Next Announcement

For general discussion of all things B.O.A.
User avatar
Skippy
Hell Bent for Leather
Posts: 2289
Joined: Wed May 19, 2010 7:12 pm
Location: Somewhere crap

Re: Next Announcement

Postby Skippy » Thu Mar 12, 2020 12:52 pm

bloodfiend wrote:
Skippy wrote:I think Unleash the Archers are about the right kind of band for the sophie stage - pretty big name in certain circles but relatively unknown outside of it.


That kind of logic could be applied to lots of reasonably sized metal bands though.

The simple fact is that it's mental that popular bands like Unleash The Archers and Winterfylleth are mid Sophie stage, and stuff like Savage Master, Svalbard and Conjurer is finding its way onto the main stage.

Oh I agree. But subheadlining the Sophie Stage (the slot it looks like they've got) is probably about where they would be/should be on another year. Its only the terribly small bands they've booked in other slots that makes that seem a problem.

So does anyone expect the festival to get cancelled? What with so many other festivals getting cancelled/scaling back, I wouldn't be shocked if it happens. It might even be a good thing, not to inflict this lineup on the world.
BANDS I LIKE FOR BLOODSTOCK!!!

User avatar
WorMzy
Denim Demon
Posts: 5007
Joined: Sun Aug 19, 2007 4:11 pm
Location: Dundee
Contact:

Re: Next Announcement

Postby WorMzy » Thu Mar 12, 2020 1:36 pm

From what others have described about their twitter account, it seems Vicky will be determined to press ahead regardless, but if bands start pulling out, or Showsec say nay, or the vendors can't get staff to run the stalls... it's hard to see the fest going ahead in that instance.

A lot of people seem to be banking on warmer weather putting a stopper on the spread of this thing... but then you look at places like Sydney, Australia, with current average temperatures of about 25°C and the spread is just as bad there as it is anywhere else.

We're basically waiting for the human immune system to catch up and learn to fight this thing, or Big Pharma to get off their arses and make a vaccine (which they'll then market for $$$ because governments will basically have no choice but to pay whatever price they slap on it...)
"I don't always go to clubs... but when I do, I enter through the ladies room"
~ Adam Jenson

bloodfiend
Denim Demon
Posts: 3321
Joined: Sun Mar 29, 2009 7:30 pm

Re: Next Announcement

Postby bloodfiend » Thu Mar 12, 2020 3:41 pm

WorMzy wrote:From what others have described about their twitter account, it seems Vicky will be determined to press ahead regardless, but if bands start pulling out, or Showsec say nay, or the vendors can't get staff to run the stalls... it's hard to see the fest going ahead in that instance.



Hardly up to her really though is it, if there's a ban on gathering of over 1000 like in some parts of Germany now, it's beyond her control.

Not sure how that would work in terms of bands receiving there desposits fo a cancelled festival, as this is different to the usual reasons.

I gather she books bands years in advance, so thankfully they probably have next years line up already booked, and couldn't reuse this turd of a line up if it got cancelled this year.

User avatar
Skippy
Hell Bent for Leather
Posts: 2289
Joined: Wed May 19, 2010 7:12 pm
Location: Somewhere crap

Re: Next Announcement

Postby Skippy » Thu Mar 12, 2020 4:19 pm

Its hard to imagine the hysteria lasting until August anyway, and the UK government does seem like it wants to carry on business as usual. I imagine by then we'll either be fine or all dead so it won't matter.
BANDS I LIKE FOR BLOODSTOCK!!!

bloodofthekings
Paster of Muppets
Posts: 1913
Joined: Thu Jun 16, 2005 9:38 am
Location: Leeds
Contact:

Re: Next Announcement

Postby bloodofthekings » Fri Mar 13, 2020 7:59 am

So Bloodstock have announced that at the moment, the festival is due to go ahead as planned. But if it does have to be cancelled, customers will have a choice of a refund or to roll their ticket over to next year.

If it does get cancelled, then of course I hope this doesn't hurt the festival's chances of continuing long-term (they're obviously secure enough for next year at least) but personally, I can't say I'd be all that gutted as the line-up (Fri & Sat anyway) is so shockingly poor for me that being able to (hopefully) get a better line-up next year at this year's prices wouldn't be the worst thing in the world.

