Computer Games Thread

Put the world to rights here (off-topic discussion)
RedTeamWins
Denim Demon

Re: Computer Games Thread

Postby RedTeamWins » Fri Mar 19, 2010 5:30 pm

Luke_X wrote:
RedTeamWins wrote:Got Metro 2033
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rVZJ6gAmT4I

Not had a chance to play it yet but it looks pretty as hell (the above vid is for the PC version, but still...) and has a cool Russian-post-apocalyptic-steampunk vibe about it.

Unfortunately I don't get home for a while today so it'll have to wait before I can play it :(

guessing from your avatar, if you liked Fallout 3 then youll like Metro 2033. i had it an hour and then went back to the shop to exchange it for Bad Company 2. as with any THQ game, it looks pretty but the gameplay is very flawed.

I did very much so. The avatar is more because of the appropriatness of having a 'brotherhood of steel' avatar on a metal forum though. /random fact

Going from the trailers I expect it to be linear as hell and have streight forward generic-shooter gunplay, in fact many of the sections looked like they were literally on rails, as in in a mine cart. Can't judge untill I've played it though. About to get a drink and then give it a go.
Last edited by RedTeamWins on Fri Mar 19, 2010 5:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mikeftw
Hell Bent for Leather

Postby mikeftw » Fri Mar 19, 2010 5:36 pm

i was looking forward to max payne 3, but after seeing the screenies they have released im not so sure, WHY IS THERE BLUE SKY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Luke_X
Denim Demon

Postby Luke_X » Fri Mar 19, 2010 5:57 pm

RedTeamWins wrote:
Luke_X wrote:
RedTeamWins wrote:Got Metro 2033
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rVZJ6gAmT4I

Not had a chance to play it yet but it looks pretty as hell (the above vid is for the PC version, but still...) and has a cool Russian-post-apocalyptic-steampunk vibe about it.

Unfortunately I don't get home for a while today so it'll have to wait before I can play it :(

guessing from your avatar, if you liked Fallout 3 then youll like Metro 2033. i had it an hour and then went back to the shop to exchange it for Bad Company 2. as with any THQ game, it looks pretty but the gameplay is very flawed.

I did very much so. The avatar is more because of the appropriatness of having a 'brotherhood of steel' avatar on a metal forum though. /random fact

Going from the trailers I expect it to be linear as hell and have streight forward generic-shooter gunplay, in fact many of the sections looked like they were literally on rails, as in in a mine cart. Can't judge untill I've played it though. About to get a drink and then give it a go.

my main issue was that there was a cutscene every 5 seconds. so i got bored out of not being able to play. the main towns are pretty open but as soon as you do a mission you pretty much have to do what your told to do. they were pretty linear imo. and yes, there is a lot of cart based moving at the beginning.

mikeftw wrote:i was looking forward to max payne 3, but after seeing the screenies they have released im not so sure, WHY IS THERE BLUE SKY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

im guessing that would be because its set in the amazon and more of an open world this time round ala Far Cry 2 weather system.

gumpy87
Denim Demon

Postby gumpy87 » Fri Mar 19, 2010 8:36 pm

VizardAmata wrote:Stuck on FFXIII. Screw you Hecatoncheir! :x

:lol: i was just going to post this
By this axe I rule

RedTeamWins
Denim Demon

Postby RedTeamWins » Fri Mar 19, 2010 9:02 pm

Metro is decent, but buggy as all hell.

If you like games like COD or MOH where you sit around in a jeep/plane/boat being talked to and looking at the shiny shiny and soaking in the atmosphere, then you'll like this because it's got it in spades. The towns feel busy and depressing, helped in no small part by the inclusion of female and child character models (this could have easily been full of hoorah macho BS, luckily it's not) and several conversations happening at once when you enter an area; you can listen in to individual people if you want, or listen to the group as a whole. I'd reccomend the latter, because there's some typically hamfisted dialogue if you pay too much attention.

