movies

Put the world to rights here (off-topic discussion)
Darkweasel
Denim Demon

Re: movies

Postby Darkweasel » Fri Feb 19, 2010 11:26 am

Applecore wrote:1. Inglourious Basterds
2. District 9
4. Zombieland

8. Transformers 2: Revenge of the Fallen

First three definitely make my top 5.
Transformers 2 wouldn't even make my top twenty. Way too long and that scene with the stoned mom was unforgiveably horrendous.

Applecore
Denim Demon

Postby Applecore » Fri Feb 19, 2010 11:51 am

Darkweasel wrote:
2. District 9
4. Zombieland

Transformers 2 wouldn't even make my top twenty. Way too long and that scene with the stoned mom was unforgiveably horrendous.

Haha, but we all know I like the trashy films :P
Buy me a beer at:
8-11/8 - Bloodstock

Luke_X
Denim Demon

Postby Luke_X » Fri Feb 19, 2010 11:57 am

Applecore wrote:Right, balls, my top 10 of 2009.

1. Inglourious Basterds
2. District 9

some choice films there. i thought i was the only one who would Inglorious Bastards at the top, most of people i know who saw it didnt have the patience to sit and watch the film. they just wanted someone to shoot someone. but i think District 9 pretty much beat everything in terms of film of the year. but then again people i knew were either unhappy with how it was shot or the fact there was too much talking. amazes how they can call themselves fans of film.

I think that Star Trek and Terminator 4 were very good films, especially T4 as it was a major improvement on number 3 and Star Trek needed more Simon Pegg. i also think that Resident Evil Degeneration, despite being direct to DVD, was an amazing film. it was very true to the original games and perfectly fills the gap between Resi 4 and 5.

Applecore
Denim Demon

Postby Applecore » Fri Feb 19, 2010 12:06 pm

Luke_X wrote:

1. Inglourious Basterds
2. District 9

some choice films there. i thought i was the only one who would Inglorious Bastards at the top, most of people i know who saw it didnt have the patience to sit and watch the film. they just wanted someone to shoot someone. but i think District 9 pretty much beat everything in terms of film of the year. but then again people i knew were either unhappy with how it was shot or the fact there was too much talking. amazes how they can call themselves fans of film.

You mean Inglourious Basterds, with a u and an e? ;) Inglorious Bastards is a very different film altogether.
Ugh, I hate it when people treat films like that. If they want people shooting each other for 90 mins then they should watch Shoot 'em Up or Rambo 4 and leave the decent stuff to actual movie fans.

Luke_X wrote:I think that Star Trek and Terminator 4 were very good films, especially T4 as it was a major improvement on number 3 and Star Trek needed more Simon Pegg. i also think that Resident Evil Degeneration, despite being direct to DVD, was an amazing film. it was very true to the original games and perfectly fills the gap between Resi 4 and 5.

Of those three I've seen Star Trek, and it very nearly made it into my top 10 (in fact, it'd be number 10 if you take out This is It). I just can't see myself watching it again anytime soon.. One of those films I can only watch once every few months.
Buy me a beer at:
8-11/8 - Bloodstock

Luke_X
Denim Demon

Postby Luke_X » Fri Feb 19, 2010 12:23 pm

Applecore wrote:
Luke_X wrote:

1. Inglourious Basterds
2. District 9

You mean Inglourious Basterds, with a u and an e? ;) Inglorious Bastards is a very different film altogether.
Ugh, I hate it when people treat films like that. If they want people shooting each other for 90 mins then they should watch Shoot 'em Up or Rambo 4 and leave the decent stuff to actual movie fans.

Luke_X wrote:I think that Star Trek and Terminator 4 were very good films, especially T4 as it was a major improvement on number 3 and Star Trek needed more Simon Pegg. i also think that Resident Evil Degeneration, despite being direct to DVD, was an amazing film. it was very true to the original games and perfectly fills the gap between Resi 4 and 5.

Of those three I've seen Star Trek, and it very nearly made it into my top 10 (in fact, it'd be number 10 if you take out This is It). I just can't see myself watching it again anytime soon.. One of those films I can only watch once every few months.

apologies. i get fed up of having to spell so many words differently so i just spell them normally. i think if your going to a Tarrantino film, you have got to expect a heavy dialogue film. most people seem to compare it to Kill Bill which is a totally different style to his other films, being that there is a lot of action in it and shiny objects to keep dumb people occupied. for me IB was the closest he has gotten to Pulp Fiction and Resevoir Dogs. i love all his films but he will now have 3 great films to remember him in history. maybe Kill Bill 3 will be good enough to get 4 great films?