User avatar
houston4044
Denim Demon
Posts: 4330
Joined: Sun Apr 27, 2014 1:58 pm

Re: Next Announcement

Postby houston4044 » Fri Mar 13, 2020 2:02 pm

Skippy wrote:Its hard to imagine the hysteria lasting until August anyway, and the UK government does seem like it wants to carry on business as usual. I imagine by then we'll either be fine or all dead so it won't matter.


Economically we've got next to no choice but to try and carry on :eyes:

bloodofthekings wrote:So Bloodstock have announced that at the moment, the festival is due to go ahead as planned. But if it does have to be cancelled, customers will have a choice of a refund or to roll their ticket over to next year.

If it does get cancelled, then of course I hope this doesn't hurt the festival's chances of continuing long-term (they're obviously secure enough for next year at least) but personally, I can't say I'd be all that gutted as the line-up (Fri & Sat anyway) is so shockingly poor for me that being able to (hopefully) get a better line-up next year at this year's prices wouldn't be the worst thing in the world.


Can you imagine the shitstorm if it goes ahead but Judas Priest pull out? Bargain basement undercard for nothing :lol:

strangeasangels
Denim Demon
Posts: 3798
Joined: Wed Apr 14, 2004 9:19 pm
Location: Coventry
Contact:

Re: Next Announcement

Postby strangeasangels » Sat Mar 14, 2020 12:59 am

Will probably end up doing this as I now fully expect Mystic Festival, which I am supposed to be going to in June, to be cancelled.

User avatar
houston4044
Denim Demon
Posts: 4330
Joined: Sun Apr 27, 2014 1:58 pm

Re: Next Announcement

Postby houston4044 » Sat Mar 14, 2020 5:30 pm

Wonder if the current situation will alter/defer any band additions. Can see BOA wanting to try and keep any momentum going but wonder if bands will put a hold on any upcoming dates being announced in case they need to pull the plug

bloodofthekings
Paster of Muppets
Posts: 1913
Joined: Thu Jun 16, 2005 9:38 am
Location: Leeds
Contact:

Re: Next Announcement

Postby bloodofthekings » Wed Mar 18, 2020 2:09 pm

With Glastonbury cancelled it's now looking increasingly unlikely that Download will go ahead.

That potentially means that Bloodstock (if it goes ahead) will be full of Download punters using their refunds to go to Bloodstock instead. Plus it will give the organisers a big crowd they don't deserve for this absolute turd of a line-up which will be used as a justification to book an equally terrible line-up for 2021.

User avatar
kernow666
Warrior of Metal
Posts: 101
Joined: Thu Nov 22, 2007 6:13 pm
Location: Cornwall
Contact:

Re: Next Announcement

Postby kernow666 » Wed Mar 18, 2020 7:59 pm

So what’s the deal if the headliners pull out but festival goes ahead

I guess somewhere in the small print it will say lineup subject to change so no refunds
Thrashin is my business & business is good

@kernowdeth

User avatar
Black Wizard
Leather Rebel
Posts: 1469
Joined: Tue Feb 06, 2007 5:47 pm
Location: Reading

Re: Next Announcement

Postby Black Wizard » Wed Mar 18, 2020 8:04 pm

Judas Priest, Saxon and Diamond Head are all "at risk" from this virus. The American bands might not be able to get to Europe for the festivals. I think it's extremely unlikely that Bloodstock will go ahead.

bloodofthekings
Paster of Muppets
Posts: 1913
Joined: Thu Jun 16, 2005 9:38 am
Location: Leeds
Contact:

Re: Next Announcement

Postby bloodofthekings » Wed Mar 18, 2020 8:31 pm

kernow666 wrote:So what’s the deal if the headliners pull out but festival goes ahead

I guess somewhere in the small print it will say lineup subject to change so no refunds


This isn't an issue that only affects the headliners - if they can't make it because of the pandemic then most of the bands won't be able to either.

