movies

Put the world to rights here (off-topic discussion)
Freakshow Nightmare
Slayer of Wimps/Posers

Re: movies

Postby Freakshow Nightmare » Thu Feb 04, 2010 8:23 am

some_thing_wild wrote:I still havnt seen Avatar yet..and actually have no desire to =/ Think im gonna have to though just because of the hype.

Same, though I really can't be bothered with space-pocahontas. I do get rather castigated for my lack of film knowledge though. I only watched Battle Royale for the first time last weekend.
"Reign of terror, on the seas,
will bring these posers to their knees"

Jim
Denim Demon

Postby Jim » Thu Feb 04, 2010 9:18 am

The storyline doesn't live up to the hype at all - it is Pocahontas in Space.

But the visuals in 3D are something to behold. The film has the same impact Terminator 2 did when it first came out, if not more.

I recommend it as a way of updating yourself on how far technology has come, and for the gimmick of seeing the movie in 3D.

It's not split-colour, either. Your glasses as are the same colour on both lenses, and are just a bit like polarised sunglasses really. Without them, the movie is still in full colour but a bit blurred (unless you go see the 2D version).

It certainly isn't what I expected.
Who the hell reads anything in sigs these days, unless it's an animated gif?

aaron_stacey
Leather Rebel

Postby aaron_stacey » Thu Feb 04, 2010 4:53 pm

watching the unborn because it was cheap in HMV. bit of a naff film but after all these horror's ive watched i cant help but think if i started seeing ghosts like this id go straight to a shrink. Mainly becasue i'd think i was suffering a mental condition :lol:
"let us ponder on the meaning of life" "no no no holy fuck no!"

Applecore
Denim Demon

Postby Applecore » Thu Feb 04, 2010 6:54 pm

Lovefilm rentals arrived today:
Hellraiser 3: Hell on Earth
Dead & Buried

Also bought Transformers 2 (I know, I know) for a fiver!
And I need to watch the rest of Mad Max 2 and Beyond Thunderdome..
Buy me a beer at:
8-11/8 - Bloodstock

Prometherion91
Denim Demon

Postby Prometherion91 » Thu Feb 04, 2010 7:45 pm

Guillermo del Toro is fucking awesome.
Womble wrote:Petri isn't fat. He's just ribbed for her pleasure.

Darkweasel
Denim Demon

Postby Darkweasel » Thu Feb 04, 2010 7:52 pm

Applecore wrote:Lovefilm rentals arrived today:
Dead & Buried

Just bought the Hellraiser box set the other day. Tons of extras on each disc.
Dead and Buried is a good film but it does start to feel like a stretched out Twilight Zone episode after a while.

Applecore
Denim Demon

Postby Applecore » Thu Feb 04, 2010 8:29 pm

Darkweasel wrote:
Dead & Buried

Dead and Buried is a good film but it does start to feel like a stretched out Twilight Zone episode after a while.

I've seen Hellraiser 3 more times than I can remember, but I always like to watch it if only for the nightclub scene and the rest of the movie from that point.
Buy me a beer at:
8-11/8 - Bloodstock

Luke_X
Denim Demon

Postby Luke_X » Thu Feb 04, 2010 8:45 pm

Applecore wrote:
Darkweasel wrote:
Dead & Buried

I've seen Hellraiser 3 more times than I can remember, but I always like to watch it if only for the nightclub scene and the rest of the movie from that point.

all of the Hellraiser films are good, but ive only seen up to #6 its hard to find the other ones. im dreading the remake coming out. im hoping it wont be another Friday the 13th/Nightmare on Elm Street poor attempt to shock people. anyone else heard about the next Scream trilogy (4 to 6) ?

lars_ulrichs_blister
Denim Demon

Postby lars_ulrichs_blister » Thu Feb 04, 2010 8:50 pm

got 3 old horror movies for 99p in the charidee shop today. They are

Little Shop Of Horrors - Jack Nicholson
The Bat - Vincent Price
Bride Of the Monster - Bela Lugosi

All on the same disc as well :D

now see the WPMOT thread....
If God is black then he is Samuel L Jackson

Soze
Denim Demon

Postby Soze » Thu Feb 04, 2010 10:00 pm

Luke_X wrote:all of the Hellraiser films are good, but ive only seen up to #6 its hard to find the other ones. im dreading the remake coming out. im hoping it wont be another Friday the 13th/Nightmare on Elm Street poor attempt to shock people. anyone else heard about the next Scream trilogy (4 to 6) ?

