, 2020 4:47 pm

bloodfiend wrote:
tbf Gloryhammer were probably too low down in 2016. In terms of power metal they're one of the bigger draws out there, easily sound out a good sized venue in London before Xmas, and there last album got to no.6 in Germany, plus they'd be very popular with the BOA crowd.

Also the Sophie headliners seem a lot less high profile than before, ok much as I hate them, Hatebreed are big enough, but the other 3 certainly aren't, if you consider the headliners the Sophie stage had in 17, 18 and 19.

And to be frank, Vio-lence are ridiculously high up the bill too, when you consider there are band with little to no fanbase here who haven't released an album for 27 years.

Gloryhammer played Heaven which is only a thousand yet Chris' other band Alestorm played larger venues yet got the same spot. Just don't see how Gloryhammer are on the same level.

I'd say Cattle Decapitation are worthy of the Sophie headliner, play similar size venues than other recent headliners. Agree on Bloodywood though, can only think name value/youtube views have gotten the slot.

Vio-lence is a hard one to place though, no history over here but the rarity/debut factor could play into their hands. Until we see the crowd on the day it'll just be down to speculation; either way I'm hyped to see them :D

bloodfiend
Denim Demon

Postby bloodfiend » Thu Jan 23, 2020 10:40 pm

houston4044 wrote:
bloodfiend wrote:

Gloryhammer played Heaven which is only a thousand yet Chris' other band Alestorm played larger venues yet got the same spot. Just don't see how Gloryhammer are on the same level.

Alestorm could realistically have been special guests - if Paradise Lost, Saxon, Powerwolf, At The Gates and Kreator can take the SG slot, then Alestorm certainly could have as well.

Gloryhammer probably aren't as big, but they rammed out Heaven and could have easily played a larger venue. Compared to the other bands this year in the 3rd slot, the justify the position, with Phil Anselmo playing the underworld last time he was here.

someone else
Denim Demon

Postby someone else » Fri Jan 24, 2020 9:23 am

SGs are an odd one - the size of them is all over the place - the likes of BLS have been there and they typically play venues big enough to headline, and while Opeth aren't as big as they were they still played the same venues as Behemoth when they were SG, then you have At The Gates who play quite small venues, Orange Goblin get more people to theirs..
She wanted nothing...and I delivered

http://www.last.fm/user/apm11

houston4044
Denim Demon

Postby houston4044 » Fri Jan 24, 2020 11:55 am

bloodfiend wrote:
Gloryhammer probably aren't as big, but they rammed out Heaven and could have easily played a larger venue. Compared to the other bands this year in the 3rd slot, the justify the position, with Phil Anselmo playing the underworld last time he was here.

Oh I'm not knocking them, just strikes me as odd really. Anselmo only got the slot because of who he is rather than his recent draw (admittedly being advertised as a Pantera set will probably increase his draw quite a bit).

someone else wrote:SGs are an odd one - the size of them is all over the place - the likes of BLS have been there and they typically play venues big enough to headline, and while Opeth aren't as big as they were they still played the same venues as Behemoth when they were SG, then you have At The Gates who play quite small venues, Orange Goblin get more people to theirs..

This is true, also when you look at it like that you can see a trend to a general shrinking size of SG's in general from 2018 onwards :eyes:

Either way, I'm just splitting hairs really. If you like em more power to you, I, on the other hand will have more beer for me at the time :drink:

henryburch4
Powermetal Child

Postby henryburch4 » Fri Jan 24, 2020 8:01 pm

bloodfiend wrote:
houston4044 wrote:
bloodfiend wrote:

dahlia should be 3rd from top :eyes: , okay massive fan boy but also new album early this year which you know is gonna be banging and sold out most dates on last uk tour

varangian
Consort of the Beast

Postby varangian » Tue Jan 28, 2020 8:26 am

What has happened to the look of the forum ?

is this an upgrade or downgrade?

fluffkitten
Paster of Muppets

Postby fluffkitten » Tue Jan 28, 2020 10:03 am

varangian wrote:What has happened to the look of the forum ?

is this an upgrade or downgrade?

Seems back to normal now.
a caffeine addict and known hater of mornings :coffee:

devilman
Lowly Peon

Postby devilman » Wed Jan 29, 2020 10:29 pm

I don't get all the negativity on here. Hoblin Goblin IPA is still on the line up and there will be music too! Might be back at the camp for Black Dahlia Murder but the rest are ok.

CharlesDexterWard
Leather Rebel

Postby CharlesDexterWard » Thu Jan 30, 2020 7:46 am

Thursday night bands being announced today (Source: Vicky via Twitter).
You shall fetch me your universe's ultimate cup of coffee... black.
You have 5 Earth minutes...Make it perfect!

varangian
Consort of the Beast

Postby varangian » Thu Jan 30, 2020 10:05 am

Hobgoblin IPA is definitely a positive

Whilst there is a differential in musical taste on here the grumbling is down to quite a few thoughts that the festival is moving away from it`s audience and more towards a smaller imitation of Download.
The other being the quality of the booking this year

I am definitely loking forward to Priest/Saxon but I do not think I`m the only one, think quite a few will be doing day ticket instead of the weekend

Tet
Denim Demon

Postby Tet » Thu Jan 30, 2020 10:22 am

I know several people that will only be getting a Sunday day ticket. I'm just hoping that because they've put all of the good bands on one day they'll be able to avoid clashes. It's looking like Unleash The Archers will be clashing with someone. Probably Gloryhammer :-(
CH3NO2 -- It's the only way to be sure
You laugh at me because I'm different. I pity you, you're all the same...

CharlesDexterWard
Leather Rebel

Postby CharlesDexterWard » Thu Jan 30, 2020 11:27 am

Nekrogoblikon
The Crawling
Raised By Owls
Last year’s Bournemouth Metal 2 The Masses victors Anakim
You shall fetch me your universe's ultimate cup of coffee... black.
You have 5 Earth minutes...Make it perfect!

fluffkitten
Paster of Muppets

Postby fluffkitten » Thu Jan 30, 2020 11:32 am

The Crawling is the only one of those I don't find to be meh.
a caffeine addict and known hater of mornings :coffee:

bloodfiend
Denim Demon

Postby bloodfiend » Thu Jan 30, 2020 12:20 pm

ha, more shite!

And at the same time, Brutal Assault announce Mercyful Fate!!!

And with that I bought myself a nice fat ticket to Brutal Assault, fuck Bloodstock once again this year.

bloodofthekings
Paster of Muppets

Postby bloodofthekings » Thu Jan 30, 2020 12:35 pm

We don't usually go on the Thursday night unless the line-up is great and whilst I would happily watch the Night Flight Orchestra, the rest of that garbage isn't worth forking out an extra night at the hotel for.