movies

Put the world to rights here (off-topic discussion)
Ensorcelled
Denim Demon

Re: movies

Postby Ensorcelled » Sun Mar 14, 2010 8:04 pm

Luke_X wrote:
Ensorcelled wrote:Be sure to watch Pulp Fiction at some point. I regard it as his best film.

FYP :D

out of all Tarrantino's films, Jackie Brown was the only one i thought was the least brilliant.

Snore. Pulp Fiction is hilariously over rated. Good, but over rated. Hell, I think Inglourious Basterds is better than Pulp Fiction in terms of monologues.

Applecore
Denim Demon

Postby Applecore » Sun Mar 14, 2010 8:09 pm

I love Pulp Fiction but I think Inglourious Basterds is my favourite Tarantino film (followed closely by Reservoir Dogs).
PF is a great film if you just want to see scenes that ooze cool. The acting is quite OTT, as are the monologues, but it works. That said, IB does all of that, but juxtaposed with a WW2 War Film, which I've never seen done before.
Buy me a beer at:
8-11/8 - Bloodstock

Luke_X
Denim Demon

Postby Luke_X » Sun Mar 14, 2010 8:30 pm

well each Tarrantino film is different in it own way. PF always impress's me everytime i watch it. from a directing point of view, the camera shots and structure of the footage is incredible. RD is very close in my liking for the same reason. JB loses all of the camera style and he opts to film it like a normal film which is why i dont like it too much. the acting and script is great but i like the cut aways and mix and match story telling. KB 1&2 fix that bit they came out too close together for me to want to like KB2 that much. DP just got boring for me. it was the same thing twicein 1 movie although when somethign did happen is was brilliantly shot. IB is perfect in all ways and i would put it up there with PF and RD and his best films.

Turbo
Denim Demon

Postby Turbo » Sun Mar 14, 2010 8:40 pm

Luke_X wrote:
Ensorcelled wrote:Be sure to watch Pulp Fiction at some point. I regard it as his best film.

FYP :D

out of all Tarrantino's films, Jackie Brown was the only one i thought was the least brilliant.

Ive seen Pulp Fiction. Many, many times.

Johnny Tightlips
Denim Demon

Postby Johnny Tightlips » Sun Mar 14, 2010 8:57 pm

Darkweasel wrote:Dull, cliched and horribly overwritten

This describes every Tarrantino film for me. I can't bear to watch most of them.

Applecore
Denim Demon

Postby Applecore » Sun Mar 14, 2010 9:23 pm

Luke_X wrote:well each Tarrantino film is different in it own way. PF always impress's me everytime i watch it. from a directing point of view, the camera shots and structure of the footage is incredible. RD is very close in my liking for the same reason. JB loses all of the camera style and he opts to film it like a normal film which is why i dont like it too much. the acting and script is great but i like the cut aways and mix and match story telling. KB 1&2 fix that bit they came out too close together for me to want to like KB2 that much. DP just got boring for me. it was the same thing twicein 1 movie although when somethign did happen is was brilliantly shot. IB is perfect in all ways and i would put it up there with PF and RD and his best films.

I agree with the vast majority of this. Except for the stuff about JB, because I've not seen it :P
There's some fantastic shots in PF, one that always sticks in my mind is Bruce Willis walking from his car, across the yard, through the fence and up to his apartment - I'd seen it countless times but only recently noticed that it's all one long shot.
As for RD, it always amazes me as it was Tarantino's first film and it's a lot better than some films by directors who've been working for years.
Buy me a beer at:
8-11/8 - Bloodstock

Pagan Knight
Knight of the Eemerald Svord

Postby Pagan Knight » Sun Mar 14, 2010 9:30 pm

Pulp fiction is fantastic :yes: ,Dogs was great too & Death proof was easily his WORST film :coffee:
A Storms A-Brewing!
The Clan Destined , A Forest Of Stars , Wintersun , Tiamat , Moonspell , Wardruna , Pitchshifter , Anathema , Sòlstafir , Suicidal Tendencies , Moonsorrow , Winterfylleth , Baroness & FEN for Bloodstock Open Air ....

Applecore
Denim Demon

Postby Applecore » Sun Mar 14, 2010 9:35 pm

Am I the only person here that can happily watch Death Proof?
Agreed it's the weakest I've seen by him, but it's still not a terrible film - it's got some of the classic snappy dialogue, sassy Tarantino characters AND Kurt Russell!!
Buy me a beer at:
8-11/8 - Bloodstock

Pagan Knight

Postby Pagan Knight » Sun Mar 14, 2010 9:42 pm

Applecore wrote:Am I the only person here that can happily watch Death Proof?
Agreed it's the weakest I've seen by him, but it's still not a terrible film - it's got some of the classic snappy dialogue, sassy Tarantino characters AND Kurt Russell!!

