The Book thread

Put the world to rights here (off-topic discussion)
Littlemissmetal
Denim Demon

Re: The Book thread

Postby Littlemissmetal » Mon Feb 01, 2010 10:20 pm

black_rose wrote:I think I'll always prefer Farseer and The Tawny Man to a certain degree (partly just 'cause I <3 the Fool!) but I did really enjoy The Dragon Keeper.
Incidentally (on a random note) do you ever find yourself telling the characters in books not to do something even though you know that they're going to 'cause it's how the book's written and it doesn't matter how much you tell them not to? 'cause I'm rereading A Song of Ice and Fire at the moment and I was practically yelling at Ned Stark not to go to King's Landing... :oops:

Song of Ice and Fire is about the only set of books I do that with, because they're my favourites and I get so involved!

I think its Storm of Swords thats the worst for me getting frustrated with the characters :lol: Red Wedding, anyone?
http://www.facebook.com/LittleMissMetal
http://http://knightofdrosdelnoch.tumblr.com/

Smindas wrote:Kick him in the shins. With knifey shoes.

Bisset wrote:I'd rather slap my balls with a cheese grater.

Words are our most inexhaustible source of magic

Calibur
Denim Demon

Postby Calibur » Tue Feb 02, 2010 12:06 am

black_rose wrote:
Calibur wrote:Been reading Charlie Brooker's "Dawn of the Dumb" and for a more historical slant, Michael Burleigh's "The Third Reich."

Any got any good fantasy/sci-fi that's worth a read?

Mostly on the Fantasy side of things:

Robin Hobb - literally any and all of her books. I'd recommend starting with The Farseer Trilogy, though. One of my favourite authors of all time.
George RR Martin - I'm currently re-reading the Song of Ice and Fire series, but a lot of his other stuff is really good as well. He also write Sci-Fi stuff as well as fantasy - Tuf Voyaging is good on the front, also Dream Songs (two part collection of assorted short stories) is probably a good place to start with his stuff.
Kristin Cashore - Graceling and Fire are an excellent pair of books...

Oh, and on a random extra Sci-Fi note, Blindsight by Peter Watts was a very interesting read.

Hope that helps!

Thanks for the list! I'll try and get my hands on them!

black_rose
Leather Rebel

Postby black_rose » Tue Feb 02, 2010 3:23 am

Littlemissmetal wrote:
black_rose wrote:I think I'll always prefer Farseer and The Tawny Man to a certain degree (partly just 'cause I <3 the Fool!) but I did really enjoy The Dragon Keeper.
Incidentally (on a random note) do you ever find yourself telling the characters in books not to do something even though you know that they're going to 'cause it's how the book's written and it doesn't matter how much you tell them not to? 'cause I'm rereading A Song of Ice and Fire at the moment and I was practically yelling at Ned Stark not to go to King's Landing... :oops:

Song of Ice and Fire is about the only set of books I do that with, because they're my favourites and I get so involved!

I think its Storm of Swords thats the worst for me getting frustrated with the characters :lol: Red Wedding, anyone?

Oh Jesus Christ, yes... I've only just started rereading A Clash of Kings so far, but oh gods I remember the frustration of that bit!! I'm getting dead impatient for the next one to come out, mind...

Calibur wrote:
black_rose wrote:
Mostly on the Fantasy side of things:

Robin Hobb - literally any and all of her books. I'd recommend starting with The Farseer Trilogy, though. One of my favourite authors of all time.
George RR Martin - I'm currently re-reading the Song of Ice and Fire series, but a lot of his other stuff is really good as well. He also write Sci-Fi stuff as well as fantasy - Tuf Voyaging is good on the front, also Dream Songs (two part collection of assorted short stories) is probably a good place to start with his stuff.
Kristin Cashore - Graceling and Fire are an excellent pair of books...

Oh, and on a random extra Sci-Fi note, Blindsight by Peter Watts was a very interesting read.

Hope that helps!

Thanks for the list! I'll try and get my hands on them!

You're welcome... I hope you enjoy them :)
Maybe I am just the road, dreaming that I walk

Littlemissmetal
Denim Demon

Postby Littlemissmetal » Tue Feb 02, 2010 8:27 am

This just makes me even more annoyed at the lack of Dance with Dragons in my life :lol:
http://www.facebook.com/LittleMissMetal
http://http://knightofdrosdelnoch.tumblr.com/

Smindas wrote:Kick him in the shins. With knifey shoes.

Bisset wrote:I'd rather slap my balls with a cheese grater.

