Next Announcement

August 10-13, Catton Park, Walton on Trent, Derbyshire
Leemanruss
Knight of the Eemerald Svord

Re: Next Announcement

Postby Leemanruss » Sat Feb 18, 2017 4:40 am

I would like to chip in with my view on the 'gay ' thing.

When I was a teenager of the age of 16, I thought the word 'gay' to mean 'lame' was hilarious. Now that Im 26, I think this is a term that has passed its relevance. It once meant 'lame' but in 2017, when 'gay' means something new, I dont think its right to use it in a negative light.

As for the recent announcement, I hate Chelsea Grin more than I've hated any other band, but I love Arch Enemy and Oni are pretty damn good
Atmosfest: '17 '18
BOA: '08 '09 '10 '11 '12 '13 '14 '15 '16 '17 '18 '19
Damnation: '11 '13 '16 '17
Download: '06
HammerFest: '09 '17
Hellfest: '17
HRH Vikings: '18
PMQF: '17 '18
Ragnarok: '18
Wacken: '17
Wacken Winter Nights: '19
Warhorns: '16 '17 '18 '19

metaldinosaur
Leather Rebel

Postby metaldinosaur » Sat Feb 18, 2017 5:54 pm

Leemanruss wrote:I would like to chip in with my view on the 'gay ' thing.

When I was a teenager of the age of 16, I thought the word 'gay' to mean 'lame' was hilarious. Now that Im 26, I think this is a term that has passed its relevance. It once meant 'lame' but in 2017, when 'gay' means something new, I dont think its right to use it in a negative light.

As for the recent announcement, I hate Chelsea Grin more than I've hated any other band, but I love Arch Enemy and Oni are pretty damn good

I agree that the time for using 'gay' as 'lame' has probably passed; whatever PC taboos it was lampooning have moved on, and therefore it lacks relevance. However, the point I was making is that aggressive policing of peoples language is far more unpleasant than any individual word used. Again I will say that the intent matters. There was no negativity in the original comment other than towards the band/name, which is fine by me. So what if the use of the word felt out of sync with a current cultural trend, culture and language evolve separate from individuals. Attacking people for using 'the wrong word' is bullshit, its a nasty little power grab and I won't entertain it.
Welcome to a brave new world/ The future here or haven't you heard?

Gandalf the Red
Denim Demon

Postby Gandalf the Red » Sat Feb 18, 2017 6:45 pm

I blame Canada.
“He likes having the ball, playing football, passes. It’s like an orchestra. But it’s a silent song. But I like heavy metal more. I always want it loud.” - Jürgen Klopp

CharlesDexterWard
Leather Rebel

Postby CharlesDexterWard » Sat Feb 18, 2017 11:22 pm

Death Angel have announced a Glasgow show on 9 Aug, hopefully a warm up for BOA.
You shall fetch me your universe's ultimate cup of coffee... black.
You have 5 Earth minutes...Make it perfect!

houston4044
Denim Demon

Postby houston4044 » Sun Feb 19, 2017 5:49 am

Skippy wrote:1 below Chelsea Grin, one above Decapitated on Friday would be my guess.

Saturday I can see Possessed on second or third, obviously headliner and special guests, otherwise no idea where the other bands are.

Yeah, probably smaller bands on Sunday I'd agree.

The way last few years have been I'd have thought there would be two smaller bands beneath CG, they play larger venues than most bands up the bill.
Gandalf the Red wrote:I blame Canada.

Xenophobia now as well as Homophobia? :P

Gandalf the Red
Denim Demon

Postby Gandalf the Red » Sun Feb 19, 2017 6:17 am

I would expect them to be openers or maybe with a small band below them. Heart Of A Coward were second from bottom last year and I had actually heard of them.

Anything else would put Whitechapel in a place far in excess of their worth.
“He likes having the ball, playing football, passes. It’s like an orchestra. But it’s a silent song. But I like heavy metal more. I always want it loud.” - Jürgen Klopp

Gandalf the Red
Denim Demon

Postby Gandalf the Red » Sun Feb 19, 2017 6:33 am

houston4044 wrote:

South Park innit.

