movies

Put the world to rights here (off-topic discussion)
lars_ulrichs_blister
Denim Demon

Re: movies

Postby lars_ulrichs_blister » Tue Sep 23, 2008 6:32 pm

Just watched The boondock Saints..GREAT STUFF!!
If God is black then he is Samuel L Jackson

ANDREWHALL28
Denim Demon

Postby ANDREWHALL28 » Tue Sep 23, 2008 6:34 pm

Don't Mess With The Zohan- Bloody hilarious, how Adam Sandler hasn't got a jihad placed on him is beyond me, they don't tend to have a sense of humour in the middle east :lol:

MetalBeast
Denim Demon

Postby MetalBeast » Tue Sep 23, 2008 6:47 pm

I saw Pineapple Express last week. It was OK, but not a patch on Superbad or Knocked Up. I'd probably watch it again, but I definitely wouldn't buy the DVD.

I'm looking forward to seeing Tropic Thunder. I'll probably be seeing that on Friday.
All right, so I MADE a mistake! ONE MISTAKE!
Can't a man start over?! Do I have to keep on PAYING?! HUH?!
Maybe I should make another mistake! ...maybe TWO more!

ANDREWHALL28
Denim Demon

Postby ANDREWHALL28 » Tue Sep 23, 2008 8:46 pm

Tropic Thunder is brilliant :yes:

Luscaslayer
Consort of the Beast

Postby Luscaslayer » Wed Sep 24, 2008 8:53 am

BenX - A fantastic, funny, sad, emotional rollercoaster of a film about an autistic boy who tries to understand life through the world of MMORPGs. It's a million times more entertaining than it sounds.

Jar City - A hard-boiled, Icelandic kitchen-sink detective movie with plenty morbid twists and turns and some beautiful cinematography.

Big D
Denim Demon

Postby Big D » Sat Oct 04, 2008 7:55 pm

Just watched on DVD:

Harold And Kumar Escape From Guantanamo Bay

Not as funny as the first one. Or possibly i was too sober.

In The Name of the KIng

Not as shite as you'd expect. Still, a bit clunky in places.

10,000BC

Not as historically accurate as it could have been. Probably a few geographers throwing their popcorn at the screen too. (Seriously. How do you get from Ice Age Europe to the Sahara without getting your feet wet?) Quibbles aside, not bad though.

Darkweasel
Denim Demon

Postby Darkweasel » Sat Oct 04, 2008 8:43 pm

Watched three new horror films in the last few days.

MIRRORS
Keifer Sutherland starts seeing odd things in the mirrors where he works as a nightwatchman. Very spooky, occasionally very bloody (One scene will leave you checking your jaw's okay) with a few decent scares along the way. Certainly good enough for me to want to track down the japanese original. 8/10

P2
A woman working late on Christmas Eve gets held captive by a nutter in the car park below. After a very well executed opening 20 minutes it rapidly runs out of ideas and you're left with a one dimensional female character and the most non scary, stupid and muddled movie psycho ever seen.
5/10

THE MIDNIGHT MEAT TRAIN
Another Clive Barker short story gets the big screen treatment but this one is easily the best since Candyman. People getting on late night subway trains are meeting with rather nasty ends and a photographer tries to put the pieces together.
Creepy, scary and insanely gory, this gets my horror film of the week thumbs up. 8.5/10

Dansiferum
Slayer of Wimps/Posers

Postby Dansiferum » Sat Oct 04, 2008 8:53 pm

Currently watching 'The Core' on 4. seems pretty decent.

MetalBeast
Denim Demon

Postby MetalBeast » Sun Oct 05, 2008 1:52 pm

Darkweasel wrote:THE MIDNIGHT MEAT TRAIN
Another Clive Barker short story gets the big screen treatment but this one is easily the best since Candyman. People getting on late night subway trains are meeting with rather nasty ends and a photographer tries to put the pieces together.
Creepy, scary and insanely gory, this gets my horror film of the week thumbs up. 8.5/10

I'm looking forward to that cos I really enjoyed the original story in the "Books of Blood".
It's getting a theatrical release towards the end of the month, so I'll try to check it out then.
All right, so I MADE a mistake! ONE MISTAKE!
Can't a man start over?! Do I have to keep on PAYING?! HUH?!
Maybe I should make another mistake! ...maybe TWO more!

ANDREWHALL28
Denim Demon

Postby ANDREWHALL28 » Sun Oct 05, 2008 10:18 pm

markt91 wrote:I doubt i'll ever watch Hellboy 2, the first one was awful

I've watched Inside Man and This Is England the last two nights, both very good :yes:

The 2 films don't even compare Hellboy 2 is epic, the makep effects are worth the price of admission :yes:

Darkweasel
Denim Demon

Postby Darkweasel » Mon Oct 06, 2008 12:37 am

ANDREWHALL28 wrote:
markt91 wrote:I doubt i'll ever watch Hellboy 2, the first one was awful

I've watched Inside Man and This Is England the last two nights, both very good :yes:

The 2 films don't even compare Hellboy 2 is epic, the makep effects are worth the price of admission :yes:

I thoroughly enjoyed Hellboy but Hellboy 2 was dreadful. Once you take away the special effects, which as fantastic as they are, a lot of the time they serve no real purpose other than the "ooh", "aah" factor (What exactly was the point of the giant plant monster?), you're just left with a wafer-thin storyline that drags on for far, far too long and the majority of the cast acting on autopilot.
I've watched and loved every GDT film thus far but this is the first one I shook my head at and realised the guy is fallable after all.

