Last Gig/Next Gig Thread

For general discussion of all things metal-related.
gazsetsfire
Consort of the Beast

Re: Last Gig/Next Gig Thread

Postby gazsetsfire » Sat Jan 25, 2020 8:02 pm

Last - Dimmu and Amorphis on Wednesday. Decent gig, same set for Dimmu as from summer, but fine with me, really like their newest album.

Next - Memoriam at the Underworld next Saturday

Czech's Mate
Denim Demon

Postby Czech's Mate » Sat Jan 25, 2020 11:58 pm

Last - Warhorns Winterfest
Next Grilschool
Television is the opium of the people

kanet666 wrote: I can deal with the odd Slipknot track now and then. Pantera on the other hand are dreadful and I'd rather stab myself in the eye with a rusty fork than put up with them.

bloodofthekings
Paster of Muppets

Postby bloodofthekings » Sat Feb 01, 2020 5:42 pm

Last gig - The Wildhearts @ Manchester Ritz

Missed CKY completely due to the early start time and ended up getting there shortly after Backyard Babies started. Try as I might with this band, I just can't get into them. They're not bad, they're just not that good either. Each time I've seen them (which has been supporting a band I've gone to see) they've just been...there. Nothing terrible, but nothing special either.
The Wildhearts however were excellent as has been the case recently with them. Despite Ginger having a cold, they were on top form and knocked out hit after hit. One of the best live bands I've seen consistently in the last few years.

Next gig - Terrorvision @ The Warehouse, Leeds

gazsetsfire
Consort of the Beast

Postby gazsetsfire » Sun Feb 02, 2020 7:35 pm

Last - Memoriam at the Underworld last night. Only about half full but good night. Krysthia were decent and memoriam played a good set, newer stuff was good live. Nice 10 o clock curfew with the club night so was home a bit earlier too which helped as was up for work at 5.20 am

Next - Unearth and Dust bolt in a couple of weeks

Ghost
Hell Bent for Leather

Postby Ghost » Sun Feb 02, 2020 7:42 pm

gazsetsfire wrote:Last - Memoriam at the Underworld last night. Only about half full but good night.

I guess they only played there less than a year ago.
I see the bad moon arising.

bloodfiend
Denim Demon

Postby bloodfiend » Tue Feb 04, 2020 11:53 am

bloodofthekings wrote:Last gig - The Wildhearts @ Manchester Ritz

Missed CKY completely due to the early start time and ended up getting there shortly after Backyard Babies started. Try as I might with this band, I just can't get into them. They're not bad, they're just not that good either. Each time I've seen them (which has been supporting a band I've gone to see) they've just been...there. Nothing terrible, but nothing special either.
The Wildhearts however were excellent as has been the case recently with them. Despite Ginger having a cold, they were on top form and knocked out hit after hit. One of the best live bands I've seen consistently in the last few years.

Next gig - Terrorvision @ The Warehouse, Leeds

Pretty much the same in London, I missed CKY and got their in time for Backyard Babies.

I've seen them a few times, and I can't get into them either, I was expecting a fun and vibrant punk rock gig, but they just sounded knackered and dreary.

The Wildhearts were awesome though, looks like we got a slightly different setlist to you, you got Shitsville and 20 x The Pain, we got Caffiene Bomb and Love U Til I Don't instead. CJ and Danny are looking a bit like old rockers these days, but weirdly Ginger still seems to look the same as he did 20 years ago! Great night.

Next? .....ummmm, Alcest on March 4th I think.

Tet
Denim Demon

Postby Tet » Wed Feb 05, 2020 3:11 pm

Last: Womenowar
Next: Sabaton
CH3NO2 -- It's the only way to be sure
You laugh at me because I'm different. I pity you, you're all the same...

someone else
Denim Demon

Postby someone else » Thu Feb 06, 2020 3:26 pm

Last - Monster Magnet, Forum.
Reasonably full given its a step up in venue, support was bland Planet Rock faves Them Damn Crows - not exactly inspiring given the previous support bands they've had.
MM have long been a favourite, and playing a Powertrip flavoured set meant that it was right back to my teenage years - not all of the album was played, but it was a great set, and despite being 63 Dave Wyndorf is still a consummate cartoon rock star.

Steak, Brothers Keg - Underdog Gallery - free gig for a friends 50th. Brothers Keg were decent at BOA last year, and they've got better. Album finally got a release date for June. Steak maybe archytypal stoner rock, but they barrel through a set of songs with great riffs and hooks.