Words are our most inexhaustible source of magic

NightEyes
Slayer of Wimps/Posers

Postby NightEyes » Tue Feb 02, 2010 4:37 pm

Richard Matheson - I Am legend

black_rose
Leather Rebel

Postby black_rose » Tue Feb 02, 2010 7:26 pm

Littlemissmetal wrote:This just makes me even more annoyed at the lack of Dance with Dragons in my life :lol:

Yeah, me too... I've got it on pre-order from Amazon... but the release date keeps changing :(

The Warlord
Hell Bent for Leather

Postby The Warlord » Wed Feb 03, 2010 2:08 pm

Just finished Jeffery Deaver- Roadside Crosses! Excellent!
Instant Wanker.....Just Add Beer!

Tet
Denim Demon

Postby Tet » Wed Feb 03, 2010 9:43 pm

NightEyes wrote:Richard Matheson - I Am legend

Good book, although I struggled with the level of self loathing described. Excellent ending, though. I haven't seen the film. I suspect I'll keep it that way.
CH3NO2 -- It's the only way to be sure
You laugh at me because I'm different. I pity you, you're all the same...

Tet
Denim Demon

Postby Tet » Wed Feb 03, 2010 9:49 pm

Big D wrote:
Tet wrote:..." and am now reading "Jerusalem fire" by RM Meluch.

Is that the one where an ex-general ends up living with a bunch of fire-walking aliens? Quite a good book if it is.

Yes, although you might have noticed me saying "am now reading". That bit of plot hadn't actually been revealed by then. Fortunately I was far enough through that there had been sufficient hints dropped that I'd worked it out anyway, so you didn't spoil it too much...
CH3NO2 -- It's the only way to be sure
You laugh at me because I'm different. I pity you, you're all the same...

Big D
Denim Demon

Postby Big D » Fri Feb 05, 2010 10:09 am

Tet wrote:
Big D wrote:
Tet wrote:..." and am now reading "Jerusalem fire" by RM Meluch.

Is that the one where an ex-general ends up living with a bunch of fire-walking aliens? Quite a good book if it is.

Yes, although you might have noticed me saying "am now reading". That bit of plot hadn't actually been revealed by then. Fortunately I was far enough through that there had been sufficient hints dropped that I'd worked it out anyway, so you didn't spoil it too much...

Oops. Sorry. :oops:

MagaMaga
Warrior of Metal

Postby MagaMaga » Fri Feb 05, 2010 10:14 am

Im Reading Raven Bloodeye by Giles Kristian, probs the best book i have read in ages
Years of hollow lies, made Pagan hatred rise

Calibur
Denim Demon

Postby Calibur » Sun Feb 07, 2010 4:08 pm

So I went to the library to pick up people's suggestion and soon realised my library is shit.

I did get a Robin Hobb book, but I don't think it's part of the series everyone mentioned. Also picked up 2001: A Space Odyssey just to see if it's good.

black_rose
Leather Rebel

Postby black_rose » Sun Feb 07, 2010 4:14 pm

Calibur wrote:So I went to the library to pick up people's suggestion and soon realised my library is shit.

I did get a Robin Hobb book, but I don't think it's part of the series everyone mentioned. Also picked up 2001: A Space Odyssey just to see if it's good.

What's the Robin Hobb you've picked up?
Also, I believe most libraries will get stuff in from other branches (assuming there's another branch that has the books...) if you request it...

Calibur
Denim Demon

Postby Calibur » Sun Feb 07, 2010 4:19 pm

black_rose wrote:
Calibur wrote:So I went to the library to pick up people's suggestion and soon realised my library is shit.

What's the Robin Hobb you've picked up?
Also, I believe most libraries will get stuff in from other branches (assuming there's another branch that has the books...) if you request it...

Renegade's Magic. WIll make a start on it tonight me thinks.

Aye, they do that here- but I was on the clock a bit so didn't have time to. Probably will Monday, however.

Flaming_Chaos
Knight of the Eemerald Svord

Postby Flaming_Chaos » Sun Feb 07, 2010 4:39 pm

MagaMaga wrote:Im Reading Raven Bloodeye by Giles Kristian, probs the best book i have read in ages

i bought that a few days ago along with Empire Of The Moghul: Raiders From The North by Alex Rutherford. i opted to start the latter first and its pretty damn good so far. well worth the £3.86 each from ASDA :lol:
Check out my solo music page: http://www.myspace.com/preachersofodiummusic
AGALLOCH FOR BOA '11!
NOVEMBRE FOR BOA '11!
KATATONIA FOR BOA '11!
SOILWORK FOR BOA '11!