Have there been reviews for the Elm Street remake? The trailer looked like it would be a shoot by shoot remake of the original which seems a bit pointless. Both Nightmare and Hellraiser were excellent films that suffered with poor sequels IMO...many of them are watchable but often for the wrong reasons. By eps 2 the Nightmare franchise was more of a black comedy than a horror film.

Luke_X
Denim Demon

Postby Luke_X » Fri Feb 05, 2010 1:17 am

Soze wrote:
Luke_X wrote:all of the Hellraiser films are good, but ive only seen up to #6 its hard to find the other ones. im dreading the remake coming out. im hoping it wont be another Friday the 13th/Nightmare on Elm Street poor attempt to shock people. anyone else heard about the next Scream trilogy (4 to 6) ?

Have there been reviews for the Elm Street remake? The trailer looked like it would be a shoot by shoot remake of the original which seems a bit pointless. Both Nightmare and Hellraiser were excellent films that suffered with poor sequels IMO...many of them are watchable but often for the wrong reasons. By eps 2 the Nightmare franchise was more of a black comedy than a horror film.

from what ive read, the initial test screenings werent very good so whether they re-edit it for theatrical release i dont know. the trailer didnt impress me much because im so used to seeing Robert Englund as Freddy. the new mask doesnt look very scary in my mind, it looks more like the one used in the final Nightmare film (the one where reality and the film somehow become one). i never really like the original Friday the 13th films because the stories didnt really pack a punch to keep me watching long enough or at least keep some concentration.

i think most people will agree that Nightmare 2 was a pretty terrible film, and ia gree they turned to the more darker comedy which was a shame really but it kinda had a novelty to it. Hellraiser 1 & 2 looked more like they were made together although there were some years between them. 3 & 4 tried to explain who characters were, but i thought 5 was pretty good at showing you how the Cenobites mess with your mind and torture you. i wasnt expaecting some of the twists until the end. i dont know if Doug Bradley will be 'Pinhead' again but then i dont know if they are waiting for Clive Barker to release the next book to kill the character off and give him a name.

The story centers on two characters Barker has used in his previous work. The first is the private investigator Harry D'Amour, a character seen in several previous stories. The second, Harry's adversary in The Scarlet Gospels, is known only as Pinhead (Note: the head Cenobite has actually never been officially named, but will be referred to as "Pinhead" in the rest of this article for ease), leader of the Cenobites, a pseudo-priestly order in Hell devoted to exploring pain and pleasure - at least, pleasure as they themselves define it. The first meeting between these two characters actually occurs in the past, when Harry is twelve or thirteen years old and in Catholic school, and this encounter with Pinhead is said to be a prime cause in Harry's later disturbed demeanor.

In the present day, a friend of Harry's is taken hostage by Pinhead, and Harry, accompanied by four mismatched companions (including the blind medium Norma Paine, who has appeared in earlier Barker stories) and an animal, must track his friend down into the lowest levels of Hell. Roughly two thirds of the story will take place in Hell itself, and much is expected to be learned about the nature of Hell, its creator, its inhabitants, about the Order of Cenobites and Pinhead's place within.

# Pinhead will be given a genuine Cenobitic name in the story. This is significant since the character was never officially named in any story, nor were any other Cenobite characters. Pinhead was identified only as the "Lead Cenobite" in the first film, and in subsequent films the name "Pinhead" has been used as a placeholder.

# Barker will not be following the continuity established in the Hellraiser sequel films.

i suppose its a good thing in a way because they story has become a little watered down and hopefully Barker will recover his former glory and write a killer novel.

