Computer Games Thread

Put the world to rights here (off-topic discussion)
WorMzy
Denim Demon

Re: Computer Games Thread

Postby WorMzy » Wed Nov 24, 2010 12:03 am

Aaaarrrrgggghhhh wrote:Meanwhile those with PC's sit laughing at them & wonder why they don't buy something good.

Too right. :yes: :lol:
"I don't always go to clubs... but when I do, I enter through the ladies room"
~ Adam Jenson

herzeleid
Denim Demon

Postby herzeleid » Wed Nov 24, 2010 12:14 am

Price. Not nearly as many games come out on it.

CrapyMike
Denim Demon

Postby CrapyMike » Wed Nov 24, 2010 1:20 am

my xbox hasnt broke yet and i've had it nearly 2 years now :P no need to install my games, and a huge selection of games to choose from, why would i want anything else? there are very few games i want to play on PC and they're not worth the price of a PC good enough to play them :P
Matty_the_Emo_Slayer wrote:Is there an actual science of giving medical diagnosis by sniffing poo? I sometimes have a bit of a wiff from the paper and get curious if it smells different than usual.

http://www.last.fm/user/CrappyMike

jackcake
Denim Demon

Postby jackcake » Wed Nov 24, 2010 1:22 am

I like my PS3. Absolutely no reason for a casual gamer like myself to pay M$ a subscription to play one online game.
Sarchasm: The gulf between the author of sarcastic wit and the person who doesn't get it.

Last.fm

RB2610
Denim Demon

Postby RB2610 » Wed Nov 24, 2010 2:33 am

CrapyMike wrote:my xbox hasnt broke yet and i've had it nearly 2 years now :P no need to install my games, and a huge selection of games to choose from, why would i want anything else? there are very few games i want to play on PC and they're not worth the price of a PC good enough to play them :P

You could easily build a PC that can play any title out on a decent graphical setting for around £300, which is only about £100 more than the 360 (dunno how much PS3's cost).

When you take into consideration that on release PC games retail at about £10 less than their console counterparts, once you have 10 games you've made up for the additional expense, anything after that you're effectively earning money on what you would've paid for a console.

Then to top it off if you would've had an Xbox you save a further £40 a year by getting a PC for not having to have a subscription to Live, and even get the same service as far as achievements, gamertags etc. are concerned with many releases now. Your Games For Windows Live achievements even count towards your XBL achievement score, if you're one of those obsessive points collectors.

Also many PC games support mods which hugely increase the replay value and often quality and enjoyment of a game. Particularly Bethesda titles, after playing Oblivion with a selection of mods I'd find it hard to go back to the 'vanilla' game.

You also get to take advantage of Steam and it's epic sales which can save even more money if you're buy at the right time.

I'm sure others can add reasons for PC being a better format and not really as pricey as it's made out to be, sure you can buy top of the line hardware, but if you go down a few specs you can find the 'sweet spot' with the best perfomance:price ratio, as it's only after a certain point that prices rocket up ridiculously for 'elite gamer' type hardware, which is generally unnecessary.

(Also, wired 360 gamepad plugs right into the PC and works on most new games)

By the way, I do own both a PC and 360, so not really any bias here :P And I still buy most games for PC rather than 360 other than exclusives or Brotherhood as there is no way I was going to wait till February for it :x
Winner of "The who are you again? Award for people who seem to slip under the radar, despite posting regularly" 2009!!

aaron_stacey
Leather Rebel

Postby aaron_stacey » Wed Nov 24, 2010 3:50 am

ps3 user here and i love it :yes: find it great for watching bbc iplayer lol never really had network problems and plays games online free. Also has given me heavy rain, mgs4, little big planet etc :D have had friends trying to taunt me before "look aaron new halo and you cant play it"
"......ive never liked halo or gears of war or fable"
"let us ponder on the meaning of life" "no no no holy fuck no!"

corrupt_toolbox
Denim Demon

Postby corrupt_toolbox » Wed Nov 24, 2010 4:49 am

Just stay about 8 years behind technology, then a standard work laptop can play any game you fancy. This has the added advantage of being exposed to much fewer shit games :yes:

Bisset
Denim Demon

Postby Bisset » Wed Nov 24, 2010 10:02 am

I still don't have internet access in the flat and the fucking Sundering is happening in WoW today. I also have about elevebty gillion Gbs of patches to download before I can play. I'm blaming everything that is making me angry about this on Sky and their shoddy service for fitting my internet
http://www.facebook.com/farseermetal

Jobdone wrote:Currently jealous of my mate whose got tomorrow off and can just hammer it for 3 days straight.

