The Book thread

Put the world to rights here (off-topic discussion)
Amelia
Consort of the Beast

Re: The Book thread

Postby Amelia » Sun Jan 03, 2010 4:12 am

Littlemissmetal wrote:
caleb wrote:
NightEyes wrote:Robert Jordan and Brandon Sanderson - Book Twelve of The Wheel of Time - The Gathering Storm

Really want to get this, but only on book 2 of the series, & I believe they start to go downhill in the later books. Would it be cheating too much to skip books 3 to 11?

If you do that I guarantee you will not understand a word of what is going on.

Mind you, I only just grasped it having read 3 to 11. I'm waiting for it to be released in paperback, purely because its one of those series' that I will read to the end, so I know the end, and then never read again, because I've read it all for perseverance sake rather than enjoyment - 7 onwards were just dire :rolleyes:

that man needs to learn how to wrap up a story. the length of that series is just ridiculous. I've only read a few of them because I realized how long it was and that I would never be motivated enough to read them to the end and that i'd read some of them out of order and that I'm probably irreversibly confused.

NightEyes
Slayer of Wimps/Posers

Postby NightEyes » Sun Jan 03, 2010 6:01 pm

caleb wrote:
NightEyes wrote:Robert Jordan and Brandon Sanderson - Book Twelve of The Wheel of Time - The Gathering Storm

Really want to get this, but only on book 2 of the series, & I believe they start to go downhill in the later books. Would it be cheating too much to skip books 3 to 11?

There is no point cheating on 'TWOT' as their are so many characters, events, places involved its confusing enough to those that have read them all many times. Like LittleMissMetal it took determination to just get though some of the books, 4,5,6 (If I am remember what happened in those woefully dull books) took me months to read. I just want closure! After 11 books it was just getting good.

gumpy87
Denim Demon

Postby gumpy87 » Sun Jan 03, 2010 6:52 pm

the new wheel of time book is one of the best in the series and for a TWOT book lots of things happen, the only thing wrong with it was i read it too quickly and now have to wait another year untill finding out what happens next

also if you really want to you could probably skip book 10 of the series as nothing happens but you have to read all of the others to have any idea whats going on
By this axe I rule

ribbons69
Denim Demon

Postby ribbons69 » Sun Jan 03, 2010 8:40 pm

Darkweasel wrote:Stephen King - Under the Dome
Very long but very good so far.

Started reading it this afternoon,already on page 150.Cracking stuff so far.I've always been a King fan,I have every novel in one form or another on my living room bookshelves,and he seems to be on form of late.I enjoyed Duma Key,but then Lisey's Story still sits unread on the shelf,I think it's been there since the hardback came out!
Tom G Warrior wrote:I’ve seen Andrew Eldritch in an ice hockey shirt onstage, and I’ve given him the benefit of the doubt,

we fall to rise

ROBL678
Warrior of Metal

Postby ROBL678 » Sun Jan 03, 2010 10:04 pm

Was given "I am Ozzy" as a late Christmas present by my Older Brother, aswell as finally getting round to reserving Elizabeth Kostova - The Swan Thieves. If its as good as her previous work "The Historian" I expect it'll be read by the first week of February.

Amelia
Consort of the Beast

Postby Amelia » Sun Jan 03, 2010 10:29 pm

ROBL678 wrote:Was given "I am Ozzy" as a late Christmas present by my Older Brother, aswell as finally getting round to reserving Elizabeth Kostova - The Swan Thieves. If its as good as her previous work "The Historian" I expect it'll be read by the first week of February.

oh shit! she has another book?! i need to get that. :D

jackcake
Denim Demon

Postby jackcake » Mon Jan 04, 2010 12:00 am

I've just started The Book Thief, by Markus Zusak. Only 60-odd pages in so far but it seems like a good account of Nazi Germany through the eyes of Death and a ten-year-old girl.
Sarchasm: The gulf between the author of sarcastic wit and the person who doesn't get it.

Last.fm

Logeli
Lowly Peon

Postby Logeli » Mon Jan 04, 2010 1:27 pm

Orcs: Bad Blood II - Army of Shadows by Stan Nicholls

Darkweasel
Denim Demon

Postby Darkweasel » Mon Jan 04, 2010 2:48 pm

ribbons69 wrote:
Darkweasel wrote:Stephen King - Under the Dome
Very long but very good so far.

Started reading it this afternoon,already on page 150.Cracking stuff so far.I've always been a King fan,I have every novel in one form or another on my living room bookshelves,and he seems to be on form of late.I enjoyed Duma Key,but then Lisey's Story still sits unread on the shelf,I think it's been there since the hardback came out!

I love Duma Key, it's his best book for a lot of years.
Lisey's Story was shite. I couldn't even be arsed to finish it. Half of it takes place in a fantasy dreamworld and manages to go nowhere in reverse.

Deli Kate
Leather Rebel

Postby Deli Kate » Mon Jan 04, 2010 9:19 pm

jackcake wrote:I've just started The Book Thief, by Markus Zusak. Only 60-odd pages in so far but it seems like a good account of Nazi Germany through the eyes of Death and a ten-year-old girl.

It made me cry.
Fantastic writing.
Kate
10" of Awesomeness and a latte...

@DeliKate_events

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GpjsgPDM4t8

MetalBeast
Denim Demon

Postby MetalBeast » Mon Jan 04, 2010 9:25 pm

ROBL678 wrote:Was given "I am Ozzy" as a late Christmas present by my Older Brother, aswell as finally getting round to reserving Elizabeth Kostova - The Swan Thieves. If its as good as her previous work "The Historian" I expect it'll be read by the first week of February.

I would have bought the Audiobook of "I am Ozzy" if it was Ozzy reading it and not Frank Skinner.

The Copy of "Bounder" (Graham McCann's biography of Terry Thomas) that I got in the sales shipped today.

All right, so I MADE a mistake! ONE MISTAKE!
Can't a man start over?! Do I have to keep on PAYING?! HUH?!
Maybe I should make another mistake! ...maybe TWO more!

Manadh
Hell Bent for Leather

Postby Manadh » Mon Jan 04, 2010 11:26 pm

I've almost finished the Robin Hobb book *sniff*
I don't want it to end!
However, I've got a Robert Rankin book to read next, and he normally makes me laugh

Big D
Denim Demon

Postby Big D » Tue Jan 05, 2010 6:20 pm

Just started - Kelley Armstrong - Personal Demon.

Littlemissmetal
Denim Demon

Postby Littlemissmetal » Wed Jan 06, 2010 7:39 pm

The Witching Hour - Anne Rice

EDIT: Just have up on it. My word, Ms Rice has issues :o
Last edited by Littlemissmetal on Mon Jan 11, 2010 10:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
http://www.facebook.com/LittleMissMetal
http://http://knightofdrosdelnoch.tumblr.com/

Smindas wrote:Kick him in the shins. With knifey shoes.

Bisset wrote:I'd rather slap my balls with a cheese grater.

Words are our most inexhaustible source of magic

black_rose
Leather Rebel

Postby black_rose » Thu Jan 07, 2010 2:22 am

Recently finished The Name of the Wind by Patrick Rothfuss... absolutely brilliant book, I actually couldn't put it down. Can't wait for book 2 to come out. Also, best blurb in the world:

"I have stolen princesses back from sleeping barrow kings. I burned down the town of Trebon. I have spent the night with Felurian and left with both my sanity and my life. I was expelled from the University at a younger age than most people are allowed in. I tread paths by moonlight that others fear to speak of during day. I have talked to Gods, loved women, and written songs that make the minstrels weep.

You may have heard of me."
Maybe I am just the road, dreaming that I walk