The combat, however, is irritating. The shotgun is huuuuuuuuge, and yet takes two shots to the face to take down one of the basic zombiemutantdemon things and I've emptied an entire handgun clip into them and apparantly hit nothing. It's not like accuracy is an option either as they just swarm you and take all your health in about ten seconds because it takes so long to reload. I've also got to a bit where one of the enemies seems to be invincible and has survived four grenades and countless mill-grade rounds to the face. I seriously hope this is just me being uncharactaristically stupid because the alternative is a potentially game-killing bug.

Other than that there are some pretty neat features such as millitary grade ammo being used as the world's currency, meaning that you have to draw a fine line between ammo conservation and staying alive. Also having to wear a gas mask on which you must periodically change the filters to aviod suffocation when on the surface is a pretty immersive little trick, but partially fails because filters are ten-a-penny, so there's no real sence of urgencey.

So overall, pretty, atmospheric, but deeply flawed.

Luke_X
Denim Demon

Postby Luke_X » Fri Mar 19, 2010 10:32 pm

the shotgun majorly pissed me off. plus i dont like the amount of different button confirguratiosn it takes to do something on the 360 version. took me ages to pump the damn flashlight. and it took me ages to get the machine gun to switch ammo, so i spent on my 'currency' on the mutants. was not impressed. there are way too many flaws they could have solved before releasing it.

WoRLoKKeD
Knight of the Eemerald Svord

Postby WoRLoKKeD » Sat Mar 20, 2010 1:22 am

Ah, Perfect Dark.
How well you translate to frustrating but brilliant online gameplay.
Kaahl wrote:Metal Hammer is actually Finnish for "Metal, My Arse!"

RedTeamWins
Denim Demon

Postby RedTeamWins » Sat Mar 20, 2010 5:25 pm

WoRLoKKeD wrote:Ah, Perfect Dark.

This the remake I've heard so much about? What format is it on?

Luke_X
Denim Demon

Postby Luke_X » Sat Mar 20, 2010 7:57 pm

RedTeamWins wrote:

its not a remake as such. microsoft have just made it shiny and made Joanna Dark look more like she was in Perfect Dark Zero (i prefer the original model). and you can only get it on the xbox live marketplace for 800 credits which is something like £8.

RedTeamWins
Denim Demon

Postby RedTeamWins » Sat Mar 20, 2010 8:02 pm

Luke_X wrote:
RedTeamWins wrote:

its not a remake as such. microsoft have just made it shiny and made Joanna Dark look more like she was in Perfect Dark Zero (i prefer the original model). and you can only get it on the xbox live marketplace for 800 credits which is something like £8.

huh, I had no idea it was on Live, despite Xbox being my prefered console. Shows how little I use live I suppose.
I pretty much have to check it out because I missed it the first time round. Stupid 18 certificate.

Luke_X
Denim Demon

Postby Luke_X » Sat Mar 20, 2010 8:55 pm

RedTeamWins wrote:
Luke_X wrote:
RedTeamWins wrote:This the remake I've heard so much about? What format is it on?

huh, I had no idea it was on Live, despite Xbox being my prefered console. Shows how little I use live I suppose.
I pretty much have to check it out because I missed it the first time round. Stupid 18 certificate.

well thats what parents were for when you wanted something to do. oh what it was like getting Turok when your only 10.

although having replaying all these N64 games (Banjo and Kazooie and Perfect Dark) they are a lot easier then i remember.

RedTeamWins
Denim Demon

Postby RedTeamWins » Sat Mar 20, 2010 8:59 pm

I managed to get Turok ok, but they were more cautious after that :lol:

Luke_X
Denim Demon

Postby Luke_X » Sat Mar 20, 2010 9:02 pm

my parents didnt have a problem until i asked for the N64 version of Resident Evil 2 and then they started saying no.

Luke-
Hell Bent for Leather

Postby Luke- » Sat Mar 20, 2010 9:05 pm

I'm 20 and Resident Evil still scares the shit out of me.
I can't play for more than 5 minutes without succumbing to panic.
"The thing about numbers is... there's loads of them."

Luke_X
Denim Demon

Postby Luke_X » Sat Mar 20, 2010 9:12 pm

i think endlessly watching Aliens with my mum didnt help when i was growing up and nothing scares me in film or game. although F.E.A.R. was spooky it didnt make scared more gave me a buzz.