Darkweasel
Denim Demon

Postby Darkweasel » Mon Feb 08, 2010 9:30 am

THE COLLECTOR

A simple "what if"? situation - in this case, what if a thief breaks into a house only to find someone more dangerous than him inside? - veers quickly into Saw territory with a splash of The People Under the Stairs thrown in for good measure.
The traps are far less elaborate than in the Saw series, designed for quick and effective despatching, but result in the same bloody outcome nonetheless.
It's obvious that it's meagre budget went mainly on splatter rather than acting lessons or the script but once you get a slow and pretty rubbish first twenty five minutes out of the way, the remaining hour is quite enjoyable.
Bear traps, hooks, acid, and in one nasty little scene, cockroaches, are all put to good gory use, with only the ending letting the side down a bit (aswell as leaving it wide open). However, for all it's faults (lapses in logic and some suspension of disbelief is required), and as gory and twisted as it is, it's still got more heart to it than any of the Saw or Hostel films.
6.5/10

RedTeamWins
Denim Demon

Postby RedTeamWins » Mon Feb 08, 2010 9:39 am

Watched Falling Down last night: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0106856/

Supposedly (according to the back of the case) its a 'tale of urban reality', and about a guy who gets so wound up about the annoyances of everyday life that he snaps and abandons his gridlocked car on the freeway. It's really pretty damn funny (holding up a burger place and forcing them to make breakfast at gunpoint, then paying for it and leaving is a highlight), as one incident leads to another and the whole thing escalates.

One problem is that by about the halfway point of the film you realise that he isn't just some normal guy who has been screwed by society; he's a genuine nutbar, and that sort of ruins any sympathy you might have had for him.

Overall, very good and for £4 I reccomend people go get it.

Applecore
Denim Demon

Postby Applecore » Mon Feb 08, 2010 1:26 pm

Luke_X wrote:from what ive read, the initial test screenings werent very good so whether they re-edit it for theatrical release i dont know. the trailer didnt impress me much because im so used to seeing Robert Englund as Freddy. the new mask doesnt look very scary in my mind, it looks more like the one used in the final Nightmare film (the one where reality and the film somehow become one). i never really like the original Friday the 13th films because the stories didnt really pack a punch to keep me watching long enough or at least keep some concentration.

i think most people will agree that Nightmare 2 was a pretty terrible film, and ia gree they turned to the more darker comedy which was a shame really but it kinda had a novelty to it.

I actually quite like all of the NoES films. While I like a good serious horror, I also really like cheesy B-Movies, which is essentially the entire NoES series (with the exceptions of possibly the original and New Nightmare).
I'm looking forward to the remake, as I've enjoyed Michael Bay's horror remakes so far. Amityville Horror was great, The Hitcher was fantastic, as were both Texas Chainsaw films and Friday the 13th was about as good as it could've been - a bloke in a hockey mask offing teenagers, but still very watchable.
I know the new makeup doesn't look a thing like Englund's Freddy, but that's the point. It's not Englund. If they wanted the comedy Freddy then they wouldn't bother remaking it, they'd just shoot another with Robert Englund. Freddy looks more like a burns victim than a pizza this time, which means there'll be less of a comedy element in the film.
I think Jackie Earle Haley is a great actor and it'll be good to see how he portrays my favourite madman. From the trailer, it seems we're in for a darker attempt of a Nightmare film, which could go horribly wrong or it could be fucking intense. I'm hoping for the latter.
Buy me a beer at:
8-11/8 - Bloodstock

Pagan Knight
Knight of the Eemerald Svord

Postby Pagan Knight » Mon Feb 08, 2010 7:34 pm

RedTeamWins wrote:Watched Falling Down last night: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0106856/

Supposedly (according to the back of the case) its a 'tale of urban reality', and about a guy who gets so wound up about the annoyances of everyday life that he snaps and abandons his gridlocked car on the freeway. It's really pretty damn funny (holding up a burger place and forcing them to make breakfast at gunpoint, then paying for it and leaving is a highlight), as one incident leads to another and the whole thing escalates.

One problem is that by about the halfway point of the film you realise that he isn't just some normal guy who has been screwed by society; he's a genuine nutbar, and that sort of ruins any sympathy you might have had for him.

Overall, very good and for £4 I reccomend people go get it.

Falling down is good where did you see it for £4 ?. :?
Oh, just watched 'Hellboy 2'(for the 3rd time),not as good as the 1st one but still a fine film that is visually nice & full of imagination.On top of all that it also has some funny moments too ! 7/10. :)
A Storms A-Brewing!
The Clan Destined , A Forest Of Stars , Wintersun , Tiamat , Moonspell , Wardruna , Pitchshifter , Anathema , Sòlstafir , Suicidal Tendencies , Moonsorrow , Winterfylleth , Baroness & FEN for Bloodstock Open Air ....