Computer Games Thread

Put the world to rights here (off-topic discussion)
Jobdone
Denim Demon

Re: Computer Games Thread

Postby Jobdone » Tue Dec 27, 2011 11:08 pm

Reviews for the day.

Arkham Asylum is great fun so far. The combat system is ridiculously fun, and flows beautifully well. Pretty fun knocking around in Detective Mode looking for Riddler stuff too.

Sonic Generations - Fucking glorious. Pure and simple. Whilst it lacked the original "SAY-GA" intro music, the first level was all nostalgia music. Plus I actually enjoyed the new style Sonic levels. They're crazy fast and fun.

Rusty Hearts - Free game. I only downloaded it because "Man, look at that achievement, I'm gonna get that achievement.", but it's quite fun. It's all combo-y dungeon clearing fun. Nothing too indepth so far, but nice graphical style (Cell-shaded anime type stuff) and I'll probably be picking it up again. It's online, and by the looks of things that's because soon I'll have to actually be making groups of people to clear dungeons.

herzeleid
Denim Demon

Postby herzeleid » Tue Dec 27, 2011 11:11 pm

Sonic Generations is fucking glorious, it's so so good.

Rayman Origins as well, plays like an absolute fucking dream. I didn't expect much, but i'm honestly blown away. Everyone must buy it. The art is fantastic as well.

Mario 3D is as good as I expected, looks like you would expect and in lovely 3D, and it super fun.

I also have Deus Ex and WWE12, but not opened them yet.

WoRLoKKeD
Knight of the Eemerald Svord

Postby WoRLoKKeD » Wed Dec 28, 2011 10:47 am

The only problem with Sonic Generations is the audible herpes that is a pop version of City Escape.
Kaahl wrote:Metal Hammer is actually Finnish for "Metal, My Arse!"

herzeleid
Denim Demon

Postby herzeleid » Wed Dec 28, 2011 11:05 am

You can listen to Sonic Boom in the game, so any bad music is cancelled out.

WoRLoKKeD
Knight of the Eemerald Svord

Postby WoRLoKKeD » Wed Dec 28, 2011 11:44 am

It's not a matter of hearing it, it's the principle.
Kaahl wrote:Metal Hammer is actually Finnish for "Metal, My Arse!"

Slayer-ov-orcs
Denim Demon

Postby Slayer-ov-orcs » Wed Dec 28, 2011 3:55 pm

The download for Dawn of War 2 Chaos Rising was only 1MB, wtf :lol:
Feel free to add me on last.fm http://www.last.fm/user/Slayer-ov-orcs

herzeleid
Denim Demon

Postby herzeleid » Fri Dec 30, 2011 11:14 am

WWE 12 is alright, but from what people claimed i'm pretty disappointed. The control system is meh at best, and just doesn't feel natural for me, and what the literal FUCK is with the AI? The amount of reversing is absolutely fucking shocking. I had to turn it right down, how can they claim it to be realistic when every move is reversed? Reversals like that are pretty rare in real life matches. Sigh.

Someone PLEASE remind me that WWE games aren't very good for next year please.

CrappyMike
Denim Demon

Postby CrappyMike » Fri Dec 30, 2011 1:59 pm

the idea was to not have one person dominate the match, so out of any situation when you're getting beat down you can pull it back. allowing you to change the rate of AI reversals and make your own reversals easier or harder to time right is great imo. i dont think they're any worse than any other yearly game, they just dont have time to make everything perfect but it flows so much better and has improved in virtually every way from last year.

moving on, ACR is wonderful. multiplayer is excellent, how is this not MP of the year? the only complaint i hear is its too slow, and people that say that are playing the wrong game. i never had any problems with high level players using abilities in brotherhood and havent had any in revelations, but if you do then just play simple deathmatch, no abilities.

WorMzy
Denim Demon

Postby WorMzy » Fri Dec 30, 2011 11:47 pm

Deus Ex: Human Revolution, £10.19 on Steam. Go go go!

Mike shut up. :P
"I don't always go to clubs... but when I do, I enter through the ladies room"
~ Adam Jenson

Ensorcelled
Denim Demon

Postby Ensorcelled » Sat Dec 31, 2011 12:16 am

I got two copies for free and I still haven't brought myself to completing the game. :lol:

CrappyMike
Denim Demon

Postby CrappyMike » Sat Dec 31, 2011 1:58 am

WorMzy wrote:Deus Ex: Human Revolution, £10.19 on Steam. Go go go!

Mike shut up. :P

i cant say anything bad now that it's come down to an appropriate price!

driver is annoying as hell but pretty good at the same time. the cops are dicks though :ugh:

had an interesting discussion with one of my friends earlier when i was playing CE anniversary, when he said it was much better than the original. it is the original, with new graphics stuck over the top :lol: it amazes me that people honestly think better graphics make a better game. :|

CrappyMike
Denim Demon

Postby CrappyMike » Sun Jan 01, 2012 2:41 pm

still only got one achievement in skyrim to go, but i seriously have no motivation to do it :( returning the thieves guild to its former glory, has anyone done it? it takes ages and its so boring

Applecore
Denim Demon

Postby Applecore » Sun Jan 01, 2012 3:17 pm

Got Sonic Generations, CoD: MW3 and Saint's Row: The Third for Christmas.
Think I'm about halfway through Sonic and so far I'm loving it. Forgot how frustrating platformers could be!
Finished Modern Warfare 3 pretty sharpish, which is quite bad considering I'm far from a good gamer :lol: But then, if you go into the Modern Warfare games (can't really speak for CoD as a whole) and expect a huge, in-depth story then you're only setting yourself up for disappointment. Short but fun.
Need to get back on Saint's Row 3, as I only played the first 20 mins. But enjoyed those 20 mins quite a lot. I couldn't help comparing it to GTA IV though, but then I was just thinking "this is so much better than GTA IV".
Since then, I've bought CoD: Modern Warfare 1 (because playing the games in the order of 2, 3, 1 makes perfect sense), CoD: World at War (which won't work on my PS3 as the disc is damaged) and Fallout: New Vegas (which so far is fun as hell, but I died just before a save point and got pissed off so I stopped playing).
Enjoying Modern Warfare 1 so far, but the early mission where you're fighting some guys in a tv studio is fucking hard and I kept getting annoyed. I like a challenge but when I'm being massacred by people I can't even see, it stops being fun.
Buy me a beer at:
8-11/8 - Bloodstock

mikeftw
Hell Bent for Leather

Postby mikeftw » Sun Jan 01, 2012 3:39 pm

CrappyMike wrote:still only got one achievement in skyrim to go, but i seriously have no motivation to do it :( returning the thieves guild to its former glory, has anyone done it? it takes ages and its so boring

The only achievement I havent got is the daedric quest one, because one of the missions has bugged out on me and I will have to start a new file :x

Just keep quitting the missions until you get them for the cities you need otherwise the achievement will take forever

CrappyMike
Denim Demon

Postby CrappyMike » Sun Jan 01, 2012 3:42 pm

the daedric quest are a pain in the ass, last one i got was boethiah and i needed to levbel up by smithing hundreds of iron daggers to reach level 30. all because i diddnt take the skull of corruption with my first character.