I'm also petitioning for David Hyde-Pierce to return as the voice of Abe Sapien. I know Doug Jones physically plays him anyway but his voice is just plain boring!

ANDREWHALL28
Denim Demon

Postby ANDREWHALL28 » Mon Oct 06, 2008 12:59 am

I think we'll agree to disagree on this one, the plant monster was there to put doubt in Hellboy's mind, is he on the side of human kind or the underworld to which he finally decides to become part of, i understood it anyway :lol:

I enjoyed the second one more than the first and still believe it is the better of the 2 movies, the tooth fairies I especially enjoyed, and the comedy elemnts between abe and Hellboy was enjoyable too :yes:

Darkweasel
Denim Demon

Postby Darkweasel » Mon Oct 06, 2008 8:53 am

ANDREWHALL28 wrote:I think we'll agree to disagree on this one, the plant monster was there to put doubt in Hellboy's mind, is he on the side of human kind or the underworld to which he finally decides to become part of, i understood it anyway :lol:

All of which could have been accomplished without yet another drawn out scene designed around showcasing more special effects. Also, with all the deliberate set-ups, all it seemed to do was serve as a prequel for the next instalment.
Agree to disagree for sure. :evillaff:

enchantment
Slayer of Wimps/Posers

Postby enchantment » Mon Oct 06, 2008 10:45 am

Darkweasel wrote:MIRRORS
Keifer Sutherland starts seeing odd things in the mirrors where he works as a nightwatchman. Very spooky, occasionally very bloody (One scene will leave you checking your jaw's okay) with a few decent scares along the way. Certainly good enough for me to want to track down the japanese original. 8/10

LOL, are you serious???? That is one of the worst horror films I've EVER see!!!! I don't know whether they intended it to be as stupid as it is, or they were actually trying to make a serious film, but when I went to see the audience were pissing themselve with laughter all the way through - that film must contain some of the worst lines in the history of cinema!! I cannot believe anyone would actually recommend Mirrors, it's so diabolical it's funny, the only reason i can see anyone watching it is to laugh at how bad it is!

Midnight Meat Train was okay, but nothing mindblowing.

Some good new horror films:

Trailer Park Of Terror - this is coming out on DVD in the next few week - you can buy in on import from Amazon. Redneck hillybilly zombie gorefest, riotus fun all the way - contains such interesting scenes as a guy being turned into human beef jerky and a zombie having his phallus blow off by a land mine....funny, gory and just great fun.

Dance Of The Dead - again this should be out on DVD in the next few weeks, get it from Amazon. Some American high school kids are going to their Prom dance, but unfortunately it's gonna get gate crashed by the undead!!! Kinda like American Pie meets Evil Dead, this film's an awesome laugh.

Autopsy - not exactly sure when this films coming out, I saw it as a film fest, but I'm not sure when the official release is - it's well worth tracking down though cos it's awesome. Some kids have a car crash and have to go to hospital, but unfortunately they end up at a hospital full of sadistic psychopaths who love to carry out gruesome experiments on people! Unlike the other 2 films I mentioned, this isn't an outright comedy, but it does have some very funny moments and it's tongue in cheek all the way. A sadistic gutpuking bloodbath, that has some of the most shocking scenes you see for a long while, but at the same time is a total riot all the way through. It's awesome, go check it out!
Last edited by enchantment on Mon Oct 06, 2008 1:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
genitals of the antichrist

Darkweasel
Denim Demon

Postby Darkweasel » Mon Oct 06, 2008 12:48 pm

enchantment wrote:LOL, are you serious???? That is one of the worst horror films I've EVER see!!!! I don't know whether they intended it to be as stupid as it is, or they were actually trying to make a serious film, but when I went to see the audience were pissing themselve with laughter all the way through - that film must contain some of the worst lines in the history of cinema!! I cannot believe anyone would actually recommend me, it's so diabolical it's funny, the only reason i can see anyone watching it is to laugh at how bad it is!
It was entertaining. Certainly more entertaining than the godawful remakes of The Eye, The Grudge and The Ring. Sure, it's a prepostorous story but so what? Most good horror films come from ludicrous ideas. The ending was too obvious but apart from that it ticked all of the boxes required.
As for worst lines, although the script was never going to win any awards, I've still heard thousands of lines much worse than any in Mirrors in lots of so-called big films.
And as for the audience laughing, well that's one of the reasons I hardly go to the pictures any more. I've heard audiences laughing during Saving Private Ryan, Schindlers List and even Me, Myself and Irene!
For what it was, Mirrors did the job. Nothing more, nothing less.