The Relationships Thread

Put the world to rights here (off-topic discussion)
herzeleid
Denim Demon

Re: The Relationships Thread

Postby herzeleid » Fri Jan 29, 2010 11:41 am

Smindas wrote:Great song, but not really relevant unless you're talking about a 'Chasing Amy' style situation ;P

Ugh that film. I like Kevin Smith and all, but his script in that really does suck a massive huge wang.

clare-l
Denim Demon

Postby clare-l » Fri Jan 29, 2010 12:00 pm

Smindas wrote:
ANDREWHALL28 wrote:Just seen 500 days of Summer, pretty much summed up my views on relationships, why bother, you're going to end up miserable and heart broken :(

That's not quite the point of the film. The ending sort of implied that things may go tits up, but something else will come along in a matter of a time.

Agreed with Sam! the boyfriend watched the film after I told him too and he said it was really depressing that after all that time it never worked out. I took it totally differently, absolutely no reason to ever give up.

ANDREWHALL28
Denim Demon

Postby ANDREWHALL28 » Fri Jan 29, 2010 12:35 pm

clare-l wrote:
Smindas wrote:
ANDREWHALL28 wrote:Just seen 500 days of Summer, pretty much summed up my views on relationships, why bother, you're going to end up miserable and heart broken :(

That's not quite the point of the film. The ending sort of implied that things may go tits up, but something else will come along in a matter of a time.

Agreed with Sam! the boyfriend watched the film after I told him too and he said it was really depressing that after all that time it never worked out. I took it totally differently, absolutely no reason to ever give up.

More proof that women think totally different to men :|

MentalInfestation
Hell Bent for Leather

Postby MentalInfestation » Fri Jan 29, 2010 2:04 pm

Smindas wrote:Great song, but not really relevant unless you're talking about a 'Chasing Amy' style situation ;P

I've not seen that either :| No swords or blood or epicness or politicalness and I'm usually not interested.

Romantic films are defo a no no for me. Not really a Kevin Smith fan either, other than Dogma which was awesome.
Is no longer using this forum. Adios, off to pastures new with some "grown ups" and less egos :)

Smindas
Denim Demon

Postby Smindas » Fri Jan 29, 2010 3:44 pm

ANDREWHALL28 wrote:
clare-l wrote:
Smindas wrote:That's not quite the point of the film. The ending sort of implied that things may go tits up, but something else will come along in a matter of a time.

More proof that women think totally different to men :|

Not really proof when I'm a man and I thought completely different to you, is it? No, no it isn't.

herzeleid wrote:

Ugh that film. I like Kevin Smith and all, but his script in that really does suck a massive huge wang.

I really liked 'Chasing Amy'. The script was a bit... hilariously stupid when it came to the sexual dialogue, but that's pretty standard with Kevin Smith films. Different folks / strokes, eh?

herzeleid
Denim Demon

Postby herzeleid » Fri Jan 29, 2010 3:45 pm

Not that it was stupid, it's just so phony. People don't talk like that in real life. Those precise rants that insist upon themselves so disgustingly. I like some of his other films, Dogma and Strike Back mostly, but I digress...

Smindas
Denim Demon

Postby Smindas » Fri Jan 29, 2010 3:51 pm

Ah, yeah, unnatural dialogue is a hallmark of all the Kevin Smith films set in that 'universe', really. Whilst people don't actually speak like that, I've always enjoyed the dialogue. You should probably never watch Clerks if that bothered you in Chasing Amy. Although, the general misanthropy of Clerks may even things out for you, I don't know.

herzeleid
Denim Demon

Postby herzeleid » Fri Jan 29, 2010 4:04 pm

Smindas wrote:Ah, yeah, unnatural dialogue is a hallmark of all the Kevin Smith films set in that 'universe', really. Whilst people don't actually speak like that, I've always enjoyed the dialogue. You should probably never watch Clerks if that bothered you in Chasing Amy. Although, the general misanthropy of Clerks may even things out for you, I don't know.

I've seen all of Smith's films (apart from Jersey girl) Clerks had the same thing, except there were a few instances where there was some poor English within its long rants, I suppose he was younger.

Anyway, didn't care for it all that much to be honest, the second one was alright but had some reeeeally annoying shit in it as well. Mallrats is decent also.

Smindas
Denim Demon

Postby Smindas » Fri Jan 29, 2010 4:07 pm

Fair enough, clearly not to your tastes. 'Jersey Girl' isn't worth watching. At all.

herzeleid
Denim Demon

Postby herzeleid » Fri Jan 29, 2010 4:11 pm

Smindas wrote:Fair enough, clearly not to your tastes. 'Jersey Girl' isn't worth watching. At all.

:lol: I know assumption is wrong, but I had to in that case. Also, Kevin Smith is really fat and has an alright wife.

Smindas
Denim Demon

Postby Smindas » Fri Jan 29, 2010 4:14 pm

Not only is he really fat, but he has often sported the most horrendous mullet known to man (completely short on top, complete with huge monk style bald spot and then a long pony tail at the back). Having said that, his wife is the kind of woman who's attractive from a distance but upon actually seeing her...

herzeleid
Denim Demon

Postby herzeleid » Fri Jan 29, 2010 4:15 pm

Smindas wrote:Not only is he really fat, but he has often sported the most horrendous mullet known to man (completely short on top, complete with huge monk style bald spot and then a long pony tail at the back). Having said that, his wife is the kind of woman who's attractive from a distance but upon actually seeing her...

Very true, but you'd expect his wife to be 'nobody' really.

Nantha
Denim Demon

Postby Nantha » Fri Jan 29, 2010 4:16 pm

The guy im supposedly 'seeing' asked me to this club tonight but told me last night to 'dress practically' and that we'd have to be 'subtle' because hes bringing a lot of his girl mates who he told he wasn't ready for relationships or something (but its blatantly just because they fancy him)... anyway...... If anyone knows me at all, I don't do subtle, I dont dress practically and I'm very very proud. :lol:
Im gonna go out tonight and look hotter and sluttier than ever, he can go screw.

Smindas
Denim Demon

Postby Smindas » Fri Jan 29, 2010 4:18 pm

herzeleid wrote:
Smindas wrote:Not only is he really fat, but he has often sported the most horrendous mullet known to man (completely short on top, complete with huge monk style bald spot and then a long pony tail at the back). Having said that, his wife is the kind of woman who's attractive from a distance but upon actually seeing her...

Yeah, for a fat comic book nerd who makes films that are pretty much never accepted by the mainstream, he's done very well for himself.

EDIT: Apparently I don't know the difference between 'except' and 'accept'
Last edited by Smindas on Fri Jan 29, 2010 4:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

herzeleid
Denim Demon

Postby herzeleid » Fri Jan 29, 2010 4:21 pm

Smindas wrote:
herzeleid wrote:

Yeah, for a fat comic book nerd who makes films that are pretty much never excepted by the mainstream, he's done very well for himself.

He surely has, he's an example to losers everywhere, a noble spirit embiggens the smallest man.