Kurt was good once(The Thing , Escape from New york & BTILC )but nowadays hes just boring & the dialogue aint a patch on Reservoir dogs talk ! :evillaff:
A Storms A-Brewing!
The Clan Destined , A Forest Of Stars , Wintersun , Tiamat , Moonspell , Wardruna , Pitchshifter , Anathema , Sòlstafir , Suicidal Tendencies , Moonsorrow , Winterfylleth , Baroness & FEN for Bloodstock Open Air ....

Applecore
Denim Demon

Postby Applecore » Sun Mar 14, 2010 9:47 pm

Pagan Knight wrote:

Kurt was good once(The Thing , Escape from New york & BTILC )but nowadays hes just boring & the dialogue aint a patch on Reservoir dogs talk ! :evillaff:

I'm not saying it is. ResDogs is my second favourite Tarantino film (after Basterds). But Death Proof does have some of the essential Tarantino elements, which I think makes it a decent film. Had it been shot by any other director, it would be lacking the things that make it so watchable and I'd probably hate it. I just think it's more of a testament to Tarantino's talent that he's managed to make something good out of something so weak.
Buy me a beer at:
8-11/8 - Bloodstock

Pagan Knight

Postby Pagan Knight » Sun Mar 14, 2010 9:59 pm

Applecore wrote:
Pagan Knight wrote:

I'm not saying it is. ResDogs is my second favourite Tarantino film (after Basterds). But Death Proof does have some of the essential Tarantino elements, which I think makes it a decent film. Had it been shot by any other director, it would be lacking the things that make it so watchable and I'd probably hate it. I just think it's more of a testament to Tarantino's talent that he's managed to make something good out of something so weak.

Why do you( & plenty of others ) like Basterds so much ? I found it tooooo talky & more than abit boring.Now dont get me wrong i dont want just action action action but it would be nice to have some in a war film! :coffee: .This is why i like Pulp because its got Brilliant dialogue Some action & lots more imagination to it,but we're all different yeah? :yes:
A Storms A-Brewing!

Applecore
Denim Demon

Postby Applecore » Sun Mar 14, 2010 10:07 pm

Pagan Knight wrote:Why do you( & plenty of others ) like Basterds so much ? I found it tooooo talky & more than abit boring.Now dont get me wrong i dont want just action action action but it would be nice to have some in a war film! :coffee: .This is why i like Pulp because its got Brilliant dialogue Some action & lots more imagination to it,but we're all different yeah? :yes:

I can't speak for others, but I liked Basterds because it was a WW2 film that had the attitude of your typical Tarantino film - which I've never seen done before. It was a war film that was just full of cool. That, and Christoph Waltz's performance was fucking amazing. One of the most intimidating characters I've ever seen.
Buy me a beer at:
8-11/8 - Bloodstock

Pagan Knight

Postby Pagan Knight » Sun Mar 14, 2010 10:14 pm

Applecore wrote:I can't speak for others, but I liked Basterds because it was a WW2 film that had the attitude of your typical Tarantino film - which I've never seen done before. It was a war film that was just full of cool. That, and Christoph Waltz's performance was fucking amazing. One of the most intimidating characters I've ever seen.

ohh.
Yeah Christoph Waltz was good :yes:
Heres one for ya...Where eagles dare, bloody great war film,still ! :guns:
A Storms A-Brewing!

Applecore
Denim Demon

Postby Applecore » Sun Mar 14, 2010 10:17 pm

Pagan Knight wrote:
Applecore wrote:I can't speak for others, but I liked Basterds because it was a WW2 film that had the attitude of your typical Tarantino film - which I've never seen done before. It was a war film that was just full of cool. That, and Christoph Waltz's performance was fucking amazing. One of the most intimidating characters I've ever seen.

ohh.

I may Lovefilm it, but I'm not usually a fan of war films..
Buy me a beer at:
8-11/8 - Bloodstock

Pagan Knight

Postby Pagan Knight » Sun Mar 14, 2010 10:20 pm

Applecore wrote:
Pagan Knight wrote:

ohh.

I may Lovefilm it, but I'm not usually a fan of war films..

Nor i,one wouldnt even make my top 20 alltime film list :o but it is good methinks :eyes:
A Storms A-Brewing!