movies

Put the world to rights here (off-topic discussion)
Darkweasel
Denim Demon

Re: movies

Postby Darkweasel » Mon Mar 30, 2009 12:26 pm

J_rock wrote:Has anyone seen Quarantine yet?
Is it worth it?
Rec is a pretty cool film, I don't want to watch it being ruined!

Go back a few pages. I actually thought it was one of a miniscule few remakes better than the original. Not vastly, but for once the americans actually added to the original in a positive way rather than doing the usual hatchet job.

On topic, I recently watched Bad Biology....wow, just wow.

Bad Biology is awesomeness in the most fucked up way. Bought it the other day. Only costs £6.

Watched The Stepfather again last night. One of my favourite psycho thrillers from the 80s. Terry O'Quinn became one of my favourite actors because of his performance in this film. The music score is the only thing which lets it down, being a little too "TV movie" in places but it's still a fantastic film which should never be remade.

So it's been remade. :x

Darkweasel
Denim Demon

Postby Darkweasel » Tue Mar 31, 2009 11:30 am

Død snø
(Dead Snow)

Without doubt the best Norwegian Nazi zombie film ever. Scary, creepy, funny, genre referential and stupidly gory.
Not completely perfect (it started to go a bit daft near the end) but as good a zombie flick as I've seen since Shaun of the Dead.
Marvellous.
8/10

Jappy
Lowly Peon

Postby Jappy » Wed Apr 01, 2009 3:46 pm

Darkweasel wrote:
On topic, I recently watched Bad Biology....wow, just wow.

Bad Biology is awesomeness in the most fucked up way. Bought it the other day. Only costs £6.

Words can't describe just how funny Bad Biology is. The last few seconds killed me. Very bad film, but too funny.
Watched "Krug and Company" today. The alternate cut of last house on the left.
Not a huge difference from the uncut last house. Not that I expected it to be. Only one part I didn't really recognise from my Dutch import. I need to buy a betamax tape player to watch my pre-cert video.

Has anyone seen August undergrounds Mordum? I have ordered a fully signed copy and I am fairly looking forward to watching it.

Ndnd
Denim Demon

Postby Ndnd » Wed Apr 01, 2009 4:55 pm

The other night I watched no country for old men.
I found it hard to follow as there was alot of talking and It's not the sort of thing I would have chosen on my own.

I watched the Watchmen the other night and enjoyed it.
Mau Mau
Noodle wrote:Darkweasel, Kim or sig in 3.... 2...

Jappy
Lowly Peon

Postby Jappy » Wed Apr 01, 2009 6:37 pm

it is pretty shocking that you said no country for old men was hard to follow because of all the talking, and in the same post said the watchmen was a good movie.

I can understand why someone would dislike no country for old men, even though I find it to be a masterpiece. But watchmen was awful. The characters were pretty awful. The blue guy could basically do what he wanted, why not just remove the whole of Russia? eliminate them all. He did it in Vietnam. And the fact he was naked the whole film was pretty daft. It was too long. The only redeemable parts of the film were the death scenes. It might have been a bit more interesting if I had red the graphic novel first.

angel_of_death
Hell Bent for Leather

Postby angel_of_death » Wed Apr 01, 2009 8:31 pm

Just saw Knowing. First half hour showed promise...then it fell into absurdity, and surprise, surprise: ALIENS.

bloodfiend
Hell Bent for Leather

Postby bloodfiend » Thu Apr 02, 2009 3:49 pm

Watched Repo! The Genetic Opera last night, the missus loved it, but I wasn't so keen, bit of a Rocky Horror wannabe with crap songs.

Malefic
Consort of the Beast

Postby Malefic » Thu Apr 02, 2009 8:26 pm

bloodfiend wrote:Watched Repo! The Genetic Opera last night, the missus loved it, but I wasn't so keen, bit of a Rocky Horror wannabe with crap songs.

I didn't mind that really, once you got over the fact it was all singing I enjoyed it. I found the little kid in it annoying as piss though, even worse than Paris Hilton, which is saying a lot :lol:

Last film I saw on the pics was Bronson, biopic of Charles Bronson, the prisoner that is and not the actor haha. Was really good, came across a lot more arty than you'd expect from the subject matter, gives a really balanced view of his life without being overly sympathetic/critical.