CrapyMike
Denim Demon

Postby CrapyMike » Wed Nov 24, 2010 12:20 pm

RB2610 wrote:
CrapyMike wrote:my xbox hasnt broke yet and i've had it nearly 2 years now :P no need to install my games, and a huge selection of games to choose from, why would i want anything else? there are very few games i want to play on PC and they're not worth the price of a PC good enough to play them :P

You could easily build a PC that can play any title out on a decent graphical setting for around £300, which is only about £100 more than the 360 (dunno how much PS3's cost).

When you take into consideration that on release PC games retail at about £10 less than their console counterparts, once you have 10 games you've made up for the additional expense, anything after that you're effectively earning money on what you would've paid for a console.

my 360 is the arcade one, with my old hard drive, and only cost £100, and there are less than 5 games i would want on PC, so for me its not really worth it. im a very big fan of not being forced to install games when its not necessary as well :yes:

in other news, im very near the end of brotherhood now, its actually annoyed me by being mission after mission without the option to do other stuff between, but once i complete it i should have plenty of time for all that
Matty_the_Emo_Slayer wrote:Is there an actual science of giving medical diagnosis by sniffing poo? I sometimes have a bit of a wiff from the paper and get curious if it smells different than usual.

V-Man
Paster of Muppets

Postby V-Man » Wed Nov 24, 2010 12:25 pm

CrapyMike wrote:
RB2610 wrote:

my 360 is the arcade one, with my old hard drive, and only cost £100, and there are less than 5 games i would want on PC, so for me its not really worth it. im a very big fan of not being forced to install games when its not necessary as well :yes:

in other news, im very near the end of brotherhood now, its actually annoyed me by being mission after mission without the option to do other stuff between, but once i complete it i should have plenty of time for all that

I've done quite alot of the extra missions but it just never ends :rolleyes:
I used to have a link to a social networking site here but these days you all probably already know who I am.

manowarrior
Leather Rebel

Postby manowarrior » Wed Nov 24, 2010 1:53 pm

Tempted to get the new Smackdown for the 360 as it's only £21 on Gameplay.

What is the create a mode story like? Any examples of what you can do would be most appreciated! :D
I can see by that look that you have in your eyes, you came here for metal to fight and to die!

CrapyMike
Denim Demon

Postby CrapyMike » Wed Nov 24, 2010 2:04 pm

not tried the create a story yet for some reason, but i'll give it a go later on and let you know what its like. i think you can add "moments" such as someone interfering or walking down to the announce table, attacking people on their way to the ring, vince can come out and give you another match at the end of a match. all those have happened to me in universe mode so im assuming you can add them to your storyline

Johnny Tightlips
Denim Demon

Postby Johnny Tightlips » Wed Nov 24, 2010 2:11 pm

I don't understand why people complain about install times. I mean, if you've waited 3 days for a game to arrive by post, can you really not wait another 5 - 10 minutes for it to install? Or are you really that impatient?

Also, pretty much everything that Rob said on the page before. PS3 vs 360 is always going to come down to personal preference, as we've discussed in here before. Personally, I can't fathom why anyone would buy a console that has no decent exclusive games (360) over a great console with some fantastic exclusive games + excellent media capabilities (PS3). But each to their own.

RedTeamWins
Denim Demon

Postby RedTeamWins » Wed Nov 24, 2010 2:28 pm

You got that completely backwards. The PS3 has one exclusive worth getting (MGS4 and perhaps a second, from what I've heard; Little Big Planet), and that's going on nerd impulse to finish the series rather than it being an actually good game.

I mean what else is there? God Of War? Grand Turismo? Resistance? Even Heavy Rain, which was one of the big draws for me, is completely shite.

herzeleid
Denim Demon

Postby herzeleid » Wed Nov 24, 2010 2:44 pm

Exclusives on both are generally godawful. Thing is though, developers tend to make games that are going on both on the Xbox first then port it over. I've heard of really bad issues with such games as Red Dead and Bayonetta on PS3.

P.S. It's finally happening http://www.lazygamer.net/rumour-elder-s ... -incoming/

That's just the first site I found on a google search, I found out myself through a different place, seems to be doing the rounds.
Last edited by herzeleid on Wed Nov 24, 2010 2:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.