Delain

Tell us who you'd like to see playing BOA 2018
Black Wizard
Leather Rebel

Delain

Postby Black Wizard » Tue Aug 22, 2017 3:31 pm

Delain are one of my big requests for next year. Over the last year or so they've become one of my favourite bands after I missed them at Download last year because of traffic. I went to their London show because I wanted to see Evergrey again and by the time the concert came around I was looking forward to Delain much more. They headlined the Sophie stage in 2015 (because of that irritating 'We are the Others' song) and I really wish I'd been there that year, partly because of Within Temptation headlining and because Delain were in the signing tent. However, I didn't even listen to that sort of Metal at the time and never thought I would start listening to it. :lol: If they play next year then I hope they're in the signing tent again, purely because I really want to meet Charlotte. :love: They've got another show in London at the start of November with Marco Hietalalalala from Nightwish, so perhaps Bloodstock could put Delain on the same day and arrange a guest appearance.

Here Come the Vultures
Danse Macabre
We Are the Others (I suppose I should include this, despite how annoying it is)

robin8585
Knight of the Eemerald Svord

Re: Delain

Postby robin8585 » Tue Aug 22, 2017 3:50 pm

Would very much like to see these back.

Powerslave
Slayer of Wimps/Posers

Postby Powerslave » Tue Aug 22, 2017 5:08 pm

yes please, one of my favourites.

samlewis45
Definitely Not Nu

Postby samlewis45 » Tue Aug 22, 2017 6:40 pm

Another vote for Delain. They always deliver live

jwh20
Slayer of Wimps/Posers

Postby jwh20 » Tue Aug 22, 2017 7:00 pm

Am I the only one who doesn't think much of them live? I always watch them when they're at festivals (which is all the time), I think I've seen them 9 times and been impressed maybe three.

I haven't seen them since the new album dropped though, so would be game for seeing them again, mainstage this time would be good. I just never want to have to hear the title track of We are the Others again though.

Black Wizard
Leather Rebel

Postby Black Wizard » Tue Aug 22, 2017 7:53 pm

Other than Bloodstock, what festivals have you seen them at? I first saw them opening Sonisphere 2010 and had no idea who they were at the time. I think I'd completely forgotten about them until last year. :lol:

jwh20
Slayer of Wimps/Posers

Postby jwh20 » Wed Aug 23, 2017 10:12 am

Black Wizard wrote:Other than Bloodstock, what festivals have you seen them at? I first saw them opening Sonisphere 2010 and had no idea who they were at the time. I think I'd completely forgotten about them until last year. :lol:

Download 16, Metal Days 16, Masters of rock 15, bloodstock 15, 4 headline shows and once as support for Within Temptation. I arrived too late in the day to see them at Hellfest 16.

Enjoyed two of their headline shows, and the WT one, been bored at the others. They just never play any of my favourite songs, but even when they play some I like they don't seem to into it. Charlotte just seems to go through the motions at every show.

Powerslave
Slayer of Wimps/Posers

Postby Powerslave » Wed Aug 23, 2017 12:25 pm

jwh20 wrote:Charlotte just seems to go through the motions at every show.

Each to their own obviously, but that's a complete load of rubbish in my opinion. She's one of the best frontpersons I've ever seen, and consistently so.

jwh20
Slayer of Wimps/Posers

Postby jwh20 » Wed Aug 23, 2017 12:50 pm

she says literally the same thing between songs at every show like she's reading a script, I've seen other bands lots of times on the same tour before that don't do it, it seems a but robotic. She never seems to put as much into her vocals as say: Floor Jansen, Marcela Bovio, Anneke Van Giersbergen...but then that might just be from over exposure to them, who knows, a few years since seeing them and they might impress me. Plus I'm just growing out of that whole "female fronted gothic/symphonic metal" thing in general

Black Wizard
Leather Rebel

Postby Black Wizard » Wed Aug 23, 2017 2:31 pm

jwh20 wrote:Enjoyed two of their headline shows, and the WT one, been bored at the others. They just never play any of my favourite songs, but even when they play some I like they don't seem to into it.

That's odd. When I saw them in London last year they were fantastic and all of them seemed to be enjoying themselves.

Powerslave wrote:Each to their own obviously, but that's a complete load of rubbish in my opinion. She's one of the best frontpersons I've ever seen, and consistently so.

Yeah, I thought she was excellent last year.

jwh20 wrote:she says literally the same thing between songs at every show like she's reading a script, I've seen other bands lots of times on the same tour before that don't do it, it seems a but robotic. She never seems to put as much into her vocals as say: Floor Jansen, Marcela Bovio, Anneke Van Giersbergen...

Lots of singers do that, including Bruce Dickinson. The guy in Ghost introduces 'Monstrous Clock' in the same way every time. James Hetfield talks about the "Metallica family" at every show. I'm sure there are plenty of examples. I can't even remember what she said between songs last year.

I can't compare what Charlotte's live vocals are like to Floor Jansen's (only seen here once and didn't know the songs) and I haven't seen the other two live, but she was note perfect last year. But you can go and enjoy Tom Araya's magnificent vocals if you want to. :P

someone else
Denim Demon

Postby someone else » Wed Aug 23, 2017 6:31 pm

Liked them on their tour last year -mainly went for Evergrey but Delain were really good. Didn't find her robotic at all, sure the lives may be repeated but nearly all bands do that
She wanted nothing...and I delivered

http://www.last.fm/user/apm11

Tet
Denim Demon

Postby Tet » Fri Aug 25, 2017 4:55 pm

jwh20 wrote:Charlotte just seems to go through the motions at every show.

I've seen them I think 9 or 10 times now, at both their own headline shows and at festivals, and I can't say this matches my experience.
CH3NO2 -- It's the only way to be sure
You laugh at me because I'm different. I pity you, you're all the same...

Deuxx13
Lowly Peon

Postby Deuxx13 » Tue Aug 29, 2017 11:50 am

Absolutely! Would love to see them

SlaineD
Powermetal Child

Postby SlaineD » Tue Aug 29, 2017 12:00 pm

Not a fan - always feel like they are writing the theme song for a JRPG. However, given the comments would be keen to hear them live. I doubt I would ever go to a live show of theirs alone. At least prior to that.

Black Wizard
Leather Rebel

Postby Black Wizard » Tue Aug 29, 2017 1:09 pm

SlaineD wrote:Not a fan - always feel like they are writing the theme song for a JRPG.

Thanks, now I'm going to think about anime every time I listen to Delain.