Darkweasel
Denim Demon

Postby Darkweasel » Fri Feb 19, 2010 12:28 pm

Applecore wrote:
Darkweasel wrote:
2. District 9
4. Zombieland

Haha, but we all know I like the trashy films :P

So do I but there's a difference between trashy and bollocks. :D

Applecore
Denim Demon

Postby Applecore » Fri Feb 19, 2010 12:43 pm

Darkweasel wrote:
Applecore wrote:Haha, but we all know I like the trashy films :P

So do I but there's a difference between trashy and bollocks. :D

Lol, fair point! Though, I only paid a fiver for it (and it was more so I had both on dvd)

Luke_X wrote:apologies. i get fed up of having to spell so many words differently so i just spell them normally. i think if your going to a Tarrantino film, you have got to expect a heavy dialogue film. most people seem to compare it to Kill Bill which is a totally different style to his other films, being that there is a lot of action in it and shiny objects to keep dumb people occupied. for me IB was the closest he has gotten to Pulp Fiction and Resevoir Dogs. i love all his films but he will now have 3 great films to remember him in history. maybe Kill Bill 3 will be good enough to get 4 great films?

I can see the similarity to KB, in that it's quite dialogue driven, but has some fantastic action sequences to keep the less serious movie fans happy. But yeah, it wouldn't be a Tarantino film if it didn't have snappy, well written dialogue, it's almost like a trademark of his films, and makes him an auteur of his own genre.
Buy me a beer at:
8-11/8 - Bloodstock

ANDREWHALL28
Denim Demon

Postby ANDREWHALL28 » Fri Feb 19, 2010 1:07 pm

I am going to see Soloman Cane tomorrow, looks brilliant

Darkweasel
Denim Demon

Postby Darkweasel » Fri Feb 19, 2010 1:46 pm

ANDREWHALL28 wrote:I am going to see Soloman Cane tomorrow, looks brilliant

I know nothing about that film other than what I've seen in the trailer but I must admit to being a little intrigued by it.

Dan Jenkins
Denim Demon

Postby Dan Jenkins » Fri Feb 19, 2010 2:37 pm

Last edited by Dan Jenkins on Wed Mar 12, 2014 10:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Littlemissmetal
Denim Demon

Postby Littlemissmetal » Fri Feb 19, 2010 2:38 pm

I want to see Solomon Kane because its James Purefoy, who is just :love:

It looks an interesting film too :lol:
http://www.facebook.com/LittleMissMetal
http://http://knightofdrosdelnoch.tumblr.com/

Smindas wrote:Kick him in the shins. With knifey shoes.

Bisset wrote:I'd rather slap my balls with a cheese grater.

Words are our most inexhaustible source of magic

Luke_X
Denim Demon

Postby Luke_X » Fri Feb 19, 2010 2:41 pm

Applecore wrote:
Luke_X wrote:apologies. i get fed up of having to spell so many words differently so i just spell them normally. i think if your going to a Tarrantino film, you have got to expect a heavy dialogue film. most people seem to compare it to Kill Bill which is a totally different style to his other films, being that there is a lot of action in it and shiny objects to keep dumb people occupied. for me IB was the closest he has gotten to Pulp Fiction and Resevoir Dogs. i love all his films but he will now have 3 great films to remember him in history. maybe Kill Bill 3 will be good enough to get 4 great films?

I can see the similarity to KB, in that it's quite dialogue driven, but has some fantastic action sequences to keep the less serious movie fans happy. But yeah, it wouldn't be a Tarantino film if it didn't have snappy, well written dialogue, it's almost like a trademark of his films, and makes him an auteur of his own genre.

i think its the writing aspect thats lost in a lot of films. most films will try and be serious but the dialogue tends to lack a little bit or chuck in as many inuendo jokes as possible (see Transformers 2). there are 2 parts in IB that really stick out to me dialogue wise. the first being the part with Mike Myers as the british General. while he plays the character off as goofy and gets a few chuckles, his actual dialogue is important to the whole film and basically sturctures the film from that point. the second being the german pub scene where the undercover british soldier asks for 3 drinks but uses the wrong 3 fingers which the SS officer picks up on immediately. to be able to have the sort of patience to dig into countries cultures and differences to that level of detail is amazing and something you wouldnt see in a usual big budget film like Batman. its that sort of detail that i like waiting for films by Tarrantino and Rodriguez and why im getting heavily excited for Rodriguez's Machete and his adaption of Predators (what would have been Predator 2).

Ndnd
Denim Demon

Postby Ndnd » Sun Feb 21, 2010 8:20 pm

Watched Taken today.

I really enjoyed it actually even if it was a bit far fetched.
Mau Mau
Noodle wrote:Darkweasel, Kim or sig in 3.... 2...

Applecore
Denim Demon

Postby Applecore » Sun Feb 21, 2010 8:30 pm

Bellini wrote:Watched Taken today.

I really enjoyed it actually even if it was a bit far fetched.

Only a bit? :lol:
I think I love that film too much.
Buy me a beer at:
8-11/8 - Bloodstock

Ndnd
Denim Demon

Postby Ndnd » Sun Feb 21, 2010 8:33 pm

hahaha well the most far fetched bit for me was the fact that someone who was not Irish wanted to follow U2 around on tour
Mau Mau
Noodle wrote:Darkweasel, Kim or sig in 3.... 2...