Next - tribute gig for Heavy Sentence guitarist Mike Woods next week.
She wanted nothing...and I delivered

http://www.last.fm/user/apm11

Czech's Mate
Denim Demon

Postby Czech's Mate » Fri Feb 07, 2020 8:19 pm

Last: Girlschool
Next Fleshgod Apocolypse
Television is the opium of the people

kanet666 wrote: I can deal with the odd Slipknot track now and then. Pantera on the other hand are dreadful and I'd rather stab myself in the eye with a rusty fork than put up with them.

bloodofthekings
Paster of Muppets

Postby bloodofthekings » Sun Feb 09, 2020 9:41 am

Last gig - Terrorvision @ The Warehouse, Leeds
First trip back to this venue since seeing Blaze Bayley play to fewer than 50 people in 2004. Gig was sold out so was pretty sweaty and rammed but a great show nonetheless - Terrorvision were their usual bouncy, energetic selves and they always bring the fun (don't know how that singer keeps up - he's probably 15-20 years older than I am and by the end I'm fighting through aching back, legs and feet to keep upright!). Hopefully this will be the rebirth of the Warehouse hosting rock gigs as this kind of smaller venue has been sorely lacking in Leeds since the Cockpit and Joseph's Well both closed down.

Next gig - Rhapsody of Fire @ Rebellion in Manchester

Methuen
Warrior of Metal

Postby Methuen » Sun Feb 09, 2020 3:25 pm

Last - Delain (Ritz, Manchester)

Absolutely fantastic. One of the best gigs I've been to - the support were good, sortof male-fronted Beyond the Black, but Delain were on fire. It was the release day for their new album, they were clearly impressed with the reception the new songs got, the crowd were incredibly positive - dancing, jumping around, arms & hair flying everywhere. Delain themselves were first rate - Charlotte's vocals were spot on, nice guitar leads, just brilliant all-round. The set-list was well chosen, and the reaction of the crowd clearly surprised them - the roar for 'April Rain' got a 'oh so you remember this then', and after 'The Gathering' there was about two minutes of spontaneous cheering / clapping / general ovation - which caused Charlotte to cry, her voice to crack, and the band to look totally shocked at how well they were going over. Just magic. :D

Next - Rhapsody OV FIRE (Rebellion, Manchester)

Taking the wife for a romantic St Valentine's night out :lol:
Indoor 2005, 2006
BOA 2008, 2018, 2019

bloodofthekings
Paster of Muppets

Postby bloodofthekings » Sat Feb 15, 2020 10:24 am

Last gig - Rhapsody of Fire @ Rebellion in Manchester

Caught both support bands (Collibus and Dendera) who were both instantly forgettable and very bland. Rhapsody of Fire however were on top form and after initially thinking it was going to be a rather sparse crowd, the venue filled up a bit more for ROF (maybe all the late-comers heard the support bands on youtube and decided to stay in the pub - wouldn't blame them) and whilst the venue wasn't full by any means, at least it didn't look empty. Only the second time I'd been here for a gig and whilst I didn't drink the first time, I did last night and won't be making that mistake again - £4 for a can? F*ck that in the future.

Next gig - Grand Magus @ Manchester Academy 3

Methuen
Warrior of Metal

Postby Methuen » Sat Feb 15, 2020 7:09 pm

bloodofthekings wrote:Last gig - Rhapsody of Fire @ Rebellion in Manchester...

I quite liked Dendera - Power Quest / Season's End members doing some proper British pub metal :lol:

Sound was awful for both of the support bands, however.

Rhapsody were fun, and the mrs remembered the words to both Holy Thunderforce AND Emerald Sword :yes:
Indoor 2005, 2006
BOA 2008, 2018, 2019

metaldinosaur
Leather Rebel

Postby metaldinosaur » Sat Feb 15, 2020 7:54 pm

Last - Rhapsody of Fire, Manchester. The supports where ok, they both had talented members, but the songs lacked character for me. As for ROF, Second time seeing them with the new line-up, they were even better this time. I wonder if the Turilli/Lione Rhapsody can match it In April?

Next: Blaze Bayley and Elixir (Burfest) in London.
Welcome to a brave new world/ The future here or haven't you heard?

Black Wizard
Leather Rebel

Postby Black Wizard » Sun Feb 16, 2020 3:51 pm

My last gig (and first of 2020) was Delain at the Ansom Rooms in Bristol last weekend. I managed to watch from the second row which I was nowhere close to when I've seen them in London. The support band - Cyhra - were decent as an opening act as they can put on a fairly entertaining show despite their music being quite insipid. The highlight of their set was when the singer and guitarist got in a bit of a muddle and the singers head nearly got whacked by the bass! Delain were fantastic. The atmosphere was electric throughout their set and Charlotte's singing was mind-blowing - particularly in the chorus for 'Masters of Destiny'! I'm not completely sold on the new album yet but I enjoyed the new songs well enough live and we might have got one extra song that they weren't planning on playing because the crowd was so good.

I liked the venue too and will hopefully manage to see more shows there. It was also the first time I'd had the chance to walk around Bristol and it seems like a good city. Shame about the crappy weather though - thanks Ciara! Each time I've visited Bristol the weather has been crap, so hopefully I can visit in summer next time. At least I managed to find the Hippy Chippy in the city centre though. I did miss it at Bloodstock last year.

Next for me is both of Dream Theater's London shows next Friday and Saturday. I'm super excited about seeing 'Home' played live!