Currently waiting for the Mexican Dracula to download and also 3 Dev Adam, which is basically Turkish Captain America and a Mexican wrestler Vs. Turkish Spider-man.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/3_Dev_Adam

Ah, I do love crappy rip-off films, Ninja Terminator is one of my all-time faves.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-SLsA_Opybw

Genius :yes:

logandog1
Knight of the Eemerald Svord

Postby logandog1 » Fri Apr 03, 2009 4:45 pm

Watched ' The House of Wax ' last night
I do love those old horrors
Mary had a little lamb its fleece was coloured red
The reason for the colouring was the axe stuck in its head

Kami
Leather Rebel

Postby Kami » Fri Apr 03, 2009 5:04 pm

Darkweasel wrote:Død snø
(Dead Snow)

Without doubt the best Norwegian Nazi zombie film ever. Scary, creepy, funny, genre referential and stupidly gory.
Not completely perfect (it started to go a bit daft near the end) but as good a zombie flick as I've seen since Shaun of the Dead.
Marvellous.
8/10

^^^^
What he said. Watched this last night and it was great. Not sure about the slut fucking the fat guy what he was having a shit though, that was rather odd...
I'm running 1000km (6 Marathons, 26 Half Marathons & 20 10ks) this year so sponsor me ya bastards!

RedTeamWins
Denim Demon

Postby RedTeamWins » Fri Apr 03, 2009 7:10 pm

Just finished watching 'how high'.
Oh I do like weed related comedy shenanigans.

Darkweasel
Denim Demon

Postby Darkweasel » Fri Apr 03, 2009 7:52 pm

logandog1 wrote:Watched ' The House of Wax ' last night
I do love those old horrors

Paris Hilton didn't look that old...

RED SANDS.

Soldiers stranded in the Iraqi desert start seeing things, and eventually start killing each other, when they destroy an old statue of a Djinn.
It could have been interesting if it hadn't been so completely and utterly boring. For the first 45 minutes of the film, virtually nothing happened, and by the time it started to actually build up a little bit of momentum it was far too late, my interest had all but disappeared and I just wanted the whole thing to finish as quickly as possible.
The shabby CGI didn't help matters either.

3/10.

Darkweasel
Denim Demon

Postby Darkweasel » Mon Apr 06, 2009 12:23 am

ROVDYR
(Manhunt)

It's really quite alarming how quickly you can get desensitised. If I'd seen this film just a couple of years ago it would have very likely shocked me, but since then I've watched Haute Tension, Frontiers and Martyrs...

Rovdyr is pretty unrelenting from the off. A girl gets offed in a teaser sequence before introducing the four or five slabs of walking meat ready for slicing and dicing.
It's set in 1974 for probably no other reasons than to be able to dispense with the scourge of the modern horror film - The "I can't get a signal on my cellphone"! scene, and also being able to use the music from the original Last House on the Left movie over the opening credits.

One thing, which can be seen as either a plus or a minus, is the complete absence of a story. Nothing whatsoever.
Kids go into woods. Kids get hunted. Kids die.
Still, it kills an hour and a quarter quite nicely if you fancy something a bit violent.

7/10

Turbo
Denim Demon

Postby Turbo » Mon Apr 06, 2009 8:02 pm

Darkweasel wrote:Død snø
(Dead Snow)

Marvellous.
8/10

Im going to 'acquire' that, because I love daft shit and im a stealing cunt. brb.

bloodfiend
Hell Bent for Leather

Postby bloodfiend » Mon Apr 06, 2009 8:40 pm

Darkweasel wrote:It's really quite alarming how quickly you can get desensitised. If I'd seen this film just a couple of years ago it would have very likely shocked me, but since then I've watched Haute Tension, Frontiers and Martyrs...

Have you seen Inside as well? imo it's a thousand times more shocking than those 3 films.

Darkweasel wrote:ROVDYR
(Manhunt)

It's set in 1974 for probably no other reasons than to be able to dispense with the scourge of the modern horror film - The "I can't get a signal on my cellphone"! scene, and also being able to use the music from the original Last House on the Left movie over the opening credits.

lol, I was actually at the UK premiere of that, and afterwards someone asked the director why he set it in the 70s, and he said exactly that, so he didn't have to include the "shit no signal on my phone" scene!

Wasn't that keen on Manhunt to be honest, if you haven't already check out a Spanish film called King Of The Hill, it's a similar kinda thing, but much better imo.