What has made you happy today

Put the world to rights here (off-topic discussion)
MetalBeast
Denim Demon

Re: What has made you happy today

Postby MetalBeast » Tue Feb 03, 2009 7:27 pm

Made Pork Satay (from scratch, apart from the penang curry paste, which I made last week).

Turned out very well indeed for a first attempt. I'm gonna smash the peanuts up a bit finer next time though...and use roast peanuts rather than buying raw ones and having to roast and remove the seed coatings (the red inner skin, not the shell) myself.
All right, so I MADE a mistake! ONE MISTAKE!
Can't a man start over?! Do I have to keep on PAYING?! HUH?!
Maybe I should make another mistake! ...maybe TWO more!

Ndnd
Denim Demon

Postby Ndnd » Wed Feb 04, 2009 9:59 am

MetalBeast wrote:Made Pork Satay (from scratch, apart from the penang curry paste, which I made last week).

Turned out very well indeed for a first attempt. I'm gonna smash the peanuts up a bit finer next time though...and use roast peanuts rather than buying raw ones and having to roast and remove the seed coatings (the red inner skin, not the shell) myself.

I have never made satay sauce before, I always get it when I order from our takeaway. I once brought a packet in the supermarket and it tasted really chemically. I might have to start reporting your posts as they make me feel hungry.

WHMMHT:
my tacky valentines card has been delivered. We set ourselves a goal to have the most tackiest valentines day ever this year, and I think my card may win :D.

Edit: I'm going to have my first proper dress fitting today :)
Mau Mau
Noodle wrote:Darkweasel, Kim or sig in 3.... 2...

MetalBeast
Denim Demon

Postby MetalBeast » Wed Feb 04, 2009 10:49 am

bellini wrote:I once brought a packet in the supermarket and it tasted really chemically.

I've had Satay at some of the cheaper chinese resaurants that's tasted chemically.
No idea what they did to it, but it tasted kinda "soapy".

clare-l
Denim Demon

Postby clare-l » Wed Feb 04, 2009 10:53 am

Last night was bloody awesome, I went to the theatre and was cultured with my housemates and then I went to the pub and drank with my other mates, and it was silly and I can't quite remember what we did that was so funny but it was!

This morning, however, not so great. Small price to pay for a good night.

AnnihiSlateR
Denim Demon

Postby AnnihiSlateR » Wed Feb 04, 2009 11:27 am

My Girlfriend letting me listen to Traced in Air in the car on the way to college this morning.
Last edited by AnnihiSlateR on Wed Feb 04, 2009 11:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
The Inner Tent is Not Flame Retardant!
http://www.last.fm/user/annihislater18

clare-l
Denim Demon

Postby clare-l » Wed Feb 04, 2009 11:38 am

OH. I forgot. Novembre/Evergrey tour!

Lisa McNally
Rock Society Lead

Postby Lisa McNally » Wed Feb 04, 2009 12:10 pm

clare-l wrote:OH. I forgot. Novembre/Evergrey tour!

Oh I've missed that!!! When is it? That will make me happy too! :D

angel_of_death
Hell Bent for Leather

Postby angel_of_death » Wed Feb 04, 2009 12:51 pm

Got given some 'pure pain' chili paste earlier...I didn't think you could get much hotter than insanity sauce...but this stuff burnt like hell, and made my insides feel like they're gonna melt...so I came back to my desk and ordered two jars! That'll add a kick to my sandwiches!

clare-l
Denim Demon

Postby clare-l » Wed Feb 04, 2009 2:30 pm

dragonmaiden wrote:
clare-l wrote:OH. I forgot. Novembre/Evergrey tour!

Oh I've missed that!!! When is it? That will make me happy too! :D

Not confirmed yet, but Novembre were supposed to be doing Hellhound's Fest which is across Europe and ending in London soonish, but this bit is on the statement about the tour's line-up change (as Novembre are now no longer doing it): "For the fans of Novembre: Don’t worry as we will instead offer you a new chance to see Novembre live this spring! We can hereby announce that Novembre will now team up with Evergrey for a tour in April. Please keep your eyes on the calendar!"

So nothing yet, but the idea makes me very happy!

MetalBeast
Denim Demon

Postby MetalBeast » Wed Feb 04, 2009 2:32 pm

angel_of_death wrote:Got given some 'pure pain' chili paste earlier...I didn't think you could get much hotter than insanity sauce...but this stuff burnt like hell, and made my insides feel like they're gonna melt...so I came back to my desk and ordered two jars! That'll add a kick to my sandwiches!

