movies

Put the world to rights here (off-topic discussion)
RedTeamWins
Denim Demon

Re: movies

Postby RedTeamWins » Thu Feb 24, 2011 8:34 pm

Watching Wanted.

Not sure how I'm supposed to care about this sociopathic sperglord of a protagonist, but ok.

Big D
Denim Demon

Postby Big D » Thu Feb 24, 2011 8:46 pm

RedTeamWins wrote:Watching Wanted.

Not sure how I'm supposed to care about this sociopathic sperglord of a protagonist, but ok.

In the comic he's worse.

RedTeamWins
Denim Demon

Postby RedTeamWins » Thu Feb 24, 2011 8:53 pm

But he's already that exact guy from the Disturbed video, where is there to go from there? D:

Luke_X
Denim Demon

Postby Luke_X » Fri Feb 25, 2011 2:51 am

i just hope they dont make a sequel as i thought Wanted was a load of sticky wank.

watched The Hangover today, wtf was all the hype about? it had about 3 jokes in it, most of which were in the the taser scene with the fat one. very disappointed

xBERSERKERx
Denim Demon

Postby xBERSERKERx » Fri Feb 25, 2011 3:43 am

Tonight I watched: P.S I love you, Meteor Shower.

Loved them both.

9/10. Taken me along time to be so fixed into a film such as these two.
Alex. wrote:This record better be as fit as Bezerker's ex's sister or I'm gonna be pissed.

Aaaarrrrgggghhhh
I am the Law!

Postby Aaaarrrrgggghhhh » Fri Feb 25, 2011 7:39 am

Luke_X wrote:i just hope they dont make a sequel as i thought Wanted was a load of sticky wank.

watched The Hangover today, wtf was all the hype about? it had about 3 jokes in it, most of which were in the the taser scene with the fat one. very disappointed

Agreed, both films are awful. Which means that we'll get at least 3 sequels for each.

Applecore
Denim Demon

Postby Applecore » Fri Feb 25, 2011 10:18 am

Aaaarrrrgggghhhh wrote:
Luke_X wrote:i just hope they dont make a sequel as i thought Wanted was a load of sticky wank.

Agreed, both films are awful. Which means that we'll get at least 3 sequels for each.

You're both off my christmas card list. I loved Wanted's over-the-top effects wankery, and The Hangover was fucking hilarious!
Not sure how a sequel to Wanted would work, considering how they left the film (as far as I can tell, quite far from the comic - I've only read the start of the first one as it came with the special edition dvd). But The Hangover's sequel is due this year and I've got high hopes for it. The director is good (as he's proven with Due Date) and the cast is excellent, but as we learned from Funny People - a good cast and director does not automatically make a good film..
Still, looking forward to it.
Buy me a beer at:
8-11/8 - Bloodstock

Darkweasel
Denim Demon

Postby Darkweasel » Fri Feb 25, 2011 11:12 am

TIME SLIP
aka GI Samurai
(1979)

Sonny Chiba (Kill Bill, The Bushido Blade) and his regiment of Self Defence Force soldiers (complete with tank, helicopter, jeep, APC and weapons), and much like more the well known The Final Countdown which would follow a few years later, are hurled back in time to civil war era Japan, circa 1549.

With little to no regard for the cause and effect laws of temporal mechanics theory, Chiba befriends a Samurai leader intent on becoming the supreme Shogun of Japan, and for no real reason aside from moving the story forward, decides they are kindred spirits and promises to help him on his quest.
As for explaining what a "Time Slip" actually is, we get nothing other than the phrase "Time Slip" spoken many, many times until you simply accept that's what has happened without any further question.

The characters here are nothing more than walking plot devices or expositional voices doing inexplicable things for unexplained reasons. However, at the end of the first hour (which contains a Lord of the Flies style clash of leadership subplot and some dangling from helicopters) we arrive at the centrepiece of the film - a 25 minute battle scene featuring approximately 20,000 Samurai in full warrior dress fighting soldiers from the future.
Although not the best choreographed battle sequence you'll ever see, it never, ever gets dull (I'm looking at you Matrix Revolutions). People hurl themselves into the air a second before any explosion occurs and some get thrown twenty feet into the air from a gunshot. But it's filmed and acted with so much enthusiasm, it really doesn't matter one jot. Still having another thirty minutes to run after the battle's climax, the film's final act is actually quite unexpected and very downbeat but not at all disappointing.

Aside from one brief scene featuring thirty seconds of hand to hand combat, there are no big Bruce Lee style displays of martial arts fighting, which is one of the only things that makes any sense and definitely works in it's favour.
The only major stumbling blocks are the shabby 1970's special effects (at the beginning and during some of the larger explosions it's quite obvious the actors are just stood infront of a big screen), it's running time (nearly two and a half hours including new footage), and the ludicrous assertion that, basically, by pissing time off by interfering, the Time Slip will send them back home just to get rid of them. Even with what had already gone before, my willing suspension of disbelief was tested to the limit with that little gem.

Still, it's got Samurai warriors, decapitations, limb hacking, throat slashing, gunplay, explosions, naked ladies, comedy characters, comedy haircuts, and some truly marvellous examples of maniacal laughter.
Having had fond memories of this film, after only seeing it once around 1985, I was hoping it would be as good as I remembered it.
And it was, just in a different way.
6.5/10

ANDREWHALL28
Denim Demon

Postby ANDREWHALL28 » Fri Feb 25, 2011 2:24 pm

New Liam Neeson film looks very good, safe to say he's having a new lease of life after Taken

Darkweasel
Denim Demon

Postby Darkweasel » Fri Feb 25, 2011 3:27 pm

ANDREWHALL28 wrote:New Liam Neeson film looks very good, safe to say he's having a new lease of life after Taken

Taken was completely ridiculous, utterly unbelievable and totally over the top.

I fucking loved it.

Applecore
Denim Demon

Postby Applecore » Fri Feb 25, 2011 7:09 pm

Taken has become a sort-of running joke with me and my friends. If stumped for a movie to watch over a few beers, 9/10 times it'll be Taken. It's just 90 minutes of Liam Neeson being fucking awesome - what more can you want?
Buy me a beer at:
8-11/8 - Bloodstock

someone else
Denim Demon

Postby someone else » Fri Feb 25, 2011 7:18 pm

Taken was great, and it had a lot to do with Neeson playing it straight, unlike the A Team, where he was dreadfull.

Watched Lovely Bones last night (hated it) and the original Brighton Rock (great, but fight scenes in old films do look crap). Fell asleep during Predators - liked what I can remember.
She wanted nothing...and I delivered

http://www.last.fm/user/apm11

clare-l
Denim Demon

Postby clare-l » Fri Feb 25, 2011 7:43 pm

speaking of Taken, I got a nice little amazon package a while back with Taken, In Bruges and Shutter Island. Love all three.

Applecore
Denim Demon

Postby Applecore » Fri Feb 25, 2011 8:28 pm

Just heard that The Gate is up for a remake, with Alex Winter directing..
This has the potential to be fucking awesome.

http://couchcutter.com/2011/01/26/serio ... te-remake/
Buy me a beer at:
8-11/8 - Bloodstock

RedTeamWins
Denim Demon

Postby RedTeamWins » Fri Feb 25, 2011 11:36 pm

Sunshine.

Welp. Yeah, that was certainly a thing.
Last edited by RedTeamWins on Fri Feb 25, 2011 11:37 pm, edited 2 times in total.