That's the only place I can think of where I've heard gay and lame used in that fashion.

Kanwulf
Denim Demon

Postby Kanwulf » Sun Feb 19, 2017 11:04 am

Gandalf the Red wrote:
houston4044 wrote:

South Park innit.

That's the only place I can think of where I've heard gay and lame used in that fashion.

Well that's pretty gay.

houston4044
Denim Demon

Postby houston4044 » Sun Feb 19, 2017 8:40 pm

Gandalf the Red wrote:
houston4044 wrote:

South Park innit.

I know :P
I'm not your buddy guy!

Gandalf the Red wrote:I would expect them to be openers or maybe with a small band below them. Heart Of A Coward were second from bottom last year and I had actually heard of them.

Anything else would put Whitechapel in a place far in excess of their worth.

Last year also had Kill II this second on which is what makes me think otherwise :lol:
Just seems a bit of a jump from the likes of Hark to Chelsea Grin as openers, I would of said CG unfortunately seem to fit the size of a 2nd or 3rd band on.

florencethemachine
Consort of the Beast

Postby florencethemachine » Mon Feb 20, 2017 12:04 pm

Looking at the overall lineup, this year doesn't look half bad!! Apparently Hatebreed are/were touring with my homedawgs Dying Fetus. Would be an amazing Sophie Headliner and will go down incredibly well as an antithesis to what is looking to be a 'mainstream' Saturday headliner.

Some (good) Black Metal wouldn't go amiss mind. *cough* Batushka *cough*

denzil71
Lowly Peon

Postby denzil71 » Mon Feb 20, 2017 12:35 pm

florencethemachine wrote:Some (good) Black Metal wouldn't go amiss mind. *cough* Batushka *cough*

Was just checking them out this morning - nice call.

Warlock
Leather Rebel

Postby Warlock » Tue Feb 21, 2017 1:11 am

florencethemachine wrote:Looking at the overall lineup, this year doesn't look half bad!! Apparently Hatebreed are/were touring with my homedawgs Dying Fetus. Would be an amazing Sophie Headliner and will go down incredibly well as an antithesis to what is looking to be a 'mainstream' Saturday headliner.

Some (good) Black Metal wouldn't go amiss mind. *cough* Batushka *cough*

There are quite a few Death Metal bands I'd rather have to them, but they'd be ok, probably annoy alot on here who think there's too much of that kind of thing already though!

We need some Black Metal, doesn't seem right without it, I think we will get either 1349, Mayhem or Dimmu Borgir for bigger names.

keera_envenomed
Denim Demon

Postby keera_envenomed » Tue Feb 21, 2017 9:46 am

denzil71 wrote:
florencethemachine wrote:Some (good) Black Metal wouldn't go amiss mind. *cough* Batushka *cough*

Was just checking them out this morning - nice call.

Batushka would make me super happy. That would also mean a chance of getting Mgwa because even though it's supposed to be super hush hush who the members are, it can't be a coincidence that they always do festivals together.
2017 Gigs (here so I remember to go)

17/06 - Guns N' Roses - London
15/07 - Saor - London
10/08 - 13/08 - Bloodstock

Warlock
Leather Rebel

Postby Warlock » Wed Feb 22, 2017 12:38 am

Gandalf the Red wrote:Already knew about AE. Surprised they are so high up, but fits in with my rumour of a "smaller" band being the last headliner....

Haven't got a clue about the other two apart from previously seeing their names.

Hey you didn't answer me before :P who do you think the last headliner? Kreator? Devin Townsend?

Haldamir319
Hell Bent for Leather

Postby Haldamir319 » Wed Feb 22, 2017 8:57 am

Warlock wrote:
Gandalf the Red wrote:Already knew about AE. Surprised they are so high up, but fits in with my rumour of a "smaller" band being the last headliner....

Haven't got a clue about the other two apart from previously seeing their names.

Hey you didn't answer me before :P who do you think the last headliner? Kreator? Devin Townsend?

Didn't Gandalf suggest that the band he had in mind "would struggle to draw in London"? I mean, that sounds a pretty bold statement for a headliner (even if it were somebody like Helloween, they'd certainly 'draw').