Does the ingredient list read...

Ingredients: Pain

:lol:

But seriously, I've just looked that stuff up and it's pretty much just Bhut Jolokia chillis and oil, making it just about as hot as you can get a chilli product without resorting to extracts and concentrates.
Last edited by MetalBeast on Wed Feb 04, 2009 2:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Moonburp
Denim Demon

Postby Moonburp » Wed Feb 04, 2009 2:35 pm

MetalBeast wrote:
angel_of_death wrote:Got given some 'pure pain' chili paste earlier...I didn't think you could get much hotter than insanity sauce...but this stuff burnt like hell, and made my insides feel like they're gonna melt...so I came back to my desk and ordered two jars! That'll add a kick to my sandwiches!

Does the ingredient list read...

Ingredients: Pain

:lol:

But seriously, I've just looked that stuff up and it's pretty much just Naga Jolokia chillis and oil, making it just about as hot as you can get a chilli product without resorting to extracts and concentrates.

Marie Sharp's BEWARE habanaro chilli sauce. Its from Belize and i fed a capful to the "will do anything for beer" person last years BOA and he was sick. Its truly dangerous stuff.

MetalBeast
Denim Demon

Postby MetalBeast » Wed Feb 04, 2009 2:47 pm

Moonburp wrote:Marie Sharp's BEWARE habanaro chilli sauce. Its from Belize and i fed a capful to the "will do anything for beer" person last years BOA and he was sick. Its truly dangerous stuff.

You've got to be pretty careful with a lot of chilli products, even some of the relatively mild ones can have undesirable effects if you underestimate just how hot they are and take a big mouthful.

On one occasion at work, me and one of my colleagues were eating Blair's Mega Death* sauce with nice & spicy Nik Naks (using the sauce for dipping) and enjoying the heat and flavour. We were getting more adventurous and putting more and more sauce on each Nik Nak. I took things a step too far by completely coating one of the things in Mega Death Sauce and eating it all at once...I didn't throw up, but I couldn't talk properly for about a quarter of an hour afterwards.

*Blair really should come to some sort of agreement with Dave Mustaine so he can call it Megadeth sauce and have Vic Rattlehead on the bottle.

Finnvitka
Denim Demon

Postby Finnvitka » Wed Feb 04, 2009 7:01 pm

It's very likely I've got a place to live next year AND my mum says she'll pay the deposit, I'm gonna see if I can get my dad to pay some as well :D
tumblr|facebook
[Josh] i fucking love bottom ;_;

ImageImageImage

angel_of_death
Hell Bent for Leather

Postby angel_of_death » Wed Feb 04, 2009 8:12 pm

MetalBeast wrote:
Moonburp wrote:Marie Sharp's BEWARE habanaro chilli sauce. Its from Belize and i fed a capful to the "will do anything for beer" person last years BOA and he was sick. Its truly dangerous stuff.

You've got to be pretty careful with a lot of chilli products, even some of the relatively mild ones can have undesirable effects if you underestimate just how hot they are and take a big mouthful.

On one occasion at work, me and one of my colleagues were eating Blair's Mega Death* sauce with nice & spicy Nik Naks (using the sauce for dipping) and enjoying the heat and flavour. We were getting more adventurous and putting more and more sauce on each Nik Nak. I took things a step too far by completely coating one of the things in Mega Death Sauce and eating it all at once...I didn't throw up, but I couldn't talk properly for about a quarter of an hour afterwards.

*Blair really should come to some sort of agreement with Dave Mustaine so he can call it Megadeth sauce and have Vic Rattlehead on the bottle.

Haven't tried any of the blairs ones, but they've been on my to do list for a while! My flatmate threw up from eating too much insanity sauce...he said it wasn't pleasant! :lol:

MetalBeast
Denim Demon

Postby MetalBeast » Wed Feb 04, 2009 9:51 pm

angel_of_death wrote:Haven't tried any of the blairs ones, but they've been on my to do list for a while! My flatmate threw up from eating too much insanity sauce...he said it wasn't pleasant! :lol:

I haven't had the misfortune of throwing up after eating very hot chilli sauces (yet), but I imagine the burn on the way back up would be horrendous.