The Book thread

Put the world to rights here (off-topic discussion)
NightEyes
Slayer of Wimps/Posers

Re: The Book thread

Postby NightEyes » Sun Feb 07, 2010 4:45 pm

Tet wrote:
NightEyes wrote:Richard Matheson - I Am legend

Good book, although I struggled with the level of self loathing described. Excellent ending, though. I haven't seen the film. I suspect I'll keep it that way.

The ending is one of the best I have read, shame all the films alter the story so either the endings effect is reduced or they just make a new ending.

Big D
Denim Demon

Postby Big D » Sun Feb 07, 2010 5:25 pm

Currently reading - Tom LLoyd- The Twilight Herald.

Quite a decent read but suffers from the usual fantasy problems of :
a. A cast of thousands who tend to disperse, reform and acquire new characters so I'm already struggling to remember who the hell is where. Also known as the Jordan Effect.
and
b. A definite sense that I missed some important exposition somewhere along the way.

Still, it's entertaining enough and the the author manages to make the hero flawed without making him an unlikeable knob.

black_rose
Leather Rebel

Postby black_rose » Sun Feb 07, 2010 7:20 pm

Calibur wrote:
black_rose wrote:
Calibur wrote:So I went to the library to pick up people's suggestion and soon realised my library is shit.

I did get a Robin Hobb book, but I don't think it's part of the series everyone mentioned. Also picked up 2001: A Space Odyssey just to see if it's good.

What's the Robin Hobb you've picked up?
Also, I believe most libraries will get stuff in from other branches (assuming there's another branch that has the books...) if you request it...

Renegade's Magic. WIll make a start on it tonight me thinks.

Aye, they do that here- but I was on the clock a bit so didn't have time to. Probably will Monday, however.

...so I should probably point out about now that Renegade's Magic is book 3 of the Soldier Son trilogy... probably not the best place to start...

Titles for everything are:

Farseer Trilogy:
Assassin's Apprentice
Royal Assassin
Assassin's Quest

The Tawny Man Trilogy:
Fool's Errand
The Golden Fool
Fool's Fate

Liveship Traders Trilogy:
Ship of Magic
Mad Ship
Ship of Destiny

The Rain Wild Chronicles:
The Dragon Keeper
Dragon Haven (due for release 04.03)

Soldier Son Trilogy:
Shaman's Crossing
Forest Mage
Renegade's Magic
Maybe I am just the road, dreaming that I walk

Calibur
Denim Demon

Postby Calibur » Sun Feb 07, 2010 8:41 pm

Bugger. :lol:

black_rose
Leather Rebel

Postby black_rose » Sun Feb 07, 2010 8:46 pm

Calibur wrote:Bugger. :lol:

Indeed! Hopefully you can request some next time you're in, though?
Maybe I am just the road, dreaming that I walk

Calibur
Denim Demon

Postby Calibur » Sun Feb 07, 2010 8:48 pm

black_rose wrote:
Calibur wrote:Bugger. :lol:

Indeed! Hopefully you can request some next time you're in, though?

Yeah, I'll probably be popping down there tommorrow. I just have a weird library. I once looked through the teen section and found a graphic novel full of sex drawings....which was weird :lol:

However, I still have 2001: A Space Odyssey to read before Monday. Huzzah

kle110
Slayer of Wimps/Posers

Postby kle110 » Sun Feb 07, 2010 8:49 pm

Currently reading Chris Kuzneski stuff. My sister bought me his entire collection for Christmas, good job I've found he's alright :P

Just finished The Plantation. Which is basically about a group of black guys wanting revenge for their ancestors. So, they steal a load of white people and torture them in exactly the way their great granddads used to be when they were slaves. I hope it's not true as some stuff is pretty brutal!

And I've just started The Lost Throne. So far monks have been thrown off a cliff and a forensic investigation is being held in Greece.

RedTeamWins
Denim Demon

Postby RedTeamWins » Mon Feb 08, 2010 1:35 pm

Currently reading 'Twilight of The Idols', and got Machiavelli's 'The Prince' from waterstones not that long ago. Grim stuff.

I miss borders, they had such a good scifi section :(

deeno
Slayer of Wimps/Posers

Postby deeno » Mon Feb 08, 2010 1:38 pm

RedTeamWins wrote:Currently reading 'Twilight of The Idols', and got Machiavelli's 'The Prince' from waterstones not that long ago. Grim stuff.

I miss borders, they had such a good scifi section :(

This :(

Big D
Denim Demon

Postby Big D » Sun Feb 14, 2010 4:47 pm

Just finished Steve Alten - The Loch.

Disgraced ocean biology type chappie gets called in to help his estranged dad escape a murder rap. Given the title it comes as no surpise that a certain big aqautic beastie features heavily.

andeh
Denim Demon

Postby andeh » Mon Feb 15, 2010 10:51 pm

Last week I started 'The Keep' by F. Paul Anderson. It's set in WWII about a group of German soldiers occupying a deserted Romanian fortress in the Transylvanian Alps, you can guess what's killing the lot of them. Pretty decent, 60 pages in and there's already been 7 brutal murders so I'm looking forward to the rest of it.

Logeli
Lowly Peon

Postby Logeli » Mon Feb 15, 2010 11:16 pm

FInally decided to read Heart-Shaped Box by Joe Hill, after a bit of bullying from my boss.

It's about an aging rock-star who has a thing for buying macabre artifacts, such as a cannibal's cookbook or a used hangmans noose. He goes online and discovers a sale for a ghost, soon after this item arrives at his house, this ghost then starts to appear everywhere. Seems like this ghost has been murdered or just has general blood-lust due to him appearing with a razor blade in his hand.

Quite creepy and hard to get into, but I'm loving it :)

deeno
Slayer of Wimps/Posers

Postby deeno » Thu Feb 18, 2010 12:36 pm

Currently reading Haunted by Chuck Palahniuk - fairly good .

Applecore
Denim Demon

Postby Applecore » Thu Feb 18, 2010 2:02 pm

Not sure if this belongs here, or in the comics thread that I couldn't be bothered to search for. It's a graphic novel, anyway, so it's the weird grey area between books and comics (albeit leaning more towards comics).
Anyway, started reading Scott Pilgrim's Precious Little Life today, the first of a series that's being made into a movie by Edgar Wright. Halfway through the first book and so far I love it, can't wait for next week when I can order the next part (or three..)
Buy me a beer at:
8-11/8 - Bloodstock

gumpy87
Denim Demon

Postby gumpy87 » Thu Feb 18, 2010 3:49 pm

Applecore wrote:Not sure if this belongs here, or in the comics thread that I couldn't be bothered to search for. It's a graphic novel, anyway, so it's the weird grey area between books and comics (albeit leaning more towards comics).
Anyway, started reading Scott Pilgrim's Precious Little Life today, the first of a series that's being made into a movie by Edgar Wright. Halfway through the first book and so far I love it, can't wait for next week when I can order the next part (or three..)

a friend has been recomending Scott Pilgrim's Precious Little Life to me for ages but i still havnt got round to reading them
By this axe I rule