The (Un) Official Football thread

Put the world to rights here (off-topic discussion)
jackcake
Denim Demon

Re: The (Un) Official Football thread

Postby jackcake » Wed Feb 23, 2011 5:54 pm

Not quite on the same level of celebrity but in 1999 Albion gave club legend Tony Brown a testimonial against Jamaica. As a way of saying thanks he said he'd watch the first half in the Brummie Road End. As luck would have it he sat next to me. :D

I had my little brother with me, who had drank too much Sunny D and needed the loo three times in 40 minutes. He had Bomber out of his seat so often that he almost started a Mexican wave. Embarrassing.

He autographed my ticket but I think I've lost it. :(
Sarchasm: The gulf between the author of sarcastic wit and the person who doesn't get it.

Last.fm

Chugging Pus
Leather Rebel

Postby Chugging Pus » Wed Feb 23, 2011 8:19 pm

My cousin played for Charlton Athletic about 10 years ago when they were getting big and always used to sit in the stands when he wasn't playing rather than the exclusive areas because he preferred the atmosphere.

In good local news, just a nice 6 - 0 victory!
"What we're having here is a secret conversation, and I'm hoping that this time, you can keep the fucking secret, because normally you're about as secure as a hymen in a South London comprehensive."

bisto
Slayer of Wimps/Posers

Postby bisto » Wed Feb 23, 2011 9:33 pm

resolute but uninspiring performance by United tonight the game was theirs for the taking The away goal rule might come back to haunt them in a fortnight

markguy764
Hell Bent for Leather

Postby markguy764 » Wed Feb 23, 2011 10:20 pm

bisto wrote:resolute but uninspiring performance by United tonight the game was theirs for the taking The away goal rule might come back to haunt them in a fortnight

Personally felt Marseille seemed better than us out there. Carrick was once again fucking useless and the ref seemed to give a freekick against nani anytime a marseille player fell on their fucking arse, but we should've been better.
Links to my Brighton based events company. Any bands wanting a gig in Brighton feel free to contact us.
http://jackhammermusic.co.uk/default.aspx
http://www.myspace.com/jackhammerpromotions
http://www.facebook.com/#!/group.php?gid=356209302783

bisto
Slayer of Wimps/Posers

Postby bisto » Wed Feb 23, 2011 10:42 pm

markguy764 wrote:
bisto wrote:resolute but uninspiring performance by United tonight the game was theirs for the taking The away goal rule might come back to haunt them in a fortnight

Personally felt Marseille seemed better than us out there. Carrick was once again fucking useless and the ref seemed to give a freekick against nani anytime a marseille player fell on their fucking arse, but we should've been better.

Formation was set not to concede with a very defensive midfield but it was an away game in Europe, a wide pitch, there are loads of games coming up and theres a big injury list. Carrick is indeed shite and yet supposedly about to sign another extension At least Fletcher put himself about Gibson was totally anonymous. Rooney played far too deep. Smalling looks the business though much better prospect than Evans. I'd be very happy with a 19th title this season.

VirginInvader
Denim Demon

Postby VirginInvader » Thu Feb 24, 2011 3:10 am

markguy764 wrote:

It might seem an obvious observation, but what goes around comes around. The players get the game that they ask for at the end of the day.
Seven Sisters - Proper Heavy Metal from London Town. Upcoming shows:

23/05 - Heavy Sound Festival, Poperinge, Belgium
18/07- Metalbrew, London
01/08 - The Black Heart, London
29/08- No Sleep 'Til Dublin

markguy764
Hell Bent for Leather

Postby markguy764 » Thu Feb 24, 2011 2:55 pm

VirginInvader wrote:
markguy764 wrote:

It might seem an obvious observation, but what goes around comes around. The players get the game that they ask for at the end of the day.

Fair point at beginning of season Nani was an embarrasment. he's got slightly better since then tho.
Links to my Brighton based events company. Any bands wanting a gig in Brighton feel free to contact us.
http://jackhammermusic.co.uk/default.aspx
http://www.myspace.com/jackhammerpromotions
http://www.facebook.com/#!/group.php?gid=356209302783

mcroper
Paster of Muppets

Postby mcroper » Thu Feb 24, 2011 3:53 pm

VirginInvader wrote:
markguy764 wrote:

From what i saw of the highlights he was rolling around on the floor every opportunity he got

Turbo
Denim Demon

Postby Turbo » Thu Feb 24, 2011 4:15 pm

3 days until the mighty Blues

get raped by Arsenal.

bisto
Slayer of Wimps/Posers

Postby bisto » Thu Feb 24, 2011 4:41 pm

mcroper wrote:[
From what i saw of the highlights he was rolling around on the floor every opportunity he got

That proves you weren't watching the same game........they weren't any "highlights"

Beardy
I am the Law!

Postby Beardy » Thu Feb 24, 2011 8:34 pm

Message to Christian Poulsen - the man who consistently picked Carlton Palmer for England says you look like you haven't a clue what to do with a football. There can be no harsher criticism. I swear he made more fouls than completed passes!

Arran
Consort of the Beast

Postby Arran » Fri Feb 25, 2011 3:16 pm

Cheick Tiote has signed a 6 and a half year deal! :D. Fantastic news to wake up to.

I'm sure I read somewhere that with him our win rate is 42%, and without him it's 12% :O Bloody glad we've got him tied down to an extended deal.

Darkweasel
Denim Demon

Postby Darkweasel » Sat Feb 26, 2011 9:02 am

Beardy wrote:Message to Christian Poulsen - the man who consistently picked Carlton Palmer for England says you look like you haven't a clue what to do with a football. There can be no harsher criticism. I swear he made more fouls than completed passes!

Funny actually. When Poulsen drifted through towards their goal on about 15 minutes, I said to myself "he hasn't got a fucking clue what to do with it. Not a fucking clue".
Five seconds later and Taylor, although slightly abbreviated for broadcast, said the same thing.
For all his faults though, Taylor did say some very complimentary things about our fans. Aside from mentioning how loud The Kop is on "those special european nights", not many commentators do.
Poulsen's crowning achievement in the match came when he tripped over his own feet and gave away a free kick.
Pure class that bloke.

Bizza
Paster of Muppets

Postby Bizza » Sat Feb 26, 2011 9:17 am

Arran wrote:Cheick Tiote has signed a 6 and a half year deal! :D. Fantastic news to wake up to.

I'm sure I read somewhere that with him our win rate is 42%, and without him it's 12% :O Bloody glad we've got him tied down to an extended deal.

Good news, it means we'll get more for him when he fucks off in the summer.
BOA - '07, '08, '09, '10, '11, '12, '13, '14, '15, '16, '17, '18,' 19, '21, '22, '23.
Warhorns '12 '15 '16
WOA - '15
Damnation - '12
Download - '16 (Never fucking again)

absol
Knight of the Eemerald Svord

Postby absol » Sat Feb 26, 2011 3:43 pm

Useless :|
http://facebook.com/theprincipalityofsealand

http://theunbearableadventuresofpercy.tumblr.com/ - My webcomic.
'The next Dilbert', according to a very close, sycophantic, over-excited friend of mine.

Solidarity forever.