Cancelling the festival is of course a last resort - but not offering refunds if your big bands pull out (especially with such a bargain bin lineup as this year's) is going to create such bad feeling that you seriously risk affecting your customer retention for future years.

bloodfiend
Denim Demon
Posts: 3321
Joined: Sun Mar 29, 2009 7:30 pm

Re: Next Announcement

Postby bloodfiend » Thu Mar 19, 2020 9:22 am

Black Wizard wrote:Judas Priest, Saxon and Diamond Head are all "at risk" from this virus. The American bands might not be able to get to Europe for the festivals. I think it's extremely unlikely that Bloodstock will go ahead.


We're talking 5 months ahead, things have only gone crazy in the last few weeks.

I think it will have blown over by then, but the main issue will have been that the virus will have majorly impact ticket sales, as no ones buying tickets for anything right now.... along with the horrific line up, this virus will make the fest pretty empty if it goes ahead.

User avatar
houston4044
Denim Demon
Posts: 4330
Joined: Sun Apr 27, 2014 1:58 pm

Re: Next Announcement

Postby houston4044 » Mon Mar 23, 2020 3:00 pm

kernow666 wrote:So what’s the deal if the headliners pull out but festival goes ahead

I guess somewhere in the small print it will say lineup subject to change so no refunds


I believe (though not an expert on the matter) if there is a significant change to the bill refunds have to be offered, as to what quantifies significant I don't know.

bloodfiend wrote:I think it will have blown over by then, but the main issue will have been that the virus will have majorly impact ticket sales, as no ones buying tickets for anything right now.... along with the horrific line up, this virus will make the fest pretty empty if it goes ahead.


I think festivals will be cancelled even if the first wave of this is over by then, if government's are too quick in pulling back restrictions (such as a large festival) it'll just run wildfire again.

If it does go ahead I think BOA will benefit from DL possibly being cancelled, this beat it in 12 weeks idea (which is optimistic) would fall on DL week. Even with a sub par line up it'd be a chance to go to a fest and have some fun after a period of isolation and draw punters who would of gone to DL.

JPMC
Warrior of Metal
Posts: 164
Joined: Sun Jul 27, 2014 6:59 pm

Re: Next Announcement

Postby JPMC » Mon Mar 23, 2020 3:44 pm

A few things I take from this:

Possibly it may go on:
Guns n Roses are due to play Twickenham Stadium soon... not yet cancelled. In fact, GnR played in Mexico on the 15th March, only 7 days ago.

If GnR haven't cancelled, maybe they're gambling on all will be OK by then same as Bloodstock and Download.

Glastonbury takes about a month to build. I would guess that they had to cancel earlier to avoid losing too much on contractors. Download takes 12 days and bloodstock about 7... so comparatively a lot less time. Maybe Glastonbury was more under the gun in terms of having to make a decision whereas Bloodstock and Download are not as much. Pure guess.

Possibility it may not go on:
A lot of people with underlying health issues are getting the advice of isolating for 12 weeks... I'm one of them. I was supposed to have a surveillance appt this week which was cancelled over the phone and immediately followed with this advice. So technically speaking, given Download is 80 days away and 12 weeks is 84 days, that puts it right in the middle of the festival itself (if you actually observe it as 12 full weeks)

Added to that, with pubs and restaurants now closed the talk of an imminent complete lockdown, it seems unlikely that either Download or Bloodstock will be in a position to contravene that with Bloodstock possibly getting away with the fact that it's all the way in August.

Personally I think both festivals are playing the waiting game. We're talking about Judas Priest, Iron Maiden, KISS.. My bet is that there are huge deposits having been paid to these acts. For the festivals to pull out, that would mean a substantial hit for them and potentially for Bloodstock at least a question as to its survival. I would wager both festivals are waiting for the acts themselves to pull the plug.

Given that Guns N Roses have not cancelled anything, I would wager the acts I mentioned aren't about to either likely due to the deposits they may have to repay or the prospect of postponing is still in discussion.

Again looking at the band lineups for both festivals, a lot do not come from the UK. Hence given the travel restriction and whether or not they will still be in place in 12 weeks remains to be seen.

Bloodstock has also not made any new band announcements since February. I would have thought that by now another lot of bands would have been announced. Either they are holding off until they know if the festival is going on or not, or they are struggling to muster up some UK-based acts to fill the slots.

It's all a big question. I somehow can't see Download happening, I do see Bloodstock happening though. Maybe the breweries losing shedloads of cash in the light of all the pubs being closed have a thing or two to do with that.